• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why Mask Wearing is my Civic Duty

FD1791D3-D293-47FA-8F88-845F5D3FFC90.jpeg

Mask Studies and reading other people's interpretation of the results and study focus I think is part of the confusion

Conflating respiratory aerosols and respiratory droplets

Studies that were completed a decade before covid 19 on influenza determined that there is a significant difference in what masks can block with regards to respiratory aerosols vs respiratory droplets

The short story is masks do very little (not statistically significant, even for N95) to block respiratory aerosols
however
even the crappy blue surgical masks do block a significant percentage of respiratory droplets

This aerosols vs droplets is what is confusing people on masks working or not to prevent covid and why there has been back and forth even with the experts.

The problem with covid and masks is that covid was confirmed transmitting from human to human via the much much much smaller respiratory aerosols which masks do not impact significantly.

compared to droplets, aerosolized particles are infinitesimal. Size alone is not the only important distinction: Droplets fall to earth quickly, but aerosols can travel on air currents potentially for hours

If you accept the science that covid is transmitted in the aerosols, and studies show masks do not significantly impact these aerosols, then you have 2+2 = surgical or n95 type masks are not preventing covid,

Putting that aside, lets look at masks and respiratory droplets for a minute, the larger particles that masks can help block.

Here is a statement

Every time you breathe out of your nose or mouth, you don't breathe out just air. The water in your breath is what makes your glasses fog up when you are wearing a mask and why you can see your breath on a cold day. That water is respiratory droplets of different sizes that travel different distances in the air.

I wear glasses full time, every single mask I ever wore cause my glasses to fog up. THINK about that one for a minute....

Masks are not doing much to prevent human to human transmission of a virus in most day to day

Thank you for participating in this most Zen-like thread.

The first part of your post seems incorrect.

If Covid aerosols are 1 to 8 Micrometers in diameter, and the N95 filters to 0.1 to 0.3. Micrometers in Diameter, why is the N95 filter ineffective?

Nor sure what I’m missing.

Sorry if already answered. I’m having difficulty reading through the pages of bickering.

Agreed, due to air leaks, I would never recommend a poor fitting N95 to protect from virus aerosols.

I have not really addressed my problem with you, specifically. This is primarily because I'm doubtful of anyone on this site taking a discussion seriously and thus it not being worth my time to go into longform conversation, but you might be an exception, so, here we go. That said, I'm happy to revert back to the pithy shit instead of respectful conversation if this goes sideways with you:

You've completely dismissed anything that doesn't agree with you outright, and seemingly refuse to even consider evidence of the *possibility* or *probability* that masks *might* help. The difference in our positions seems to be that you need irrefutable proof before you take an action that *might* protect yourself or your loved ones. That's like refusing to fight an intruder before he's in the house and instead requiring a guilty verdict from a court room before you'd pick up arms, which, like masks, are just tools that are also no guarantee of success. Obviously, I suspect neither you, nor most on this site, would wait for incontrovertible proof in that circumstance, but why would you/they require it in the case of a virus we reasonably perceived as a threat? Also, why have you come to a conclusion at all without irrefutable proof that masks do not work? Your bias seems to be in the standard of proof required for coming to one conclusion instead of its opposite... Or, have you incorrectly concluded from the evidence you've provided that you have irrefutable proof of their ineffectiveness?

You are one of the only or perhaps the only person in this thread even attempting to characterize the antagonism of mask-wearing, mandate-opposed, conservatives like me as reasonable and evidence-based. However, it seems to me that you're confusing 'lack of evidence' from the only cherry-picked studies you'll accept with 'irrefutable evidence' of both ineffectiveness & harm. To an open-minded, reasonable person, this comes across as clearly wrong, at least from what you've provided to this point.

Now, if you actually want to seem reasonable in taking such an affirmative, antagonistic position, then the burden is on you to prove the harm, and therefore the unreasonableness, of mask wearing... not just their ineffectiveness, which you still have not done. It's not good enough that you find studies that fail to find statistically significant evidence that masks help. That's a misunderstanding of statistical results, and that is the area of my expertise (Master's in ORSA). Others studies do find statistically significant evidence of effectiveness and I will continue to provide them here, if for no other reason then the entertainment of stringing out this thread and antagonizing my wanna-be antagonizers, even though you will continue to dismiss them...

Nevertheless, your refutations are still the wrong approach. To rightfully antagonize the reasonable position of attempting to protect oneself and loved ones with masks, you must affirmatively demonstrate statistically significant evidence of unmitigable harm. The closest I have seen here is the claim that the mandate is harmful, with which I am already in agreement. I'm beyond reasonably confident that you cannot demonstrate that properly worn masks are harmful, for if they were, that fact would have been clearly discovered and demonstrable by the millions of medical workers who have worn them correctly every workday for decades. So, at worst-case, I'm neither harming nor helping myself or my family. At best-case I successfully mitigated the transmission of COVID from outside of my home to its inside. Those of your persuasion never tried, and I support the right to do that, but I believe the decision was dubious, particularly if you have health-compromised or elderly family in your home.

Point made, for now.

Today's evidence countering your Cochrane review post:
Here's a quote from the editor-in-chief of the library that commissioned the Cochrane review you cited: "Many commentators have claimed that a recently updated Cochrane Review shows that 'masks don't work,' which is an inaccurate and misleading interpretation."

So, your turn. Link the studies that suggest wearing masks may be an unmitigable health hazard? To be clear, I don't want you to show me how idiots or populations can harm themselves. I also don't care to argue the socio-political value of pushing back against unwarranted mandates. I want you to show me how I, as an individual, cannot avoid harm despite training and discipline. All I've seen from you so far is suggestions that they haven't been proven to work, and rejections of anything suggesting that they might. The difference is, if you can demonstrate unmitigable harm, meaning training and disciplined use of masks is still harmful, you could actually change my mind. I know I cannot change yours.
s-4b4fd78f5e44ddf740af1af819b3ce4da2a98e6b.gif

Thank you for participating in this most Zen-like thread.

The first part of your post seems incorrect.

If Covid aerosols are 1 to 8 Micrometers in diameter, and the N95 filters to 0.1 to 0.3. Micrometers in Diameter, why is the N95 filter ineffective?

Nor sure what I’m missing.

Sorry if already answered. I’m having difficulty reading through the pages of bickering.

Agreed, due to air leaks, I would never recommend a poor fitting N95 to protect from virus aerosols.
I would suggest you contact the scientists that published the correcting article here

And ask them to explain their results to you in more detail.

I will state you are over simplifying a more complicated issue down to "particles size is all that matters" and there is more to it.

I would suggest you contact the scientists that published the correcting article here

I will state you are over simplifying a more complicated issue down to "particles size is all that matters" and there is more to it.
Thank you for the informative reply.

I say, I do declare, I that ’ve never read any of those long-haired books, but this one here seems easy to understand.

Published February 5th 2023.

“The updated Figure 2 detailing N95 respirator versus surgical mask effectiveness against influenza‐like illness demonstrates no significantly superior protective effect among masking types.”

May your aim always be true, brother.

Last edited:
I forgot about this thread, im glad someone resurrected it.

I wonder if OP ever took the weiner out of his mask....im sure thats all he was trying to hide.

Reactions: Yasherka
OP: I wear it for the feelz. See how much better of a person I am than you?
Everyone else: So, you're saying that you regularly play at being a 15 year old girl and you have no actual reason?

I guess it's easier than walking around with your head actually up your own ass out of solidarity with the 25% of the population that habitually taste windows.

No, you dolt. All he does is wear a cheap piece of toilet paper.

Dear Kenny.

Thank you again for the link and info.

Does the study indicate of the results are from mask leakage or the filter medium?

N95 are known for not providing better protection than a surgical, due to leakage.

I tried contacting them but did not find any contact info on the page. I’m too lazy to send mail to the street address.

Thank you in advance.

I have more respect for the dumbasses that wore the mask because they are stupid enough to believe what they were being told than all the people who wore a mask solely because they were being told to and it was easier to kneel than to stand for what they believed. Many of you guys posting in this very thread fall into the latter group of cowards. Several even admitted to it in the thread. At least some of you are honest cowards. I lost years off my life but gained a whole new perspective over this covid tyranny.

I have more respect for the dumbasses that wore the mask because they are stupid enough to believe what they were being told than all the people who wore a mask solely because they were being told to and it was easier to kneel than to stand for what they believed. Many of you guys posting in this very thread fall into the latter group of cowards. Several even admitted to it in the thread. At least some of you are honest cowards. I lost years off my life but gained a whole new perspective over this covid tyranny.

When my kid went into the hospital I wore a mask and didn't give a shit. Primarily bc with her in the NICU it actually made sense to do my best to not bring ANYTHING into that isolet with her.

You do make a valid point...though I would say I didn't gain a new perspective, more, my perspective was confirmed and in some ways, even made clearer.

Reactions: BufordTJustice
More from the annals of shit you'll reject because your opinions are better than rigorously-tested, unbiased, scientific data... aka you're mentally retarded. BTW, this was done prior to any political influence over COVID-19.

It's common sense, retards, that putting on a filter filters shit:

Rates of all outcomes were consistently lower in the continuous N95 and/or targeted N95 arms. In adjusted analysis, rates of laboratory-confirmed bacterial colonisation (RR 0.33, 95% CI 0.21-0.51), laboratory-confirmed viral infections (RR 0.46, 95% CI 0.23-0.91) and droplet-transmitted infections (RR 0.26, 95% CI 0.16-0.42) were significantly lower in the continuous N95 arm. Laboratory-confirmed influenza was also lowest in the continuous N95 arm (RR 0.34, 95% CI 0.10-1.11), but the difference was not statistically significant. Rates of laboratory-confirmed bacterial colonisation (RR 0.54, 95% CI 0.33-0.87) and droplet-transmitted infections (RR 0.43, 95% CI 0.25-0.72) were also lower in the targeted N95 arm, but not in medical mask arm.

When only the continuous N95 arm was compared against control, the risk of laboratory-confirmed influenza was significantly lower in continuous N95 arm (RR 0.23 and 95% CI 0.06-0.93, or 77% efficacy).

Last edited:
so what was your n95 protocol? did you replace it hourly, daily. how many times did you take it off and on , the same mask? did you keep your replacements in a controlled environment? did you hang it from your rear view mirror? just wondering how indepth this went.

so what was your n95 protocol? did you replace it hourly, daily. how many times did you take it off and on , the same mask? did you keep your replacements in a controlled environment? did you hang it from your rear view mirror? just wondering how indepth this went.
Ok... We can go down that rabbit-hole of speculation about whether I was trained and properly disciplined. First, I'd like to see unanimous acknowledgment, or at least consensus, that the answer is relevant because they work. Otherwise, what's the point in going further into it?

More from the annals of shit you'll reject because your opinions are better than rigorously-tested, unbiased, scientific data... aka you're mentally retarded. BTW, this was done prior to any political influence over COVID-19.

Rates of all outcomes were consistently lower in the continuous N95 and/or targeted N95 arms. In adjusted analysis, rates of laboratory-confirmed bacterial colonisation (RR 0.33, 95% CI 0.21-0.51), laboratory-confirmed viral infections (RR 0.46, 95% CI 0.23-0.91) and droplet-transmitted infections (RR 0.26, 95% CI 0.16-0.42) were significantly lower in the continuous N95 arm. Laboratory-confirmed influenza was also lowest in the continuous N95 arm (RR 0.34, 95% CI 0.10-1.11), but the difference was not statistically significant. Rates of laboratory-confirmed bacterial colonisation (RR 0.54, 95% CI 0.33-0.87) and droplet-transmitted infections (RR 0.43, 95% CI 0.25-0.72) were also lower in the targeted N95 arm, but not in medical mask arm.

When only the continuous N95 arm was compared against control, the risk of laboratory-confirmed influenza was significantly lower in continuous N95 arm (RR 0.23 and 95% CI 0.06-0.93, or 77% efficacy).

I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

They only work if all of the proper criteria are met. If not, it’s the same as putting a piece of underwear in front of your face

Reactions: Yasherka
Ok... We can go down that rabbit-hole of speculation about whether I was trained and properly disciplined. First, I'd like to see unanimous acknowledgment, or at least consensus, that the answer is relevant because they work. Otherwise, what's the point in going further into it?
Do everyone a favor. Don't go into it. It's clear that you are pushing a false agenda.

Very few, if anyone here cares what you think.

Do everyone a favor. Don't go into it. It's clear that you are pushing a false agenda.
He asked. Obviously, I don't care to. It would be irrelevant.
Very few, if anyone here cares what you think.
If that were true, they would shut up about it. I've only exposed their hypocrisy and unabashed ignorance when attacked, criticized, ridiculed, etc... I would not have even rejoined and caused the expansion of this thread by multiple pages if I weren't explicitly called out by name, but it's been and should continue to be fun demonstrating their stupidity for the foreseeable future with study after study... The studies so far are just the tip of the iceberg. Besides, what happened to everyone enjoying the thread? It'll be great to see it at the top of this forum for a long time to come, right?

I'm apparently the enemy for reaching my own evidence-backed conclusions and acting in accordance with them, even though I disagree with both the vaccine and mask mandates, am a conservative, like guns, am a live-and-let-live kinda guy, and all the rest. It's simply a matter of it might have helped and wouldn't be harmful to the health of myself and my family.

They're really kind of pathetic for insisting on their own group-think ideologies and in trying to push them onto others. They act exactly like the extreme left does in their intolerance, while screaming at the top of their figurative lungs about how the same type of intolerance sucks. All of you are right about that. It does! So do you!

Last edited:
He asked. Obviously, I don't care to. It would be irrelevant.

If that were true, they would shut up about it. I've only exposed their hypocrisy and unabashed ignorance when attacked, criticized, ridiculed, etc... I would not have even rejoined and caused the expansion of this thread by multiple pages if I weren't explicitly called out by name, but it's been and should continue to be fun demonstrating their stupidity for the foreseeable future with study after study... The studies so far are just the tip of the iceberg. Besides, what happened to everyone enjoying the thread? It'll be great to see it at the top of this forum for a long time to come, right?

I'm apparently the enemy for reaching my own evidence-backed conclusions and acting in accordance with them, even though I disagree with both the vaccine and mask mandates, am a conservative, like guns, am a live-and-let-live kinda guy, and all the rest. It's simply a matter of it might have helped and wouldn't be harmful to the health of myself and my family.

They're really kind of pathetic for insisting on their own group-think ideologies and in trying to push them onto others. They act exactly like the extreme left does in their intolerance, while screaming at the top of their figurative lungs about how the same type of intolerance sucks. All of you are right about that. It does! So do you!
Jeebuz. Well, I’ll give you credit, you got around to mentioning “groupthink” before I had to mention it to you. Most of the same dweebs before you weren’t that on top of their games.

Oh, and just for shits and grins, where, in your humble opinion, did CV19 come from ?

Last edited:
Good. We're in perfect agreement.
Congratulations, you’re one of about 37 people in the country that might have actually done this correctly. Unless you used a mask longer than 30 minutes -or- reused a mask…

And if you didn’t do this properly you were giving everyone who gave a fuck about this fraud a false sense of security and potentially infecting anyone you came in close contact with

Jeebuz. Well, I’ll give you credit, you got around to mentioning “groupthink” before I had to mention it to you. Most of the dweebs before you weren’t that on top of their games.

Oh, and just for shits and grins, where, in your humble opinion, did CV19 come from ?
He is evolving.
He took a break, now he is back, with a tweaked position.

Congratulations, you’re one of about 37 people in the country that might have actually done this correctly. Unless you used a mask longer than 30 minutes -or- reused a mask…

And if you didn’t do this properly you were giving everyone who gave a fuck about this fraud a false sense of security and potentially infecting anyone you came in close contact with

Don't buy his lie.

To the Roman asshole.
You couldn't even buy a proper N95 in 2020.
I managed to buy some in late 2021 to work the drywall in my house. $3.50 each.
You would need no less than 10- N95 masks in the job i retired from in 2020. Most anyone would need at least 5 per day,
It was economically prohibitive to wear N95 masks in everyday life.
In my job, the ass rag masks soon filled the trash cans. "Use less masks." Wasn't long before higher upside wanted people wearing only a few masks per shift, in a workplace rife with biological contaminants. They were unhappy about our glove budget, long before 2020 came along.
I did not wear a mask from the beginning. Mostly because I have been through many, many pathogen training classes in my former 30+ year career.
In the beginning, I said wear it if it makes you feel better. I was a night shift supervisor, I had a boss who wasn't a complete moron. If you wanted to wear a ass rag on your face fine, if you are gonna do it, throw it in the fucking trash when you touch it with your shitty hands, or when you go to the bathroom, or when you eat lunch, or...etc.
PEOPLE DONT DO THIS. Not withstanding, an ass rag does diddly shit for dust, let alone anything else, and is in fact, a source of ready contamination for a whole laundry list of nasty shit.
Yeah, an N95 is better than an ass rag doctor mask. So?
No one was wearing them. No one was following proper protocol if they were wearing them, no one was replacing them at a correct interval, and the real kicker, asymptomatic people wearing masks is fucking retarded.
And if You say "but" or "oh yes they were" you are lying.
Even if you followed protocol to the letter....N95 wearers could still get and transmit a virus.

All the bullshit you keep spouting is disingenuous.
You are now reduced to arguing "ah but the N95" and screaming, "acknowledge im right!"
No
You are still fucking wrong.
You show "this" to "prove that".
You are an ignorant hack, with an overinflated notion about your intelligence.

I've dealt with assholes like you from January 2020 till now. You think you are the only person who can interpret data. The problem is, you don't understand how the data is generated.
Again. You must think Scientific Method is an 80s rock band.

When my kid went into the hospital I wore a mask and didn't give a shit. Primarily bc with her in the NICU it actually made sense to do my best to not bring ANYTHING into that isolet with her.

You do make a valid point...though I would say I didn't gain a new perspective, more, my perspective was confirmed and in some ways, even made clearer.
You realize that everything you touched with your hands brought germs in....no matter how much sanitizer you used. Your clothes had stuff on them. Unless you were in an isolation suit it don't matter if you wear a mask.....

Doc

I will say... You dont give in easily... Thinking you wont ever wake up.. Masks never worked and still wont but when you are blind you can never see.