• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Why no digital data books??

jpmuscle

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2008
I was pondering this today, with all the computer power out there why is it there are no digital data books? (if their are Ive never seen the program)

If you had a program that would allow you to input all of your environmental conditions and plot impact data at various ranges and then interpret said data I would think that would allow for the creation of far more detailed and reliable trend over time recognition and evaluations especially for cold bore and first round firing in a variety of conditions. Hell you could probably display everthing in nice little graphs that could expidite your thought process. Does this make sense or am I over thinking this?

Also this would be different than your regular ballistic calculators since it would store and evaluate the data entered over the life of your rifle.

- john

Re: Why no digital data books??

That would be a great idea. Let it store 5 to 10 rifles, and have a ballistic calculator with it.

dam I wish I was really tech savy or I would.. well if somebody does it I get the credit. ha!

Idk tho I must be missing something obvious as to explain why it hasnt been done already.

I jus think the idea of looking at a digital display of your cold bore shot card or 10 rnd target cared where you can highlight your impacts with dots and store all the data on digital yet printable cards would be great. Not to mention the idea of long term analysis

There is (was) a program for Palm pda known as 'Score' - designed for plotting shots on a round bullseye target with a decimal scoring system (10-X). Worked pretty well but I don't use a Palm anymore.

Ballistic for the iPod/iPhone offers similar capability, but its still pretty rudimentary at this point - its very difficult to plot the shots as the app lacks any ability to zoom in on the plot area at this time.

Neither offers any capability for trending that I know of.

HTH,

Monte

Patagonia Loadbase has it already, always has since the beginning you can even electronically enter your targets into it if you use theirs I think.

I use the Patagonis software all the time (I have tried EVERYTHING ELSE POSSIBLE) and it blows the rest out of the water.

It has everything you are requesting here PLUS PLUS PLUS.

I honestly cannot say how good I think it is and the developlment team are fantastic to work with as well.

regards

Ewen

interesting, that may be worth the investment