• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why no love for the Savage

L2bravo

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2012
Republic of Texas.
So I’m new to the long range game so please excuse the lack of knowledge.

So why is there really no mention of the Savage guns here? Are just out of favor, or is there not something not right about them? Thanks guys, merry Christmas.

About once every six months, someone will post this exact same question. It’s always a Shi-Sho too.

Bottom line is that for belly shooting, square range bench and basic hunting, the Savage rifles are adequate and often shoot really well out if the box. They are typically not up to the rigors of the precision rifle field style competition though and have common failure modes that are the reason for this. The LRP versions typically shoot really well, but are too barrel heavy. The action has issues and is not up to the task of heavy repetitive use typically.

I do own a Savage in .338 and it is a shooter. Great for belly shooting elr. I know a few people that have them and have spent the money to try and make them suitable for match use (not F-Class) and all ended up spending the money to buy one of the many available off the shelf comp rifles currently available.

In short, if you get a good one, they are fine for what they are worth, but the axiom that you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear applies here.

While I was writing this, @richthe1 posted a link to one of the recent threads asking the same question.

Well I will say I really enjoy my savage....enough to put it in a chassis with a match barrel and it shoots and cycles fantastically.
That does not mean there aren't better but isnt that ALWAYS going to be the case.
And it didnt cost me my left nut!

Wow! First off I apologize for not using the search function, I didn’t think there was that much there to not love. I’ve got a Ruger RPR , That I just finished up some upgrades on, and have not even shot it yet. It was just a question of curiosity more than anything, and I really appreciate you guys and put. Thank you again, Josh

There seems to be those that supposedly have savage bolt rifles that have never malfunctioned or very rarely. Then the rest of us are scratching our heads wondering how that's possible considering the varied problems we've had with them.

If I ever bought a savage again it'd be the single shot benchrest action. I do like the barrel nut system and the floating bolt head design which have been borrowed and put in higher quality actions.

Oh boy, sorry I asked. I just read that. I was truly asking an innocent question.
You’re totally fine! I’m still trying to figure out the search function on here too - I rarely seem to find what I’m looking for haha. I just happened to remember that one from a couple months ago.

Reactions: L2bravo
86570619-C5C8-4D20-8E88-D73D062B4E55.png

Should really get hung up on brand names if a $1000 rifle can bang steel at a 1000 yards the same as a $10,000.00 rifle then you just saved $9000.00.If it about banging steel and the size of your wallet then opt for the $15,000.00 rifle set up.

I had the opportunity to shoot at a private sporting clays club, pro shop has $200,000.00 to $300,000.00 shotguns which few of the members have. One of the shooting instructors had his friend at the club with a remington shotgun with duct tape holding the stock together who out shot these members using a $300,000.00 shotgun.

Wow! First off I apologize for not using the search function, I didn’t think there was that much there to not love. I’ve got a Ruger RPR , That I just finished up some upgrades on, and have not even shot it yet. It was just a question of curiosity more than anything, and I really appreciate you guys and put. Thank you again, Josh

Your RPR is leaps and bounds ahead of a savage.

It’s best to lay down quietly until that curiosity goes away.

Reactions: L2bravo
Should really get hung up on brand names if a $1000 rifle can bang steel at a 1000 yards the same as a $10,000.00 rifle then you just saved $9000.00.If it about banging steel and the size of your wallet then opt for the $15,000.00 rifle set up.

I had the opportunity to shoot at a private sporting clays club, pro shop has $200,000.00 to $300,000.00 shotguns which few of the members have. One of the shooting instructors had his friend at the club with a remington shotgun with duct tape holding the stock together who out shot these members using a $300,000.00 shotgun.
This is like saying a 92 Honda Civic is better than a Ferrari 599 gto. They both drive on the road and will get you there.

Seems legit.

This is like saying a 92 Honda Civic is better than a Ferrari 599 gto. They both drive on the road and will get you there.

Seems legit.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have the Ferrari over the Honda and a $300,000.00 shotgun but that shotgun isn't going to make me break anymore clays then I can presently break with my $2000.00 shotgun.

Reactions: 308220
You act as if putting a shotgun that costs as much as some houses into someone’s hands should automatically qualify them for the olympics. That’s not what a gun like that is about at all and shotguns are a terrible comparison here.

Is that $10K rifle $9k better than the $1K rifle? You can bet your grannies saggy tits it is.

Seems legit.

Just curious. Both guns have the same MOA accuracy. If a Savage will hit steel and kill a deer, and a GAP will hit steel and kill a deer, in reality, which is better?

Reactions: prossound
You act as if putting a shotgun that costs as much as some houses into someone’s hands should automatically qualify them for the olympics. That’s not what a gun like that is about at all and shotguns are a terrible comparison here.

Is that $10K rifle $9k better than the $1K rifle? You can bet your grannies saggy tits it is.

How? Does a smoother action and a fancy chassis qualify it to be $9k better? Id bet your grannies saggy tits, that if you screwed on a piece of shit barrel into that fancy action its going to shoot like a $50 rifle.

It's a never ending battle of "one size does not fit all" between Savage Shooters and the others. I got interested in precision shooting after hanging with my nephew who picked it up in the Marines. He's got some seriously nice guns and optics as does my brother (Dr. married to a Dr. and a lot of expendable income) who basically *has* to have the best of the best when it comes to optics, firearms, and electronics.

I have small money and started with a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM after shooting Remingotn 700's, Les Baer's, Tikka's, and the like with NF, Vortex, S&B optics belonging to my gun buddies and relatives. And at the end of the first year I can hit as well and sometimes better than they can at 600+ yards shooting side by side. I have experienced none of the alleged failures to feed and extract that some other people have been plagued with using Savages. I certainly do like my brothers custom rifle with Top end Vortex glass better than my Savage with bottom end Vortex Crossfire II glass (replaced with an Athlon Argos BTR) *but* I do not shoot his $10K setup any better than I shoot my $2K rig *and* my brother actually shoots as good/better with my rig than he does with his. He is not happy about that but he has a compulsive need to have high end stuff and is OK with that.

The weak link is the shooter - not the gun unless the gun is broken in which case it can be fixed usually.

There's nothing wrong with Savages unless you get one that won't feed/extract and in that case it can be fixed/upgraded. I'm pretty sure that when I shoot the barrel out of my Savage 10 I'll upgrade with a better barrel and keep on running it. That makes me foolish to some folks and I'm OK with that becasue when we all get to the range and start smacking steel I'm right in there with the big kids.

VooDoo

Just curious. Both guns have the same MOA accuracy. If a Savage will hit steel and kill a deer, and a GAP will hit steel and kill a deer, in reality, which is better?
I think that is been established that some savages will shoot as accurately as high end rifles. If you are just ringing steel in your backyard or at the square range, then you should party on with the Savage and thank your lucky stars that you have one with no issues. Just don’t tell me that if I count on my rifle to work every time under fast fire or extreme conditions that they are equal. You and I both know that is bs. I know from experience, what’s your excuse?

This isn’t the forum only for rifles that sometimes hit things a long ways away.

The OP specifically asked why he doesn’t see much “love” for Savages here on Sniper’s Hide. You may not like the answer if it doesn’t satisfy you, but that does not and never will make a Savage the equal of a high end rifle, no matter how many times you kill a deer with one or ring steel at 1000 yards. Many if not most here expect more than that from our rifles.

These threads never fail to be pissing matches since some cannot take reality and roll with it.

It's a never ending battle of "one size does not fit all" between Savage Shooters and the others. I got interested in precision shooting after hanging with my nephew who picked it up in the Marines. He's got some seriously nice guns and optics as does my brother (Dr. married to a Dr. and a lot of expendable income) who basically *has* to have the best of the best when it comes to optics, firearms, and electronics.

I have small money and started with a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM after shooting Remingotn 700's, Les Baer's, Tikka's, and the like with NF, Vortex, S&B optics belonging to my gun buddies and relatives. And at the end of the first year I can hit as well and sometimes better than they can at 600+ yards shooting side by side. I have experienced none of the alleged failures to feed and extract that some other people have been plagued with using Savages. I certainly do like my brothers custom rifle with Top end Vortex glass better than my Savage with bottom end Vortex Crossfire II glass (replaced with an Athlon Argos BTR) *but* I do not shoot his $10K setup any better than I shoot my $2K rig *and* my brother actually shoots as good/better with my rig than he does with his. He is not happy about that but he has a compulsive need to have high end stuff and is OK with that.

The weak link is the shooter - not the gun unless the gun is broken in which case it can be fixed usually.

There's nothing wrong with Savages unless you get one that won't feed/extract and in that case it can be fixed/upgraded. I'm pretty sure that when I shoot the barrel out of my Savage 10 I'll upgrade with a better barrel and keep on running it. That makes me foolish to some folks and I'm OK with that becasue when we all get to the range and start smacking steel I'm right in there with the big kids.

VooDoo
I can ring steel every time at 600 yards with my $500 AR, so it’s as good as a $10,000 set up, right?

Reactions: LastShot300
When Savage announced their line of rifles built on their Target action, I had to applaud them for having the courage to come out with rifles that really could be used successfully in competition - I haven't seen anything comparable out of Remington or Winchester to this very day. However, after buying one of the Target actions & building a 6 Dasher on it, I decided that there are certain liabilities associated with the Savage line that I don't really want to deal with, and I haven't been tempted to do another build on one since. Whatever - I'm still appreciative of Savage's management for their attempt to appeal to shooters looking for more than the usual "bargain-priced hunting rifle" that we see on the racks at Wally World. If nothing else, they made a lot of shooters aware of what's possible with a purpose-built rifle.

Reactions: lash
I think that is been established that some savages will shoot as accurately as high end rifles. If you are just ringing steel in your backyard or at the square range, then you should party on with the Savage and thank your lucky stars that you have one with no issues. Just don’t tell me that if I count on my rifle to work every time under fast fire or extreme conditions that they are equal. You and I both know that is bs. I know from experience, what’s your excuse?

This isn’t the forum only for rifles that sometimes hit things a long ways away.

The OP specifically asked why he doesn’t see much “love” for Savages here on Sniper’s Hide. You may not like the answer if it doesn’t satisfy you, but that does not and never will make a Savage the equal of a high end rifle, no matter how many times you kill a deer with one or ring steel at 1000 yards. Many if not most here expect more than that from our rifles.

These threads never fail to be pissing matches since some cannot take reality and roll with it.

My single shot and model 10 repeater have been rock solid. My only experience is shooting thousands of rounds every summer, and been behind a Savage since 1998. So not much..

Also, the ONLY thing ive had to replace is a firing pin spring, and a plunger spring. But that is expected after firing off thousands of rounds.

So yeah, that is my "excuse". What is your "extreme conditions" where a Savage would fail to feed/extract? Many failures to feed/extract is reloading issues and fucking with the feed lips of magazines. Dont sit there and tell me custom rigs dont have feeding/extraction issues under "extreme conditions".

Savage rifles are fine I have yet to see anyone here state that you couldn't hit them at 1500 yds with a Savage.

I can ring steel every time at 600 yards with my $500 AR, so it’s as good as a $10,000 set up, right?

I guess if you think it is and yer happy with that then...sure, why not?

I'm not into the argument thing. Savages are not top end and they have their limitations...I'll never exploit their limitations because I do not compete. It's senseless for me to shell another $8K out for a super blue printed action and all that...I have shot those guns and while I'd *love* to have that kind of scratch I never will. My brother does as do many of his gun buddies and we all share guns and have a great time at the range.

But, to a man, the guys with the Big Rigs shoot my Savage as well as they shoot the Big Boy Toys and i really don't shoot any better with their Big Boy Toys than I shoot with my Savage. I'm not trying to tell anyone that a Savage is "just as good" as a custom high end rifle with blue printed action and top end barrel. If one feels the need and can realize that level of precision and afford it one should have that and relish it.

I'm fine with my Savage. If that makes me ignorant or stupid I'll wear the shirt I guess. That's all I have to say on the subject and having had my say now, I'll bugger off.

VooDoo

It depends. Is it stock? Are you shooting varmint bullets or target bullets? And what scenario. At 600 yards (your example), if the purpose is to put lead on a target with precision, whether it be on steel, paper, 4 legs or 2, you bet your ass it is. An AR with some 70+ grainers hitting MOA or better at 600 yards? Yeah, Id go into battle with that. Would also have no issue killing a deer at that range. AR's are reliable, no recoil (223) and are surprisingly accurate with a good barrel.

A price tag would not be my deciding factor. If both guns are reliable, accurate, and can put lead on the target with enough energy to put it down, which is better? Many guys just want to keep telling themselves that their $5k+ rig was worth it. And they'll repeat themselves until theyre blue in the face on forums.

Many are still paying for that credit card purchase. Theyre just trying to sleep better at night. I get it.

Reactions: Magnumitis
"Rosie" in the background, weighing in at $1792 as she sits, for my first LR rig I'm happy. I have two sons who can learn on the Savage as I am. My brother's HMR in the foreground, it was that or CTR. He asked me if he was throwing away $300-400 by not buying a Savage over the other two. NO. That being said, I'm eyeing the pre-sale of the APR Gen2 for my first build, something in .284.
6390.jpeg

Reactions: Bender
Just don’t try to tell me that Rosie O’Donnell is just as good as Jessica Biel because that’s all you could get to follow you back to the trailer park.

?

I bought my kids an Axis early last year to learn on... they're 7 and 9, I don't know how into they'd get (the answer is "fairly" apparently) and the price was right. Took it out a couple times, it shot OK, but was pretty damn rough. Heavy bolt lift, not smooth cycling, etc. Started looking around online... I sold it for what I had into it to a coworker, who sold it to a neighbor.

I picked the kids up a T/C Venture for like $40 more. It's light years ahead of the Savage in smoothness and quality. Moral of the story for me? Savages are cheap and "OK", but you can get something a lot nicer for not much more comparing out of the box prices, and if you intend to make the Savage "nice" you'll be way ahead to start with something nicer. I was tempted by their dirt-cheap prices to build myself a rig, but thankfully started reading here before I bought something, found out about Tikka, and laid in wait for a pretty bitchin' deal. Yeah, I paid maybe $150 more, and got a rifle with a light barrel I'll need to replace sooner, but I also got a rifle without a bunch of issues and work needed to make it cycle smoothly and reliably.

Reactions: Eadle and Bender
Rosie shoots well though, today in varible speed wind factory 140 eldm at 525. Upper center mass, 10 round string, smaller surrounding impacts are 75gr PPU out of my sons AR, by him.
6409.jpeg

Reactions: Gibble888
Not to worry. I’m not sure what we would do if we didn’t have a spirited debate on a regular basis. Maybe we’d go out and shoot...and we can’t have that, can we? ??

Just think of the money saved in ammo over this debate if we would of went to the range, thanks.

I’m busy making last minute presents for family, so this was a welcome distraction. And yes, in addition to purchases, we still make personal gifts for family and close friends.

Reactions: 10ring1