• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why no Weatherby rifle here?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I saw a new weatherby Vanguard in a pawn shop today. It was a .270 and priced at $489.00.
It started me thinking. What are no Weatherby rifles built into precision rifles? I don't think I have ever read an article where anyone was using them.
are they a strictly hunting rifle, or are there just no accessories made for them like stocks?
Just curious.

Jim

Re: Why no Weatherby rifle here?

No accessories except for a few things made by Pete Lincon here on the hide. I have a vangard in 7mm Mag that shoots quite well but there's just not much for it. The action is very smooth and I like the way the recoil lug it part of the action and not another piece but there nothing other than a new barrel and true job and maybe a stock depending on what your looking for for them. As far as hunting rifle go, they are a good choice, but I would still by a remmy 700 or savage first.

Remember the Weatherby Vanguard is really a relabeled Howa 1500. Some folks build tactical rigs out of Howa 1500s.

As for the Weatherby Mark 5 action, I believe it is a victim of a lack of accessories. I always thought it would make a good donor action; low bolt-lift, and integrated recoil lug, but then again the goofy 9-lug bolt probably doesn't lend itself well to gunsmithing.

I'm sure more qualified folks will elaborate.

I have a Vanguard, and it shoots exceptionally well for a sporter, but it's not a real precision rifle. Don't get me wrong, after a new stock, some bedding, and working up some handloads, it averages ~.5" or better for three shots, but beyond three it tends to heat up and accuracy falls off.

I figure when I shoot out the barrel, I will have a new barrel put on, and restock in a Manners stock.

But for now, I am sure it will do if I get a chance at an Elk.

I have a .270 wby mag for sale right now if your in the market. Its a great shooter but trying to cut down on number of rifles i have to reload for. PM me if interested.

Weatherby makes several Threat Response Rifles from .223 up to a .338-.378 Wby Mag.
If I can, I'll post a pic up on here tomorrow.

I have a Mk 5 action 22-250 varmit that is a great LR rifle.
It shoots 1/2 MOA with my handloads.

My personal opinon is that with a factory or semi custom Weatherby is that they have so much freebore that you cannot usually shoot a match grade bullet and still use the magazine. Now I realize that all that speed pushes that bullet very fast/flat. But with the high B.C. of the match bullets just save the poowder(Which is hard to get now any way) and shoot something else. That being said... I owned a HS PRECISION 257 Weatherby that was a great shooter. And it killed quite a few big Saskatchewan Whitetails. If you were going to go full custom and had eztra money for ammo. You could have a smith build a rifle and do away with all that freebore and you would have a winner for sure.

I got a buddy that built his precision rifle off of a Mark V action. The action is smooth and the rifle is accurate (keeping sub MOA out to beyond a grand). However it does suffer from lack of accessories but it is not impossible to get stocks inleted for these actions. McMillian inlets a model or two for them and Manner will inlet for anything you want. Picatinny rails are difficult to find but again not impossible. So can it be do, sure, it just takes a little more work.

Weatherby Threat Response Rifles Mark V's one in .30-.378 and one in .308
b3myyh.jpg

faohzk.jpg

EGW will make Tactical scope bases as long you provide all correct info. They will do steel or aluminum. I have Leupold 2 piece Weaver type bases shown here on the .30-.378. These stocks are comfortable and with the right trigger tune they've been very accurate rifles. I've killed Barbary sheep with the .30-.378 --- it's impressive and a fast mover for sure, just expensive to feed.

I have a mark V 300 wby with a 24" shilen select match and a lone wolf stock and it will shoot 1/2" at 100 yards. There is no freebore in my barrel.

I know the lone wolf sucks but it was my only choice besides the McMillian. I did not want a Mark V style stock.

Rifle's Inc built mine. I don't think to many smiths like to mess with them.

Wallmart has Weatherby Vanguard 308's starting at $425. I've heard, but don't know for sure, that Remington 700 scope rails fit the Weatherby Vanguard. True?

If were talking real Weatherby's the MK V's not Howa relabels, then the reason is usally cost. No one in there right mind would search out a MKV action to build on when you can get a custom action for the same price or cheaper.

I guess the above makes me look stupid!
DSC_0345-1.jpg

Everything is harder to get and usally more exensive. Mopar vs Chevy!
Ken Ferral Makes 20moa and 0 moa bases, as dose Near manafacturing (exensive).

I will say, the Howa or (Weatherby Vanguards shoot)! I have a 223 that is stupid accurate.

Weatherby.

You need to differenciate between the models.

The Mk V is a different animal from the Vanguard.

and to be honest, the Vanguard is, as far as semi customising and after market kit goes, the far better of the 2.

The Vanguard is mad in Japan by Howa. it is essencialy the same basic action as the Howa 1500. with slight differences. the trigger is different, the shroud over the arse end of the firing pin is different and the bolt is cosmeticaly different.

After tuning a whole shed load of triggers form the variouse marks of these rifles and building semi custom rifles on them, ive convinced my self that the better versions are badged with the Howa logo. the tolerances seem tighter, the trigger is better quality( all though its near as damn the same thing)

Whats the price diference between a Howa and an Vanguard, mabye 30 bucks ?
Get the Howa.

There may not be as many after market parts for the Howa as there are for the Remington 700.
But that IMHO is because they aren't needed. the trigger is excellent once tuned, reliable and safe at around 1lb pull weight and adjustable from 1 to 4lbs easily.
The factory extractor and ejector works reliably.
Stocks are available from several manufacturers, Manners, McMillan, B&C all have stocks, we have our RCS, essencialy giving you and AICS equipped Howa.
There are a couple of mag systems using the AICS mags available..CDI has one and we have one, ours from what i cna tell takes less fitting.

scope bases. the remington 2 piece will fit, the 1 piece rails will not, the profile on the top of the action is the same as the Remington but the distance between the holes and the action length is diferent.
Rails are available from several sources, Farrel have pic rails, so do we.
What more do you need ?

A weatherby Vanguard or Howa 1500 makes a great rifle, wether customised or not. Put a standard factory version in a decent stock, tune the trigger, check the crown and I bet you have an honest 1/2 MOA rifle near as damn every time.

I dont like the lug arrangement on the Mk V. it is possible to customise there rifles, but parts are few. The ones in weatherby calibers do have long throats, but this is a feature of the weatherby cartridges rather than a particular rifle.

Regards Pete

Pete

A shootingbuddy got a very good deal on a new Mk5 Accumark i 308. I've seen him shoot and hunt a lot with it. I've tested it myself and I think it's a great rifle. Actually, what more do you need? It shoots .5moa or less and has excellent dynamics as an all round rifle. The Mk5 has a very good safety, relatively fast locktime and a fast action to reload. My own preferred rifle is a Sako 75 VLSS in 308. The configuration on my Sako is similar to the Mk5 Accumark. My next allround rifle will probably be an Accumark.

TorF. if you put a Howa 1500 into the same B&C stock you have the same ergonomics and accuracy for a hell of a lot less money.

Ive fiddled with a few accumarks, not many but a few, whilst i like the design and feel of the rifle, they proved to be finnicky accuracy wise,
each to his own, and like stated above, the Mk V is an expensive choice for a semi custom build (same could be said of the Sako actions) unless you can find one used and cheap..
regards Pete

Pete,

I shoot some rapid fire matches, running deer double shots.(I shot a match at Bisley two weeks ago) In this event, were you shoot 2 shots at a moving deer target in less than 4,6 seconds offhand, you need a smooth action. The Hova is not smooth enough for this event. Othervise the Hova is an excellent action.

Btw, I have a very rare Tikka Target M65A incoming. I think it's the predecessor of the TRG-series or at least it have some influence on the TRG design. Tikka Target is the "shooting crutch" with tubular rear stock and a massive action.

<span style="font-style: italic">The Hova is not smooth enough for this event. Othervise the Hova is an excellent action</span>.

That depends who's worked it over, and how much practice one has had with the rifle.
Granted the actions with no raceways and the logs the same diameter as the bolt will always be smoother/slicker. ( thats one of the reason why our new Avenger is like that)
The Tikkas always have a very smooth bolt travel, it has to do with the tollerances and surface finishing, nice actions.

Pete