• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

why not? pull through cleaning 'rods'

hypno02

Not Politically Correct
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2006
South Dakota
I've always used a rod to clean my rifles. As I'm sure most of you have. What I want to know is why more of us don't use the pull through cleaning 'wires.' I'm not talking bore snake, I'm thinking of something more along the lines of this. For use with patches.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000C52A5/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

What are the pros and cons of these? It seems as if they'd eliminate the need for a bore guide

Re: why not? pull through cleaning 'rods'

Your suppose to clean these dam things????????
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your suppose to clean these dam things????????
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Popular vote says no...

Pull trough's were used during ww2 and before. From what I've read they did more damage over time than leaving the rifle dirty. Usually worn muzzles due to incorrect use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What are the pros and cons of these? It seems as if they'd eliminate the need for a bore guide </div></div>

The cons are the same as with prolonded use of a bore snake. You are dragging a cable with grit over the edge of your crown. The crown is critical to accuracy. No matter how careful you are in pulling straight out, you are going to hit the crown.

How many pulls does it take to damage it? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know. I prefer not to experience it firsthand.

I do use a bore snake at the end of a range day. One pull and that's it. Common sense tells me that the likelihood of that doing damage before the barrel is worn out is almost zero.

I do carry an Otis kit in my ruck, just in case. But the real cleaning gets done with a Dewey Rod and a bore guide.

Well said ^^^^ I also have the Otis kit, I only use it when I have to, like on hunting trips or anytime my rilfe needs cleaned and I'm away from home. I much prefer my bore guide and cleaning rod at home. IMO it does a way better job and its less time consuming.

I think the "damage" done, if any, would be so miniscule that it'd have no impact upon the rifling whatsoever.

I think the "damage" done, if any, would be so miniscule that it'd have no impact upon the rifling whatsoever.

How many surfaces of the barrel can one be touching at any one time? Just one!

I really, really think this argument is a solution looking for a problem.

Give me empirical evidence.

I appreciate Otis kits for what they are, a lot of capability in a tiny package. When I'm out shooting I never have a "gee I wish I had my cleaning rod" situation because I always have the kit with me. I find its easier to use as well.

It might be possible to damage the crown, but as long as I'm using the $20 piece of conduit that Remington calls a factory barrel I'm not too worried about it. My first custom barrel purchase will no doubt be accompanied by a proper cleaning kit.

Otis is a great field cleaning kit, but when it comes time to put everything back in the safe can't beat using a regular cleaning rod and bore guide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPRoberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might be possible to damage the crown, but as long as I'm using the $20 piece of conduit that Remington calls a factory barrel I'm not too worried about it. My first custom barrel purchase will no doubt be accompanied by a proper cleaning kit. </div></div>

I am inclined to agree with you based on the amount of shooting vs. cleaning that I do. However I frequently have to remember that there are guys out there that will shoot ten rounds, then put twenty patches through their barrel in search of that one lily white "clean" patch.

An Otis cable in a field kit is a good fallback.

Make sure you wipe the entire cable/attachments clean, just as you do with a solid rod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always used a rod to clean my rifles. As I'm sure most of you have. What I want to know is why more of us don't use the pull through cleaning 'wires.' I'm not talking bore snake, I'm thinking of something more along the lines of this. For use with patches.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000C52A5/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

What are the pros and cons of these? It seems as if they'd eliminate the need for a bore guide </div></div>

Never heard of this before or really put much thought into it. Guess I should put my Otis on the backburner for a bit and get a rod and bore guide.

The easiest solution for a pull through cleaner is just to take a roll of weed wacker plastic cable, cut it to length, melt one end into a flat, cut the other to a point. The just poke the pointed end through the patch, slide the pointed end down your barrel, and pull the patch through. Since you're running new patches each time, there shouldn't be any damage to the barrel.

It's a really inexpensive way to clean a rifle barrel. I learned it from an airgun guy...that was how he cleaned all of his air rifles. Since the end you're melting into a flat can be made larger or smaller by just melting it more or less, it works great for any caliber.

--Wintermute

The OTIS is an excellent kit. If you ever served in the field, you know what I mean.

As for damaging the crown ..... maybe with the old WWI/II pull through chains. But, the OTIS' cable is covered in plastic. The only time I see it doing any damage at all would be when/if the plastic gets worn off the cable. Then you just replace your cable and move on. I don't see how it would be possible to do any damage what so ever by having plastic rub against the crown.

An OTIS or even a simple bore snake is just as safe as any other method of cleaning.

To those people that can damage a barrel or crown with a pull through system or a boresnake can prolly destroy a Sherman tank with a rubber mallet.

I have used the pro shot system and boresnakes without any issues.

has anyone really had their crown damaged by a pull through cleaner or bore snake?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PMain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anyone really had their crown damaged by a pull through cleaner or bore snake? </div></div>

i really dont see how its possible.

my volquartsen specifically said 'use only pull through cleaning methods, or the warranty is void'

If you happen to get some kind of bore obstruction (mud, etc.), is it possible to push it out with the Otis kit? It doesn't seem like it, but I've never used one.