• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why pay the big money when.......

Re: Why pay the big money when.......

Dont need to see the dead center of a circle, use your reticle to split it like a pie. I shoot bullseye at 1000 with a 10x scope and regularly shoot sage rats (think of a skinny can of soda) out to 500yards and rarely take magnification over 12x due to mirage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbochad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I am new to the board and this is my first post. I am just wondering why people spend such big money on scopes. I am not a professional by any means, but consider myself a decent shooter. The primary rifles I shoot with are my trusty 1022 and my brand new Remington 700 SPS Tactical. I understand that with higher end scopes you are going to get clearer optics and better durability most of the time but I just can't see spending $1000 plus on a scope. Here is why....my 1022 Ruger has a $70 BSA Sweet 22 on it. At anywhere from 50-100 yds I can just about put the groups in the same hole on a non windy day off my Harris bi-pod. Out to 200yds I can still make nice groups with it. My new 700 has a 32 power BSA side wheel scope that cost me $150. If I do my job, it is very accurate. At 200 yards the other day off a very cheap and unsturdy plastic rest I shot a 1.25" group in the wind. That was the first day I ever fired the rifle. I use very cheap Walmart Federal ammo in the 700 and CCI in the 22. I am just wondering why people pay so much for scopes when you can do the same job with much less money invested? </div></div>

There is nothing wrong with inexpensive shooting. You don't need $3k glass or name-brand rifle to have a great afternoon. Some people spend so much time trying to buy the best/latest gizmo, they forget what this sport is about.

You should only spend what works for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbochad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand that too. I should have clarified that we shoot strictly for fun and to get ready to hunt. I plan on shooting out to 300 Wednesday. That is the farthest range we have here. I would like to shoot out to 500 eventually with the 700. </div></div>

500yds is practically a chip shot. not exceedingly difficult unless you have bad swirling winds. Good equipment and tons of practice helps

I guess that's why my 1022 is so much fun. It is accurate and cheap to shoot. I love my 700 SPS though. I can't get enough of the bolt action. I do want to buy a good scope while I have the money which is why I started this thread

I think alot of folks here have gone through a similar progression of scopes and "needs" that you are starting into now. When I started shooting many years back I went down to the local hardware store and bought a cheap simmons scope. I thought it was the greatest thing ever, I could shoot irons decent and had been able to make kills on groundhogs out to probably 125-150 or so yards with just iron sights and and a marlin .22. Now I could see much clearer and could shoot out to much farther distances...However, that little scope would soon fail me. The darn thing would not track right to save its life. Even, small incremental adjustments would throw off the alignment and I couldn't get it back to zero in the field, it also had a tendency to jump all over the place...I swear the guts of that scope must have been held in place with bubble gum. I spent several frustrating days at the range trying to get it back to zero before I decidedly swore off scopes for a while and went back to irons...However, once I got a little more educated on matters I went back and moved up to several other scopes. The cheapest scope I own now is a millett trs-1, its just acting as a place holder until I can get something a little better. They have seen mixed reviews, I think I got lucky. While it may not compare to my nightforce or leupy mk4 as far as glass is concerned, it does track well. The lighted reticle is a gimmick I have yet to find it very useful. My advice to you would be to save for a good 30mm tubed scope. It may be a little more than you want to spend or a little more than you can justify to your wife or girlfriend , but it will last forever. The bushnell 4200 tactical offers a less expensive solution than a leupy or nxs. It has great optical clarity for a midrange price scope. The only drawback is a little bit less elevation adjustment, but hey its not $1000 either. http://www.swfa.com/pc-9847-185-bushnell-6-24x50-elite-4200-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

Hit me up when you are ready to buy, I can save you some money.

I like the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 for just over $200 it's a good scope. You can also get Muellers, Sightrons, Wonder Optics and a few others in that price range.

The better scope will really begin to shine in low light conditions, the BSA's and Barska's of the world leave a lot to be desired in low light. At any distance you'll get a better picture with better glass and has been stated many times the ability to hold zero is much better with a tougher scope.

I understand where you are coming from, a few years ago I wondered the same thing, after gaining a little experience and having the opportunity to handle some really great scopes I'm a believer.

Thanks again for the input, I am considering my options.

Pitcher is empty. perhaps you should consider that most sniping done by USA forces in WW II and on was done with scopes not exceeding 9X, most in WW II with 2.5X so......
A 6" target at 600 yards is no problem with a QUALITY 6X scope and probably impossible with chink junk.

I'm new here to the hide. Also new to reloading and getting started in long range shooting. I've sunk a lot of dough in my guns and scopes. Just ordered me a S&B with badger rail and rings, ouch! I'm sure I will be happy with once I get it.

DSC01067.jpg

Never spend more than you can afford -- on anything really. Where it hurts is when you CAN afford more, but cheap out on a "bargain" and then end up buying twice and spending more than if you had just bought the good stuff from the get-go.

So I got rid of the BSA. Here is what I have locally available to me in my price range.... The Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5x15x40 or Nikon Buckmaster with BDC. I understand there is not a lot of elevation adjustment in either of these so which one would you pick and what kind of base do I need to make either work good out to 500yds? If you have any other suggestions please chime in. I have Nikon, Bushnell, Burris, Barska and a few other readily available locally. I can not get SS, Mueller, Falcon, or Millett in the time frame I need one. One dealer is suggesting the Osprey units. Says people he shoots with loves them. Any idea if they are worth a shit? I know if I could spend just a couple hundred more I could get into a Monarch or Elite 4200 but I just can't right now. Thanks again

Can you buy different turrets for it? If so which ones? Something taller and easier to grip.

T/C, no, the Nikon Buckmaster turrets are what you get. But, they work, and for the price, this scope is a heckuva deal. (Yeah, I have one, along with five other Nikon scopes...)

If you want tall turrets, and don't mind a fixed power, the SS16x42 (as exclusively sold new by SWFA these days) has heavy duty/tall turrets. And about 100+ MOA of internal elevation. (I've had a few of these too...)

Good luck, whatever you pick.

Or, try to find a Sightron SII4-16x42MD. Shorter turrets like the Nikon Buckmaster, but a very good scope for the money. Gently used, you could probably get one under $300.

Thanks for the info again. I might go with a Monarch just to get a bit better quality and the turrets I want. I guess I will see tomorrow.

T/C, another good option, but $500-600, is the Burris XTR. I have one in the lovely green color.
smile.gif

It's 3-12x50, with mildot reticle, heavy duty turrets, side parallax, and about 95 MOA of elevation adjustment.

Might try Natchez Shooter Supply or Graf & Sons or MidSouth Shooters to see if they have a deal on these.

What are you doing up at this late hour?
wink.gif
It's only 10:32p on the left coast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pitcher is empty. perhaps you should consider that most sniping done by USA forces in WW II and on was done with scopes not exceeding 9X, most in WW II with 2.5X so......
A 6" target at 600 yards is no problem with a QUALITY 6X scope and probably impossible with chink junk. </div></div>

Just a lurker moved to finally make a post.

Wow...I really don't have anything to add to this discussion except that it surprises me that to this day people still use ethnic slurs to describe stuff. Just wanted to thank Mr. Humble for his excellent choice in vocabulary in describing products made in China. I'm sure he's happy with all his Gweilo made Leupolds or Honky made Nightforce. Damn those boxheads at Zeiss sure know how to make a scope. So tell me Mr. Humble, what race do you have to be to make a good scope? I mean let's face it, some hilljack from Wyoming couldn't muster 14 brain cells from his immediate family let alone that many teeth. To them, a couple toilet paper rolls duct taped together would be a great start. It's well within your right to have thoughts of bigotry but making them public just goes to show what kind of cracker you really are. Just keep it in your trailer. Your comments make you look dumb enough. No need to add racial slurs. Just overkill in my opinion.

Mods feel free to delete and I apologize to Turbochad for hijacking his thread. But hey - if Mr. Humble is free to express his views, then I guess I can too. I don't plan on responding so feel free to flame away. Just wanted to say hi! Thanks. - kill whitey.

Raleigh, your first post is a doozy, which is slang for WOW!
smile.gif

I would suggest that such words as MH used don't have any power to offend unless you give it to them.

It's like the difference between buying a Daewoo or buying a BMW. They both get you where you want to go, it's just that one is built better and is just so much nicer. I have had tasco,super sniper, Mk4 and I'm now onto Nightforce. They all have worked flawlessly but the difference in clarity and build quality is unmistakable. Just remember you get what you pay for and for me the biggest lesson I have learnt is buy the best first and cry once, most guys on here will tell you the same thing.

BTW I give a +1 for the super sniper if your after a cheap scope as they work great and for the money I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Point taken Nate. I'll be honest...just sorted started typing in somewhat of a clouded rage. I generally prefer living by your suggestion but I don't know what set me off tonight. Maybe Fat Tuesday just has that effect on me.

I have a 10x USO and I can hit 12" steel at 1000 yrds not only hit it but see it. I have never been a big fan of high power scopes.

+1 for this buy the best first and cry once

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raleigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be honest...just sorted started typing in somewhat of a clouded rage........</div></div>

Wow, if reading "chink" on the internet gets you into a rage....it's a good thing you don't work where I do. I have been called everything but white. While I don't use ethnic slurrs (except nigga, and that's OK as long as you use the "a" not the "er"
laugh.gif
) they really don't bother me.

If a slur bothers you, then the person issuing the slur has just accomplished what they intended.

It would seem that everyone has tried a little dig on this thread. I agree with a few of you that the more affordable Nikons are really under-rated in terms of aiding the eye and good hard usage. I really like them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, if reading "chink" on the internet gets you into a rage....it's a good thing you don't work where I do. I have been called everything but white. While I don't use ethnic slurrs (except nigga, and that's OK as long as you use the "a" not the "er"
laugh.gif
) they really don't bother me.

If a slur bothers you, then the person issuing the slur has just accomplished what they intended. </div></div>

Spent some time working in the southern middle part of the state. That was kinda interesting. For a little while! Love what they've done with the 231 truck stop.

I've owned a bunch of crap glass, and some good to high end glass.

Recently I picked up a NF 5.5-22X50. What a great scope! The biggest thing I noticed was that it is much brighter than most all my other scopes. Dialed down to 5.5 it turned twilight into what looked like midday. Pretty amazing. The only scope that is close to being as bright is surprisingly my Bushnell Elite 4200. I like my USO glass. It tracks well, FFP matched reticle to knobs is awesome and it's really forgiving on parallax/focus.

Still I'm really impressed with the NF. I think I'll be buying a few more in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raleigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pitcher is empty. perhaps you should consider that most sniping done by USA forces in WW II and on was done with scopes not exceeding 9X, most in WW II with 2.5X so......
A 6" target at 600 yards is no problem with a QUALITY 6X scope and probably impossible with chink junk. </div></div>

Wow...I really don't have anything to add to this discussion except that it surprises me that to this day people still use ethnic slurs to describe stuff. Just wanted to thank Mr. Humble for his excellent choice in vocabulary in describing products made in China. I'm sure he's happy with all his Gweilo made Leupolds or Honky made Nightforce. Damn those boxheads at Zeiss sure know how to make a scope. So tell me Mr. Humble, what race do you have to be to make a good scope? I mean let's face it, some hilljack from Wyoming couldn't muster 14 brain cells from his immediate family let alone that many teeth. To them, a couple toilet paper rolls duct taped together would be a great start. It's well within your right to have thoughts of bigotry but making them public just goes to show what kind of cracker you really are. Just keep it in your trailer. Your comments make you look dumb enough. No need to add racial slurs. Just overkill in my opinion.

Mods feel free to delete and I apologize to Turbochad for hijacking his thread. But hey - if Mr. Humble is free to express his views, then I guess I can too. I don't plan on responding so feel free to flame away. Just wanted to say hi! Thanks. - kill whitey. </div></div>

Douchebag. Find another forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nitehawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spent some time working in the southern middle part of the state. That was kinda interesting. For a little while! Love what they've done with the 231 truck stop. </div></div>

LOL!! Its gone now.... The county shut it down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nitehawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spent some time working in the southern middle part of the state. That was kinda interesting. For a little while! Love what they've done with the 231 truck stop. </div></div>

LOL!! Its gone now.... The county shut it down. </div></div>

Thats to bad

Just my take on buying quality.

I used to buy bargains and was dissatisfied with how they performed, the upgraded and was happier, the found there was a better or best out there.

With all the money that I spent on upgrading, I could have gotten the best right off.

Since that change in philosophy, everything I buy, I'm happy with, when you own quality stuff, and you can't do well, it's not the equipment. it's you.

Personally, I like the kraut glass, but the hillbillies in VA are making some interesting stuff. Don't forget about those damned gypsies and their ugly scopes with great glass---and all those gooks, slopes, and chinks and their glass. Although I think the only decent zipperhead glass comes from the nips!

Raleigh- Thicken-up that yellow skin brother!!

Please note, I am in no way defending Mr. Humble as his narrow-minded comments and inappropriate posts and not the color of his skin have shaped my opinion of him.

Come on guys we must respect the revrend from da inauguration'd..."If ya brown you get down ..if ya red ya get ahead..if ya yellow be mellow..and if ya white you finaly do whats right!!" Uh ...get over it waaahh!

I'm truly envious of anyone that is fully satisfied with cheap optics, cheap fly rods, or cheap beer.

I gotta say though---there is something undeniably appealing about cheap women!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nitehawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spent some time working in the southern middle part of the state. That was kinda interesting. For a little while! Love what they've done with the 231 truck stop. </div></div>

Hey 7mm, is the restaurant with the awesome fried chicken still open in town??

I bought a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 and to me it is great. It is clear enough that on 4.5 I can see very well at 200yds. I have put it through some tests the last couple of days on my SPS Tactical and it has never failed to be dead on. I am very easy on my stuff so I am sure it will work great for me. I can see a huge difference between it and the BSA....obviously. I am going to eventually put this on my 1022 and get a longer range Monarch for the 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raleigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pitcher is empty. perhaps you should consider that most sniping done by USA forces in WW II and on was done with scopes not exceeding 9X, most in WW II with 2.5X so......

Mods feel free to delete and I apologize to Turbochad for hijacking his thread. But hey - if Mr. Humble is free to express his views, then I guess I can too. I don't plan on responding so feel free to flame away. Just wanted to say hi! Thanks. - kill whitey. </div></div>

Well, I'm just a new member moved to make a post...

Dude, you're an idiot. You asked, "what race do you have to be to make a good scope?" Guess what, probably just about any race but Chinese. You don't realize the kind of manufacturing crap that comes out of China? They will never make anything like Germans or Americans. Or Japanese, for that matter. Their mantra is to succeed in making cheap copies of other people's work. That is the way it is. And I know a lot of Chinese-Americans. My wife is Asian, but not of "Chine-Asian Descent", however. And it doesn't bother me or them one bit if someone calls our communist enemies chinks. So go stuff a fat one, retardo! Look at all the insulting crap you spewed in you sarcastic, thoughtless rant. Kill Whitey? Kill Yourself, FuckLick!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nitehawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nitehawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spent some time working in the southern middle part of the state. That was kinda interesting. For a little while! Love what they've done with the 231 truck stop. </div></div>

Hey 7mm, is the restaurant with the awesome fried chicken still open in town?? </div></div>

The Chicken Place in Ireland? Ya, its still open....Ill be picking up a 1/2 Dark with German Fries on my way home tonight!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gotta say though---there is something undeniably appealing about cheap women!! </div></div>

Yes cheap women +1
grin.gif

As far as scopes go my opinion, and it's just that an opinion, is if it is not repeatable and can't pass a box test its completly useless. At that point its just a magnifying glass not a rifle scope. From what I have owned Nightforce has been the "cheapest" (if you wanna call them that) scopes that "work" IMO. When I first started to get into shooting alot I had a leupold that once I started to get better began frustrating the shit out if me. I didn't know it was the scope at the time, all I knew was that the adjustments I made didn't add up to my math, I didn't have internet then so I couldn't go to a board such as this to ask. My uncle had an awsome custom rifle with S&B glass and I could shoot great with it. So we thought it must be my cheap rifle "savage" it couldn't possibly be the super cool Leupold that all the cool kids had. Anyway long story short my turrets didn't match my reticle, at short range it wasn't noticable but as I started makeing adjustments I eventually realized the problem. I went awile thinking it was shooter error or range estimate inaccuracy or bad wind calls etc. Anyway thats just my expirience and opinion. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StrikeHold</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raleigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pitcher is empty. perhaps you should consider that most sniping done by USA forces in WW II and on was done with scopes not exceeding 9X, most in WW II with 2.5X so......

Douchebag. Find another forum. </div></div>

Pretty much my thoughts... I had a nice laugh over the "kill whitey" part, haha. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm truly envious of anyone that is fully satisfied with cheap optics, cheap fly rods, or cheap beer. </div></div>

Now there's a quote worth quoting!!

I like good beer. somtimes it's cheap too but......

Cheap women are #1

The Nikon has been wonderful thus far. It has passed every test I will ever put it through. If I had the money to spend on a NF I would but for $300 I would say you would have to get into some serious money to outperform the Nikon. I was going to buy a Burris or Bushnell Elite and to be honest I think the Nikon glass was every bit as good if not better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALMAORFE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheap women are #1

</div></div>
From their point of view, you are #7,341 (and more are waiting).