• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Why so few Black rifles?

GIO

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2008
Omaha, NE USA
This may be an odd question but...

There are a ton of super nice rigs on this forum but why are they mostly Camo? I understand an in the field sniper would need to make his weapon blend in but there is also the urban/SWAT type sniper where this is not an issue.

So why the Bias towards Camo?

Re: Why so few Black rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FDE is the new black. </div></div>

Perhaps I'm old, but OD will always be my color, you guys can have your sandy colored rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GIO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be an odd question but...

There are a ton of super nice rigs on this forum but why are they mostly Camo? I understand an in the field sniper would need to make his weapon blend in but there is also the urban/SWAT type sniper where this is not an issue.

So why the Bias towards Camo? </div></div>

There's nothing black in nature it stands out everywhere even in an urban enviroment.

I have to say that the way we fetishize these guns is pretty silly.

BTW- sometimes I dress my DTA 338 in a garter belt and fishnets. I also put a bit of red lipstick on the crown. My wife thinks its a bit weird. That's her problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FDE is the new black. </div></div>

Perhaps I'm old, but OD will always be my color, you guys can have your sandy colored rifles. </div></div>

you copy me :flipoff2:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to say that the way we fetishize these guns is pretty silly.

BTW- sometimes I dress my DTA 338 in a garter belt and fishnets. I also put a bit of red lipstick on the crown. My wife thinks its a bit weird. That's her problem.

Don't forget the fake eyelashes on the front of the scope bell.....

</div></div>

On a different note...Black is hot in summertime shooting.

I had the Black Cheek piece painted on my AICS to a light tan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to say that the way we fetishize these guns is pretty silly.

Don't forget the fake eyelashes on the front of the scope bell.....

</div></div></div></div>

Sometimes when no one is looking...stilleto's under the bipods

Ok- you guys are just plain weird. Fake eyelashes and high heels? That's taking it too far.

We need someone on the hide with photoshop skills to mock this baby up!

Lemme help....

34zm0ya.jpg

np1c3d.jpg

I don't hunt, and I'm not all tactical and crap like some people, so black works for me. Black shows the lines of the rifle more clearly, and hey - I'm not averse to taking a glamour shot or two of my rifles.
smile.gif

Well almost every rifle is black or some sort.

Why own something like every one elses?

John

That is true, however for SWAT, there are many times you are standing next to bushes along side of the houses. When inside, color does not really matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black is the worst color out there, even in a urban setting at night. Black is for Hollywood. </div></div>

If it's dark enough for black to be the right choice for a sniper.....color no longer matters

All mine are black, but after having the cheek riser on my AICS get too hot for comfort at a class the next one..won't be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FDE is the new black. </div></div>

Perhaps I'm old, but OD will always be my color, you guys can have your sandy colored rifles. </div></div>

+1. Im not old yet. I hope. OD blends better around here. FDE doesn't appear to blend anywhere but a sandbox.

JMO
-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FDE is the new black. </div></div>

+1. Im not old yet. I hope. OD blends better around here. FDE doesn't appear to blend anywhere but a sandbox.

JMO
-dan</div></div>

Remember, it is much easier to darken than lighten. It's better to start with a light base and darken it up than visa versa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

np1c3d.jpg

</div></div>

What kind of forearm is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

+1...and woodland for my NW AO. It's hard to take the cold war out of old dogs like me.

I have two rifles that are black, my MK14 SEI Mod 1 and my 7.62 Norinco T56SHTF.

Suppressed-MK14-Mod1.jpg

Suppressed-Norinco-AKM.jpg