• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Why so few tripod stages ?

Here's my observation, opinion, experience, etc.

With MDs in general being lazy, and less creative these days, the other thing is "Evolution".

Unless you keep your head in the sand, or just set in your stubborn ways, you can't help but notice that not only the way people get creative in overcoming a difficult match stage with new techniques and equipment, but also the way the Hunting and Military world are adapting those same new techniques and equipment. 20-years ago, the use of tripods were very rare to non-existent. Now tripods are utilized by many across the board (Matches, Hunting, Military).

It's a two-fold problem, as MDs create more convoluted stages, shooters evolve into how they overcome those convoluted stages by introducing new equipment, or add a new shooting technique. This adds cost to the match by having to purchase more equipment, and then MDs try to limit that equipment, ban it, or create stupid and unrealistic rules that don't keep up with changing times, it's a viscous circle.

Here are some examples, MD says you have to sling or attach to your pack a collapsed tripod, in reality more and more hunter's in the West, are carrying their tripods extended with binoculars attached, primarily to glass their hunting area, and as a back up to use as a rifle support when shooting over terrain, vegetation, or at high angles. Having that mindset as a MD that every Hunter carries their tripod collapsed is not being realistic. The other thing that's unrealistic is the opinion or belief that everyone carries their bipods folded and collapsed. So what do I do? I go and purchase a specialized tripod that has longer legs, and instead of having twist or lever locks, you just extend it to where you want it, and it stays put. It's a specialized tripod that was developed for situations where quick set up is essential in fast moving photography. I wouldn't use it for hunting or true field use because it's very heavy, but to play the NRL Hunter game of having your tripod stowed/collapsed I was forced to use it to to make up the critical time lost of using my traditional light and compact CF tripod and trying to deploy it.

When I'm in the field, I carry my tripod extended, so I can quickly deploy it for either glassing/ranging or shooting support, and a back up as a hiking staff when in rugged terrain. I keep my bipod legs out, and rest those legs on my shoulder as a way to carry my rifle, as I prefer not to use a sling. It's also quick and handy to have the legs out so you can quickly ground your rifle while getting into position with your tripod.

These stages that are convoluted also cause more financial expense in equipment race game.

Example, MD started introducing more stages where you're not allowed to dial, or par time is 90-seconds for a 10-target stage so Christmas Tree reticle scopes became the rage, and added to the equipment race. One match I regularly attend that requires you to start the stage with your scope set to zero, one time I shot it with just hold overs the entire match (Tremor 2 reticle) just to prove a point, even though there's ample time to dial. I was shooting the stages soo fast the RO/spotter couldn't keep up with me, was kind of funny.

Another example, last few PRS/NRL matches I attended, I carried a huge support bag, something like a 24-30" cube. One match in particular I was squaded with a bunch of top PRS shooters from Oklahoma. At the beginning they were poo pooing my bag, and looking at me like I was crazy, but then half way through the match they're all wanting to use it. Thought it was funny. I'm done with PRS, but if I ever shoot one again, I have the desire to show up with a big 5-ft diameter beanbag chair, and dressed in a clown suit.

I do the same as you describe, both with tripod and bipod; was actually just saying this to a friend last night who asked about a bipod on a hunting rifle, that this is what I do but most hunters prefer a sling, for better or worse. Diff’rent strokes an’ all.

Just wanted to chime in when you described exactly my method that I see nobody else using haha

View attachment 8000615

Might want to try the OldBalls, Inc. new type of rifle carry. I've only used it at one match that didn't require a whole lot of "carrying" your rifle, the potential is certainly there.

Might want to try the OldBalls, Inc. new type of rifle carry. I've only used it at one match that didn't require a whole lot of "carrying" your rifle, the potential is certainly there.

Thanks for sharing this. I was thinking of creating some sort of hook system that would interface with shoulder strap on my pack.

If we’re really going to make PRS “realistic,” we’re gonna need to let everyone shoot from their razors, mules, rangers, etc. Any what’s up with targets being so far away? Ain’t hardly no one shooting that far away. Put them targets at like 80 yards. And hang a barrel of corn over them.

Put some tannerite in the corn barrel. Get multiple points with one shot

Two big issues I've seen with tripod specific PRS stages.

#1 They're always the stage that slows every squad down. It's usually because its on a larger match, and the MD provides tripods which they want YOU to use, even though you've practiced with your tripod, even if it's from the sample tripod company. They usually allow you to have a few minutes to setup and get comfortable with it. I think if it's a pro series match, tough luck, tripod setup is something you should be made to do on the clock.

#2 If you use your own higher end tripod, new shooters get real sour about another barrier of entry cost in this "sport" even though a $100 tripod will do you fine for something like rear support, shooting on top of one.....more money is more betterrer.