• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Why so few tripod stages ?

On the other hand, if you're shooting the match, it's real.

I love and constantly quote the line about "realistic" vs match (pistol) shooting, and what's real? .
There's people who practice for realistic shooting scenarios, that in all likelihood will never happen. And those that practice for unrealistic shooting scenarios that happen every weekend.

LOL such as what, exactly?
Do you get out much or just talk about pistol shooting and trash talk PRs shooting all day? Big world out there

9D6888D3-C22B-47F3-87DF-25C0A819B68F.jpeg

785DBB09-7E94-4866-AC85-9E7731D62971.jpeg
5D5DD93F-D3E5-4E3E-BC28-CB15485E47ED.jpeg

Why don’t matches have more tripod stages ? Seems that would be more realistic

Matches aren't realistic. They are matches. They are for fun. No reason to add in a stage for a piece of equipment not many use for actual match shooting more than rear support and some don't even take to a match. If they did throw in a stage with a tripod they should provide it for all shooters.

Matches aren't realistic. They are matches. They are for fun. No reason to add in a stage for a piece of equipment not many use for actual match shooting more than rear support and some don't even take to a match. If they did throw in a stage with a tripod they should provide it for all shooters.
Every match I’ve been to with a tripod stage has 1 or more loaners

Matches don't have tripod stages because of cost, IMHO. Good tripods are expensive. So the MD or sponsors usually setup the stage, or make loaners available as mentioned above.

Using cheap/lesser tripods, well you can just drape a GC over the top of it...but then you have a pretty generic stage by PRS standards....is not really worth the hassle IMHO.

Reactions: lash and BurtG
Every match I’ve been to with a tripod stage has 1 or more loaners
As they should if it is required. Problem is the tripod brings nothing to the match. Can run a match without requiring it for a stage just fine. I can’t remember the last match I went to that had a required tripod stage.

Reactions: lash and ma smith
I have a tripod stage in most of my matches. I agree that it is a real world skill that many in the competition realm overlook. It's crazy how the majority of shooters buy nice tripods and drag them around matches just to hold binos and use as rear support. But I always supply one of my own tripods so that anyone who doesn't have one (or only a crappy one) can use mine to shoot the stage.

I don't think the matches I attend have many tripod favorable stages.. because the directors and participants want to test people's marksmanship skills on unstable and hasty positions.

If they wanted to test who can shoot the best off of the most stable platform aside from prone bench.. then yes, there would be more tripod stages.

Most every match will let you use a tripod. You just can't be locked into it.
You have to have all gear in hand at the start and there's no prestaging.

Good luck with the small and large varmints 5-600 yards away when vegetation precludes prone or sitting
In Louisiana, the only varmints eligible for rifle hunting is coyotes. Most if not all are hunted from blinds if they are intentionally hunted at all. We just don’t have the shooting opportunities you describe. And, I don’t really own a rifle worth using as a varmint rifle. Lived here almost my entire life, excepting a year in school and a year in Vietnam and when I was very young.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
Plenty of tripod usage in NRL Hunter. We also have a fair number of tripod stages out west in field style PRS matches, simply because terrain dictates it.

Some aren't "tripod stages" per say, but just stages where a tripod makes the most sense. One a couple months ago was a nasty downslope position with a big 180 degree pan and 5 targets. Yes, you could do it with a tall bipod and awkard prone, but panning from the top of a tripod was way easier. Another was a shooting position with waist high sagebrush all around. Only way to see targets was full standing from a tripod. The MD provided a very nice one to use, often those stages are sponsored by a particular tripod vendor to give people a chance to try their product.

Weren’t tripods the rage last year or year before last? Isn’t that the reason there are so many high dollar tripod threads on this site?

• Haha
Plenty of tripod usage in NRL Hunter. We also have a fair number of tripod stages out west in field style PRS matches, simply because terrain dictates it.

Some aren't "tripod stages" per say, but just stages where a tripod makes the most sense. One a couple months ago was a nasty downslope position with a big 180 degree pan and 5 targets. Yes, you could do it with a tall bipod and awkard prone, but panning from the top of a tripod was way easier. Another was a shooting position with waist high sagebrush all around. Only way to see targets was full standing from a tripod. The MD provided a very nice one to use, often those stages are sponsored by a particular tripod vendor to give people a chance to try their product.
So this gets to the meat of the subject. Tripod use in matches is much more relevant and appropriate in the western states wherein tripod use is dictated by the terrain and stages that make sense for it. Too many of the eastern states do not have the open land and terrain that makes tripod use very sensible, other than another variation of a barricade concept.

The majority of positional matches I shoot have at least one tripod stage. One match last year at Raton, a .22 match, was tripod only due to the height of the vegetation due to more than usual rain. You could either use a tripod or shoot offhand, bipod was not an option.

I've shot the center fire Raton match several times from a tripod for the entire match by choice. I like shooting from a tripod.

Reactions: BurtG and lash
Good luck with the small and large varmints 5-600 yards away when vegetation precludes prone or sitting
600 yards on a prairie dog town? Everyone that I know that shoots p-dogs drive up to the spot and haul out folding tables and chairs.

Not everyone hunts the same thing in the same environment. I’ve been hunting for 30+ years and can count on no hands the number of times I thought “you know, this would be better with a tripod.” But, as you say, if no other support is available, and the vegetation/cover is high, a tripod is worth its weight in gold.

Matches are matches. Hunting is hunting. Trying to marry the two is folly. Just look at how many times have we seen the “Hey I’m looking for a do it all rifle for; cqb, home defense, mountain hunting, PRS, and NRA high power.” They never end with a build that is truly practical for multiple endeavors. It is always, build/buy multiple rifles or accept drastic compromise in one or more areas.

Last paragraph sums it up nicely. Matches are matches. They are not hunting or LE or Mil.

The hide really needs a verification system in place like a twitter blue checkmark or something...guys who only exist in forums and nowhere to be seen in the wild should be differentiated from knowledgeable sources. The usefulness of a tripod is not up for debate by any serious long range shooter. They have been utilized with great success in competition, law enforcement, and military use. They are just another tool in the tool bag, can you do without out one sure, you can also use a crescent wrench as a hammer...but a serious mechanic wouldn't.

The hide really needs a verification system in place like a twitter blue checkmark or something...guys who only exist in forums and nowhere to be seen in the wild should be differentiated from knowledgeable sources. The usefulness of a tripod is not up for debate by any serious long range shooter. They have been utilized with great success in competition, law enforcement, and military use. They are just another tool in the tool bag, can you do without out one sure, you can also use a crescent wrench as a hammer...but a serious mechanic wouldn't.
This x1000. I have always enjoyed Sniper's Hide, and have learned a lot here over the years. But lately I almost don't bother checking in because of all of the terrible advice and opinions that come from people who's firearm experience is mostly digital.

Matches are what you make of them. And, at least around here, there are enough for everyone. If the matches you are attending aren’t floating your boat, or aren’t employing your kit du jour, hit another one. Or, become a match director and set up a ‘realistic course of fire.’ I’m sure shooters will be beating down the range gates to shoot the event. More and more, I think shooters are just trying to justify their $1500 set of sticks.

Matches are for testing shooting skill sets.

Yes the skill of the stages set infront if you. Not so you can train with your tripod or even make everyone use a tripod as a tripod is just a piece of equipment. Not used by everyone as you can see in this thread. Seems more like this thread is “I was told on the internet I needed a tripod and went out and spent a lot of money on one and I never get to use it in a match.” Lol Slings are a piece of equipment so we should have a sling stage at every match also right? Damn I can hear the crying now if that happened as I have seen it when it did. And before someone who thinks they are smart says “well you are crying about tripods” I am not. If it pops up it does but there is just being way too much put up about tripods having to be used and why. Not every match has to have a tripod so you can train with it. Go train on your own for your hunts.

Matches are matches. They are not training. You want to use a tripod in them then great. Have at it. Not sure why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over it. Lol Funniest part is those that act like if you don’t use a tripod you don’t shoot matches or are a serious rifleman. That’s some funny shit there. Lol

Typical Louisiana varmint hunting. While deer hunting from a stand. Very few deer stands/blinds have room for a tripod and if properly constructed, have no need for one.. (Not mine, picture borrowed from a fellow hunter)

89D505E0-F78D-4E7A-AE87-B1DBCEEC951B.jpeg

Reactions: 308pirate and lash
Who even said that a tripod is not a tool in the bag? Just you and a couple people that have their panties in a wad over this.

Who said that matches (which is the actual topic in question) are about usefulness in the wild or even about being a serious Long Range shooter?

Sometimes you all crack me the hell up. 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Rob01
Who even said that a tripod is not a tool in the bag? Just you and a couple people that have their panties in a wad over this.

Who said that matches (which is the actual topic in question) are about usefulness in the wild or even about being a serious Long Range shooter?

Sometimes you all crack me the hell up. 🤣🤣🤣

Obviously someone did not read the entirety of the thread before opening their cock holster. Zip it up and get back to binge watching your cuties on netflix

• Haha
Reactions: lash and BurtG
Obviously someone did not read the entirety of the thread before opening their cock holster. Zip it up and get back to binge watching your cuties on netflix
🤣🤣🤣

Don’t project your issues on me just because of feelings of inadequacy.

You obviously are the one who did not read the “the entirety of the thread” or you’d know who actually posted things and contributed and didn’t just jump in to try and show how manly he was.

Thanks for playing though. 👍🏻

Maybe I should repeat the questions one at a time, slowly, so that you can understand and answer them.

Who said that a tripod is not a tool in the bag (your terminology)?

Recap for the slow kid in the back….OP starts thread asking why more matches don’t utilize tripod dependent stages as it seems they have real world applications, fuckstick A jumps in talking about “one bag two world wars I dont need a tripod”…Fuckstick B posts outdated video of sniper comp he never attended with no tripods supposedly (dont have time to watch that bs). Several other Fucksticks circle up and start a jerk fest where you get into the center and ask for all the bukake!

🤣🤣🤣

Wow! You must be a real blast at all the gay orgies you attend. Such a fine understanding of absolutely nothing.

Well, since this is not the Bear Pit and you’ve decided that personal attacks are actually more important than addressing a subject with intelligence. I’ll step out until you fade away.

Tata, “fuckstick”. 👋🏻

It seems pretty simple to me. If you're one of the dudes that wants more tripod shooting stages, there are plenty of opportunities to do so (NRLH, Competion Dynamics, outlaw match etc). I'm not training to be a sniper so I personally don't really care if matches have a tripod stages or not. To be honest, it's just another barricade, albeit a really expensive barricade.

Buy a license and go smoke some coyotes. Plenty of tripod opportunities.

ETA: I shot 19 of 20 stages with a tripod last year at a NRL Hunter comp. It's not always the ticket but you'll find plenty of stages for them in that game.

The OP is based on a faulty premise- that matches need to be, or should be, ‘realistic.’

If you want to train with your tripod, go train with your tripod. Matches test the skills proscribed by the stage briefs. But, the purpose of a match is not to test a predetermined set of ‘realistic’ skills.

Stages that have the shooter shooting; from a designated section of the bouncy end of a 15ft Al pipe gate, or from a chain suspended 8” from the ground, or from a prop that rotates if pushed or pulled (NO TRIPODS); are not somehow less valid because they are not how one would choose to set up a shooting position in combat or while hunting.

Realistic hunting stage.

With a single round, Shooter will engage one target of unknown size, at an unknown distance from the passenger seat of the stage car, while holding a Brinkman spotlight in their off hand. Any equipment is allowed, but any equipment left outside of the car must be left at the stage for the duration of the match (it’s the getaway car, and your shit got left). A stage RO will sit in the driver seat yelling “Cone on! Shoot already! We gotta get out of here!” Upon hitting the target, the shooter must run to the target and drag one of the 100 lb sandbags back across the fault line. Unsuccessful shooters (either miss or too slow) will have their footwear and belts confiscated and will be issued cheap flip flops to wear for the duration of the match (cuz yo ass got arrested). Par time 90s.

Combat realistic stage

Shooter will engage an array of moving targets, at unknown distance and speed. Targets may be engaged in any order, but all targets must be neutralized with 2 hits from a 223/5.56 or one hit from 308/7.62x51. No other calibers allowed. Each miss will result in a burst of incoming machine gun fire onto your position. Keep your head and ass down.
Par time. Unlimited
Round count. Unlimited
Targets. Unknown

Lighten up Francis. It’s a game.

Requiring realism is like saying Basketball would be more realistic if the players didn’t bounce the ball. Or that Baseball would be more realistic if the fielders couldn’t use gloves.