• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why so many 109’s for sale?

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    I’m running 109’s and like them a lot so far.

Seeing a ton of them for sale though. On things like optics and such, I don’t pay attention to stuff like that. Bullets though, it’s rare to see them for sale like this.

I’m just curious for conversation sake. Are people having issues, or just prefer the 105’s?

Well, I was always curious on the rationale for this bullet:

- BC only modestly better than the 105
    - BC modestly below the comp (110 SMK)
    - Very similar BC to the 108
    - Late to the game, most guys have a 105 or 110 or 108 load developed already, that they probably like

Am I missing something on the 109?

Well, I was always curious on the rationale for this bullet:

- BC only modestly better than the 105
    - BC modestly below the comp (110 SMK)
    - Very similar BC to the 108
    - Late to the game, most guys have a 105 or 110 or 108 load developed already, that they probably like

Am I missing something on the 109?

The biggest draw is the point/tipping of the bullet. Supposedly keeps the BC of all Bullets across all lots within 1%.

I have used 4 lots so far and I have had to do zero truing with the AB custom curve. This would indicate the BC being very consistent. With the 105’s and 108’s, I’ve always had to tweak a little from lot to lot.

The biggest draw is the point/tipping of the bullet. Supposedly keeps the BC of all Bullets across all lots within 1%.

I have used 4 lots so far and I have had to do zero truing with the AB custom curve. This would indicate the BC being very consistent. With the 105’s and 108’s, I’ve always had to tweak a little from lot to lot.

That is a fair point and certainly one worth using the bullet for. BC consistency is a huge factor at long ranges, as you don't need to worry as much about the vertical dispersion, allowing you to focus on wind.

I do also find a lot of value in the "Hybrid" aspect of the Berger line up... they are getting good/very good form factors, WITHOUT having to use aggressive secant ogives that make precise harder to achieve. All the latest and greatest SMKs and Hornady bullets are using these aggressive secant ogives that scare me for load development.

In any case, it is a great time to be a reloader - so many bullets to choose from. I remember the days when you had SMKs (we spent all our time arguing about 168gr SMK vs the 175gr SMK) and the aggressive secant VLDs from Berger, and the latest and greatest was the old Hornady A-Maxs (the ones with the melting tips). Now there are almost too many choices.

most of the guys i know - they just didn't shoot AS WELL as the 105s. we all switched back. at least 4 of us in the last month

i think the marginal performance gain wasn't worth the extra cost.

my last two barrels for whatever reason wouldn't push them over 2740 (6br) without hitting pressure. i'd have to check the numbers again but a 105 at normal BR speeds beats the 109s at that speed

i didn't wanna mess with it anymore so i just sold them

Reactions: kindabitey
    Before you condemn a bullet, unless you’re married to a particular brand and type of case and primer, try different primers.

I recently started working with Berger 144 hybrids and noticed that they shout twice as accurate in a large primer case than small.

The tipped 190’s have been amazingly consistent at distance.