• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Why so many Pistols w/ mounts ??

Twisted .308

Sergeant
Minuteman
It seems all you see are pistols with rail mounts being offered ? I mean even on the Ruger LC9 ?? that is supposed to be a subcompact ? so now you can hang a laser or light off it that is bigger than the weapon..
Looking at dealers websites it seems all I see offered are sporting accy. mounts ............HOW many people ACTUALY USE this option ?? I think it looks like crap ..especially on the Beretta's

Re: Why so many Pistols w/ mounts ??

I originally used a laser on my 1911 in order to practice keeping as still as possible. Now the pistol sports a light which I mainly use while I hog hunt at night, it is a lot quicker to pull a pistol out of a holster than it is to pull out a rifle that is slung tightly over your back. The light has saved the lives of several would-be hogs that turned out to be varmints.

Where else would I mount my bayonet ?

I like the option of a light on my pistols, although on a sub-compact I've never used one. As far as looks, who gives a shit? If you're worried about the light not matching your purse, change purses.

I'd like to see a photo of an LC9 with a rail because that is a rare pistol. I think you are mistaking the Lasemax unit that clamps around the trigger guard for a rail mounted laser. There is no "rail" on my LC9 or any LC9 I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlhEMeHxFFg

Most bad guys do bad things under cover of darkness, so most self defense shootings happen at night.

I carry a commander 1911 but just a thought for how I use mine that would translate to a subcompact if it is their only gun. I wear mine with no light but when I go to bed I clip on a TLR3 and set it on the nightstand.

Regaurdless of the lc9 having a rail or not. I still wont touch that pistol. If you tried to commit suicide youd change your mind five times before the hammer drops. I think the point to this post is why would you put an accessory on a POS sub compact hand gun. Make the gun reliable not tacticool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most bad guys do bad things under cover of darkness, so most self defense shootings happen at night.</div></div>

All the more reason not to have a flashlight in front of your eyeball for the bandit to use as a target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EMB2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regaurdless of the lc9 having a rail or not. I still wont touch that pistol. If you tried to commit suicide youd change your mind five times before the hammer drops. I think the point to this post is why would you put an accessory on a POS sub compact hand gun. Make the gun reliable not tacticool. </div></div>

The OP posted about rails on seemingly every gun, and cited the LC9 as a small gun with a rail. I just pointed out that his info was incorrect. Touch an LC9, or don't, doesn't matter to me. The OP's main statement was about "rails on guns". Let's not hijack his thread about railed guns into an LC9 debate.

I do like the clean look of my Gen 2 Glock 23, but there are times I wish I could put a light on it.

It's kinda funny that this thread exists. I think only one of my handguns even has a rail (M&P).

Do I need a rail on my handgun? no, but it's not hurting anything being there and I at least have the option to use it.

Why the rail on my sub-compact? How else would I mount my M203?

I have worked third shift as an LEO for 10 of the 14 years I have been on the road. I don't carry a weapon that doesn't have a light, my Glock 21, Bushmaster AR and MP5 are all equipped with lights. It's a lot easier to clear a building in the dark without having to wrestle a light in one hand and a weapon in the other.

My "go-to" pistol recently had a rail added for a light as well. Yes, for most "mall ninjas", the rail is simply a marketing ploy. However, a lot of us do use them.

My ccw piece always has a light on it and if it doesn't then I have a light in my pocket.

My carry weapon is a glock 22, and it has a 90 lumen light on the rail. Your far more likely to have a negative encounter in the dark as a civi. I think the idea is solid, but no one ever takes advantage of it. The 1911 I have for when things go bump in the night also has a light on the rail (200 lumen). In a low/ no light situation when you need to ID your threat before you fire. You want the damn light. That is why people always get friendly kills. Wife gets up for a glass of water, drops the wet glass. It startles hubby, groggy hubby reaches for his colt peacemaker and she gets mowed down by hubby cause he lacked foresight/ (training I guess) to ID his target before the shot broke.

My bad , I was looking at the SR9C and LCP stuck in my head , still they are only offered with the rail in SR9C model... just didn't make alot of sense to me why you try to make a "Concealable Carry " as possible Framed pistol ..then have a rail on it that adds more mass to the package .That was the main idea I was referring to ....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still waiting to see a railed tacticool revolver. Calling it right now.</div></div>

Take in an ICORE match. You'd be supprised the crap some people put on a revolver.

I don't get the bitch here? I like the option of having a light on my pistol. I train at night every opportunity I get, and a weapon mounted light beats a handheld light by a long margin.

Its better to have and not need than need and not have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its better to have and not need than need and not have. </div></div>

Amen!

IMAG0191.jpg

I'd hate to have to splain to an investigating officer or jury how I was able to identify a threat in the dark sans illumination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how would one mount a bayonet without one? </div></div>

That's a little to close for comfort... lol

I love that my M&P has the rail on it. I have a TLR-1s on it, since it is a range and home defense gun right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most bad guys do bad things under cover of darkness, so most self defense shootings happen at night.</div></div>

All the more reason not to have a flashlight in front of your eyeball for the bandit to use as a target.
</div></div>
That was one of my main concerns as well, but in pitch black in my house, even at over 30 feet away, that 160 lumen light really messes up your vision. Even if you just throw the light in their eyes for a second with the momentary switch, their vision will be gone for several seconds. I would much rather have it than not.

All my weapons have strobe lights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was one of my main concerns as well, but in pitch black in my house, even at over 30 feet away, that 160 lumen light really messes up your vision. Even if you just throw the light in their eyes for a second with the momentary switch, their vision will be gone for several seconds. I would much rather have it than not.</div></div>

I learned that a long time ago.

I've done hundred if not thousands of building searches, spent most of my career working nights. Most alone.

I will not have a light on my gun. I want it seperate, arm's length away. And I dont want it left on. I want the push button so I can just flash it.

I also don't want a bright light. The cheap flashlights not the super brigth stuff. They blind you as much as the bandit, reflecting on walls, windows..........everything.

You want you flashlight seperate from the gun, therefore you want to do most of your practice using ONE hand.

I like the lasers but we didn't have then when I was in LE. I want a button you have to press to activate, by gripping or what ever. I wont it to work with either hand.

Very seldom do you find youself in a non light or total darkness situation.

I know lots of people like lights and other gadgits hanging off their guns, I don't, just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Miles2go</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All my weapons have strobe lights. </div></div>

Ahh, good plan sir. Give them seizures before you shoot them.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It seems all you see are pistols with rail mounts being offered ? I mean even on the Ruger LC9 ?? that is supposed to be a subcompact ? so now you can hang a laser or light off it that is bigger than the weapon..
Looking at dealers websites it seems all I see offered are sporting accy. mounts ............HOW many people ACTUALY USE this option ?? I think it looks like crap ..especially on the Beretta's </div></div>

Looks are irrelevant on a defensive weapon. Function over form. I run a weapon light on my duty gun. I would personally not own a duty gun or a home defense pistol without a light rail. On the sub compact they have smaller lights for those.
Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know ...marketing ...LOL

I guess my idea for " Zombie " sights will be a big hit .... 1 zombie face on front sight , 2 on the back .....line 'em up and your a winner .... </div></div>

You really need to go back to marketing school. Lining up three zombies tells you you're on target? Come on. At least get creative with it.

I figure the front (middle) sight should have a zombie head with a bullet hole in it and the back (sides) sight should have brains flying out either side. That way when you line them up it looks like you just shot a zombie. This is a tactical mental preparation that will help you get a quicker sight picture, pull the trigger faster and cleaner, AND will cycle your pistol 10% faster.

Add in something saying that the sights are "BDC calibrated" to Hornady's Z-Max ammo and you've got a million dollar idea....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I need a rail on my handgun? no, but it's not hurting anything being there and I at least have the option to use it. </div></div>

That's about all the explanation necessary to squash it. Who gives a shit if it's on your gun. If you don't want to hang a laser/light...then don't. Someone will and they're going to buy a gun that gives them the option.

If you don't like the look of the rail, you can always just buy picatinny rail covers.

Did some more night shooting this weekend. Shot just fine with a handgun in one hand and a light in the other, but shot much better with a weapons mounted light and having one hand available for reloads etc.

Sorry for digging this one up but of course we all use it:)

261i8fc.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">And its upside down FML should use that preview more I guess. Im fixing it
</span>

Fixed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Looking at dealers websites it seems all I see offered are sporting accy. mounts ............HOW many people ACTUALY USE this option ?? I think it looks like crap ..especially on the Beretta's </div></div>

That's why I bought a 92FS NIB recently, all they're making now is that A1 crap.....

I <span style="font-style: italic">almost</span> never use mall ninja gear. I guess if I had kids, I'd keep a light on my bedside gun, but other than that.....

I feel the downside of lights/lasers giving your position away is greater than the benefit.....unless I had kids....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use them with silencers and laser/lights for night-time pests ... </div></div>

I stand corrected. I conceed these are worthwhile uses.
wink.gif

I run a light on my glocks as well as my shotgun and AR, g19 g17 with insight lights. raven ccw holster and they never come off. they are great for having in low light. Light can also be a use of force option blind someone and say stop don't make me shoot will really get attention and perhaps end the situation.

10x7zuh.jpg
</div></div>

Bwahahahaha .... Love it !!!!
grin.gif

In my opinion, rails on a pistol are like tits on a boar ..... USELESS.

Although, 50% of the buying market in the U.S. is attributed to 'Tacti-Cool' shooters. Ninety-nine percent of 'Tacti-Cool' shooters have no sense of practicality, and only want it to make them 'LOOK' cool. In my opinion, it only makes them look more like a<span style="font-weight: bold"> Mall Ninja</span>!

motivatorac5777c8efb1fbfab5211356a0.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Da-Law-Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have worked third shift as an LEO for 10 of the 14 years I have been on the road. I don't carry a weapon that doesn't have a light, my Glock 21, Bushmaster AR and MP5 are all equipped with lights. It's a lot easier to clear a building in the dark without having to wrestle a light in one hand and a weapon in the other.

My "go-to" pistol recently had a rail added for a light as well. Yes, for most "mall ninjas", the rail is simply a marketing ploy. However, a lot of us do use them. </div></div>

+1000