• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why Spend $3k on Schmidt & Bender

Re: Why Spend $3k on Schmidt & Bender

what i find is most shooters either want the best out of the gate, or they want an edge on what they currently have. mechanically, your not going to get more out of an S&B than you would from a nightforce for instance, though you can get a few extra features, such as locking and mtc style turrets.

optically how ever, you do get a bit of an edge, this translates to better performance in poor light conditions, helps the shooter better cope with mirage and helps with target recognition. the benefits are marginal, but sometimes thats all that matters.

Re: Schmidt & Bender

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allwheeldriven</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why spend $3k on a S&B? Because you can!

I myself think a $150 Bushnell fixed 10x with Mildot reticle and MOA knobs is good enough to consistently make hits. But scopes are like women's purses, for slight improvements, and a cool label, you pay exponentially! Everyone likes labels and wants to be cool right? Well a cool name helps you to be cool.

I guess I am getting to be women like now, not quite LV/S&B level but close. I have ACOGs (3) and Nightforces (2), and plan to get 2 more NF's. All my future builds will quality glass because I like pretty labels. </div></div>

Eh, I'd say the first comparison is a bit like saying a Ferrari isn't much different than a Ford.
Both will, for the most part, get you from point A to B but there is no doubt the Ferrari is a much better place to be and in my opinion worth the extra cost.
You only live once; and if you can manage to get the finer things in life I see no reason not to.
That's just me though.

</div></div>

Depends on what your doing. A ferrari wouldnt do so hot on my trapline.
wink.gif

To me it comes down to "needing" something and "wanting" it. There is a difference.

Do I "want" a $3000+ scope? Hell yes, what shooter doesnt.

Do I "need" a $3000+ scope? Not in the least.

Im gonna be the odd man out here.

Ive shot through a few S&B's....right next to my Nightforces and US Optics.

Nice glass yes. I kind of expected to be blown away with optical clarity, definition and resolution. I wasnt.

Never once have I been shooting behind one of my Nightforces and then settled in behind a Schmidt and thought, "My god, look what I have been missing!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im gonna be the odd man out here.

Ive shot through a few S&B's....right next to my Nightforces and US Optics.

Nice glass yes. I kind of expected to be blown away with optical clarity, definition and resolution. I wasnt.

Never once have I been shooting behind one of my Nightforces and then settled in behind a Schmidt and thought, "My god, look what I have been missing!" </div></div>

I'm opposite you. I really like Nightforce, but holy shit there is no comparison between the two glass wise. Nightforce is great where it matters and that has nothing to do with glass(which is just "ok"). If you cant see the difference, you are fortunate. I mean that respectfully.

Ive said this before and I'll say it again. I have pissed away tens of thousands of dollars on shit just finding my way in this particular discipline. Eventually I arrived at an AIAW topped with a S&B. I laughed out loud the first time I played with and learned the price of that combo(about 10 years ago). Now here I am, and I know they are worth every penny.

To the OP: The only question you need to ask yourself is how serious are you about this discipline? If the answer is "very serious", then a few extra grand buying top shelf stuff means absolutely ZERO.

I'm happy this thread came about. I just bought a NF 5.5-22x56 and kept thinking if I made a mistake not buying a US Optics, S&B, Hensoldt etc... Glad I didn't although I don't know enough to know whats better anyway. Most of you guys do so I can see where you would disagree with me.

I have owned S&B, US Optics, Leupold, and a few others that I don't even care to mention. I can tell you without a doubt there is a reason that many people are fanatical about S&B scopes. I can tell you that IMO they rank as being one of the best that money can buy.

I'm not a fanboy either as I'm going to try a Nightforce on my next purchase and put it through the paces.

By asking for opinions you are only going to confuse yourself even more. Form your own opinion by looking through different scopes and decide for yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
.. But scopes are like women's purses, for slight improvements, and a cool label, you pay exponentially! .. </div></div>
Couldn't you have chosen a more masculine simile?