• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why such a weight difference between first and second focal plane scopes?

91Eunozs

The Man (Retired)
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2013
    south central Texas
    Honestly don’t know the answer…. I prefer 1FP scopes for shooting beyond a couple hundred yards, but man, the weight penalty for good glass is staggering. Have another thread seeking ideas for a lightweight scope (under 20 oz if possible) for backpacking/hunting with at least 18x on the top end.

However, as I continue my research, every time I find a scope with all the features I’m looking for, it’s invariably a 2FP scope. Really want a lightweight hunting scope with a simple reticle, and as light as reasonably possible while still being robust enough to handle the recoil from a 300WSM on a 10# platform without losing zero.

Always happy for recommendations, but don’t want to start yet another thread on the same ‘what to buy’ type quest, so would like to keep this one to the discussion of scope design and construction.

Purely subjective question: Anyone here have any info on where the sweet spot is for good glass vs. weight?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Razor LHT is 22oz and mk5 3-18 is 26oz.

And there are some march options out there.

All plenty robust.

Robustness requires thicker tubes and parts. Which equals weight. 21-26oz is probably gonna be the floor for this.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    I have looked around everywhere. I got this scope on my ultra lightweight 6.5 creed and leave it at 10x. I only have around 50-60 rounds down the pipe and like it.

I want a 16 or 18 power fixed power with a mil Xmas tree reticle that is tough and lightweight

614F4195-484B-4984-8F64-A761BECDF97A.jpeg

The lightest robust FFP scopes is probably SWFA SS HD 3-9x42. If memory serves me right, it is around 19 ounces.
    Vortex Razor HD-LHT 4.5-22x50 is 21.7 ounces, although quite a bit more money.
    Leupold Mark5 HD with illuminated PR-1 is about 26 ounces and another step up in price.
    March 3-24x52 is around 24 ounces and a bit more money.
    Tangent Theta TT315M or TT315H is similar weigh and a big step up in price. Amazing scope though.

Bushnell has the new LRHS2 4.5-18x44. I have not seen it yet.
    Tract is coming out with a 2.5-15x44. I have this one and it seems to be a well made scope.

ILya

The lightest robust FFP scopes is probably SWFA SS HD 3-9x42. If memory serves me right, it is around 19 ounces.
    Vortex Razor HD-LHT 4.5-22x50 is 21.7 ounces, although quite a bit more money.
    Leupold Mark5 HD with illuminated PR-1 is about 26 ounces and another step up in price.
    March 3-24x52 is around 24 ounces and a bit more money.
    Tangent Theta TT315M or TT315H is similar weigh and a big step up in price. Amazing scope though.

Bushnell has the new LRHS2 4.5-18x44. I have not seen it yet.
    Tract is coming out with a 2.5-15x44. I have this one and it seems to be a well made scope.

ILya
    Do you happen to know why FFP scopes consistently weigh more than SFP?