• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why Suppress a 22 Rifle?

It's a lot of fun.

The ballistics are wonky, but there is something to be learned when compared to supers.

Honestly, it's mostly a ton of fun for cheap.

Good for folks that are scared of guns.

Reactions: stefan73
Because Poors.....

lot of advantages.
a few hassles and expense.
shooting without ear pro is a huge plus.

tenor (9).gif

As another "Old Guy", let me add something. When a person has been around shooting, blacksmithing, welding, heavy equipment, beating and banging on large pipe (from the inside)..... We have lost a large percentage of our hearing.... So, that .22 now sounds more like a BB Gun...

Some folks just don't need a suppressor... Like the old guy at the range not wearing hearing protection...

Hobo

A suppressor makes it way easier to hear impacts on steel at 300-400 yards. No real accuracy difference in field shooting as long as the lead buildup isn't contacting the bullets. The weight of a suppressor on my T1X sags the barrel enough to require separate zeros, so that could be an issue.

Reactions: Longshot231
because the kids do not need hearing protection so you can more effectively communicate.

The kids and I were shooting in what we call the shooting gallery for almost 2 hours about a 1000 rounds later and the neighbor did not even know we were shooting (his shop is about 50' behind the firing line). He walked out as we were almost done and saw us, came over and helped finish off the kids brick of ammo.

Two of my airguns are louder than the suppressed 22's

Like others above said also. Because I can.

Sorry, Iā€™m an old guy. Been plinking with 22 for 50yrs. +. Iā€™m totally ignorant about suppressors.

I get the quiet thing. Does that heā€™s with accuracy?
I have not had any issues with accuracy running a suppressor. I am running a Silencerco Specter II on my .22's. For maximum effect you will want to use subsonic rounds. I have been shooting the Gemtech subs which were made by CCI if I am correct and are discontinued from what I can tell. I am going to try some Eley's subs next.

First time I shot CCI Quiet's through my Ruger 77 bolt .22LR I had to take the bolt out and make sure the barrel was clear because it was so quiet that I thought the round didn't leave the barrel. After inspection of the downrange target I found the impact and was pleasantly surprised.

My primary use is to be courteous to my neighbors and protect hearing or what's left of my hearing when doing depredation.

Because I am OLD and by the time I jave jumped thru all these hoops to jump thru, I am to old to enjoy it, but they got the $$$
What would a host rifle be? Not going to mar my vintage shit.
I think they are required in some of Europe and the UK. Just a part you buy to shoot but pretty cheap and over the counter.
Here, We hear of hearing protection laws passed but you have to pay some $$$ to be mindful of your neighbors.
Car without a muffler.

.22 cbā€™s out of a suppressed bolt gun is so quiet, the impact is louder than the report.

Mostly because we can, but like so many others have said it keeps the neighbors out of your business and not making the dishwasher angry

Reactions: SBRSarge
Ok , thanks
Iā€™ve got a Gamo Whisper Fusion that I shoot in the garage. I too have a lifetime of loud on my ears.A lot of it before I knew anything about hearing protection.

Iā€™ve got a 10/22 build going. Got a Kidd barrel unthreaded. Just trying to learn.

Edumacate mešŸ¤”

To terrify your anti-gun neighbors.

There's nothing more fun than getting all camo'd up with face paint, screwing a can on an M&P 15-22 and dumping hundreds of rounds of .22lr down range while repeatedly glancing across the street at your liberal neighbors tending to their landscaping. And it's cheap enough to do every weekend!

I like the idea on a pistol or SBR bolt gun, but for a 16 inch rifle, how long is a 22can, 6 inches? So you are over 20 inches. I run a 24 inch barrel and frankly with subs, even under cover, I fart louder. Sure, if you are looking for the ultimate in quiet, but frankly in the last match, the suppressed 22lr was so quiet, I only knew there was a shot when the shooter ran the bolt- the wind was blowing stuff around and was louder than the shot.

i have a few vintage with the right ammo to punk some bird with. Very quiet. Less noise than my pellet gun. CB and BB. Old shit shoots good for what I need.
I have never stuck one in the bore. All cleared. Like the old sights.
Something to look out for when shootin Old shit is to make sure it went out of the barrel!! Duds occure. I have seen some bulged barrels lately.

Because I all ready have a can for my 450 bushmaster that will also thread onto my 300 blackout and another can to use on my Glock 21 and 36.
The 22 was the next logical step for me.

Oh and because I can.

so your neighbor does not hear you shoot there squirrel , cat , dog , as he she or it tramples or digs up your freshly replanted flower bead for the last time lol .

A friend back in the day used to take a 2 liter pop jug, cut the bottom off and filled it with some packing peanuts. He'd tape the bottom back on and put the barrel into the neck of the jug. He'd tape the jug onto to the barrel. The thing was almost completely silent. Don't remember about the accuracy...

I guess if you have a can your a felon at least in my state, we must live in a different country if its legal where you live.

A friend back in the day used to take a 2 liter pop jug, cut the bottom off and filled it with some packing peanuts. He'd tape the bottom back on and put the barrel into the neck of the jug. He'd tape the jug onto to the barrel. The thing was almost completely silent. Don't remember about the accuracy...
I preferred toilet paper stuffed down the mouth of a two liter bottle so I didn't half to tape it back together back in the day.

I preferred toilet paper stuffed down the mouth of a two liter bottle so I didn't half to tape it back together back in the day.

Funny you mention that, I put the water bottle over the Ruger 22 and shot it from the kitchen into the back yard. Well the bottle went flying and everyone had ringing in their ears.

This is the worst question Iā€™ve ever seen on SH

Well sheee it. Iā€™ve been outed. Youā€™re onto me.
Iā€™m dumb as fuck.
I should change my screen name to something that lets people know right up front how motherfucking stupid I am.

Iā€™m thinking maybe.....

LordGodKingDumbAsFuck

Yeah šŸ¤”I like it. Gives everyone something to aspiring to.

And of course my theme song.

Warning!! Do Not Attempt!!

May result in injury to self or others!

This thread was performed by a professional dumb shit on a closed course.

The good ones make it look easy.

šŸ™„

Why suppress a .22 LR? It makes my barrel look longer:ROFLMAO: I'm not compensating for anything so don't judge me:ROFLMAO:

As previously stated, there is something incredible that happens within the soul of the shooter who only hears the click of the firing pin or the cycling of the action then the "plop" or the "ping" down range.

A few months ago, a friend and I took a new shooter out with the suppressed Buckmarks. There was nobody else at the range. So we didn't wear any hearing protection.

The new shooter was hooked. The look on his face was the same look a teenage boy gets when he comes home after his first hot date.

If everyone suppressed their firearms you would be surprised at how much more enjoyable the sport would be from the shooting ranges to the back yards.

Savage B22 A.jpg
IMG_1674.jpg
IMG_1578.jpg
IMG_1579.jpg

Why suppress a .22 LR? It makes my barrel look longer:ROFLMAO: I'm not compensating for anything so don't judge me:ROFLMAO:

As previously stated, there is something incredible that happens within the soul of the shooter who only hears the click of the firing pin or the cycling of the action then the "plop" or the "ping" down range.

A few months ago, a friend and I took a new shooter out with the suppressed Buckmarks. There was nobody else at the range. So we didn't wear any hearing protection.

The new shooter was hooked. The look on his face was the same look a teenage boy gets when he comes home after his first hot date.

If everyone suppressed their firearms you would be surprised at how much more enjoyable the sport would be from the shooting ranges to the back yards.

View attachment 7478085View attachment 7478086View attachment 7478087View attachment 7478088

Why does your barrel look so long on that 22 rifle ?

Why does your barrel look so long on that 22 rifle ?

It's not necessarily the rifle but HOLY COW look at how long that pistol barrel is! "Quick, Margaret, turn your head. Children, stop starring!"

• Haha
Reactions: Merlin O
I usually start new shooters kids and women off with my suppressed CZ 455 so that they don't get the crack. Most do not know that the rifle fired. So they get comfortable with shooting and want to try it again and again....
Not a stupid question either.
Suppressors are like Lay's potatoes chips tho, you can't have just 1.....šŸ¤£

Because itā€™s as close as you can get to ā€œHollywood quietā€

mans its FUCKING COOL! Thatā€™s why.

So it quiets the rifle. I know itā€™s hard to believe but I knew that šŸ¤“
I honestly thought maybe there was something else happening that I was unaware of. Something that helped with precision and accuracy. And I get that even on a 22 a quieter rifle could help with that.

Thanks
Moe Ron

See what I did there. Moe Ron, moron Get it.šŸ˜¬

1. I can shoot as much as I want in the back of the property and not bother anyone.
2. It is a great way to introduce someone to shooting and also when line coaching.
3. It makes me giggle every time I pull the trigger.
4. It makes my target stapler sound REALLY loud in comparison.