• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why Suppress a 22 Rifle?

I suppress my 22's because I shoot allot and I need to save what hearing I have left. That and it's still a "COOL" badge but it used to be way cooler about 10 years ago. Seems like the suppressor popularity meter has spiked for the general public. Kinda how AR's made nongunners into gunners. When all it takes is money thaen here we are.

Reactions: Moe Ron
Because I can!!! Why do anything in life... It doesn't have to be explained to other people and doesnt have to make sense to other people. If it floats your boat crank it up!!!
DSC03031.jpg

Because I am OLD and by the time I jave jumped thru all these hoops to jump thru, I am to old to enjoy it, but they got the $$$
What would a host rifle be? Not going to mar my vintage shit.
I think they are required in some of Europe and the UK. Just a part you buy to shoot but pretty cheap and over the counter.
Here, We hear of hearing protection laws passed but you have to pay some $$$ to be mindful of your neighbors.
Car without a muffler.

Bolt gun would be the most effective but a semi will work also. CZ bolt .22's or a Ruger 10/22 is you want semi are all good choices.

Back to the original question. Suppressors save hearing.
Oddly, my 28" Win 52 is very quiet without a suppressor and target ammo. More so than some suppressed shorter rifles. Odd but true.

Back to the original question. Suppressors save hearing.
Oddly, my 28" Win 52 is very quiet without a suppressor and target ammo. More so than some suppressed shorter rifles. Odd but true.
My CZ UL, same set-up and quiet with match ammo also. 28" barrel serves no purpose other than for longer sight radius, powder burn is long over and bullet is coasting out the muzzle.

I also forgot to add that it makes little guns look cool and other classy ones look even better. Top - Berretta M21. Bottom - Umarex Colt 1911-22.

Beretta M21.jpeg
IMG_0922.jpg

Spent Friday afternoon at my home range shooting bowling pins and gongs. I have a suppressed Ruger 22/45 Lite. Because I invited my proud but poors friend, all of us had to wear ear pros and listen to his loud Beretta.

God Bless the MSA/Sordin Pro-X sets though.

@longshot232,
What is the small brass item above the Beretta? I have seen them but cannot recall just now.

Thanks, I thought it was something else like a PJ O"Hare Springfield sight adjustment tool.
My match safe is an old low tech Marble's.

Suppressor's are handy.
Especially on an all night bunnybash.
Just keeps the noise down.
Sadly, they are illegal here in Western Australia.
Used them where I grew up, and UK.
Can be used as a muzzle brake as well.

Strange question....Logical,rational response-if you are able to shoot virtually anywhere with little ,if no sound.....Why would'nt you???
I sit every night and enjoy shooting .22 and .300WH off my porch in the backyard,my dogs are running around,livestock grazing peacefully-all looking every 30sec at the strange sound of steel ringing...very mellow and relaxing.

If you really feel like there should be sound effects while shooting, you could always say "pew" when you squeeze the trigger. However, nobody says "pew pew" better Dana Loesch. Skip to the 25 second mark.

Agreed but you have to go through the ridiculous Federal BS and also a $200 charge.Should just be free to save everyones hearing.Really a health issue.

Reactions: Bubs
1.) Not needing to wear hearing protection is nice.
2.) Lets you shoot at any hour without worrying about pissing off the neighbors.

I’m looking for suppressor for my 22 for a couple of reasons.
1) America !
2) Shoot in my backyard without bothering neighbors
3)America !
4) Not having to wear ear protection.
I shot my buddies with a can and I really dug it. With that being said is there anything I should look at before going down this rabbit hole ? Thanks in advance !

Rimfire cans get dirty fast and need to be cleaned regularly. Pick one that is easy to disassemble for cleaning.

At my first NRL22 match, there was a guy shooting a suppressed CZ. My daughters froze when they realized that his rifle was making no noise, yet steel was ringing down range. I will own a suppressor or 3 when we get done with this overseas assignment. 2 for my 22 gamer guns, and one for my 9mm.

G'day all, love all of your answers funny or not. Here in oorstralia we do not talk talk funny and we can spel reeel woords but i like the the way you can hang these things on you barrels. We are not allowed cans / suppressors/ muzzle devises without special permit. Loss of licence and 10 years in the slammer is the result lol.I have 2 cats that i need to get rid of, oh well there is always the rabbit trap.Scott

I have suppressors on most of my hgunting .22 rifles and one of my .22 pistols and one on a .22 revolver.

Top: BSA International MkII Martini action. About 18 inches now (cut nine off the end) MAE suppressor from my Rem Model Seven .223.

Bottom: S&W M&P 15/22 with DPT suppressor with five baffles.

xgPONcH.jpg

Top: BRNO Mod 2. Shortened and Parker-Hale supressor.

Bottom: CZ Scout with Parker-Hale suppressor.

auszQeT.jpg

Browning SA22 with MAE stainless steel rimfire suppressor.

VRnkjCs.jpg

Ruger 10/22 with Parker-Hale suppressor. Also fitted with a poymer rear buffer pin to reduce action noise.

sJqnDCl.jpg

Ruger 22/45 shortened and a MAE stainless steel suppressor added. Same model as on the BSA at the top.

pLFi7zk.jpg

I have a heap more. These were just the ones with photos easily to hand. The ones I haven't suppressed are things like my Marlin 39A, Enfield No.8 and No.9 trainers and target rifle where the rules don't allow it.

Reactions: Longshot231
Its just nice, I don't need hearing protections and quite enough not to spoof of the neighbors.

Why suppress a .22 LR? It makes my barrel look longer:ROFLMAO: I'm not compensating for anything so don't judge me:ROFLMAO:

As previously stated, there is something incredible that happens within the soul of the shooter who only hears the click of the firing pin or the cycling of the action then the "plop" or the "ping" down range.

A few months ago, a friend and I took a new shooter out with the suppressed Buckmarks. There was nobody else at the range. So we didn't wear any hearing protection.

The new shooter was hooked. The look on his face was the same look a teenage boy gets when he comes home after his first hot date.

If everyone suppressed their firearms you would be surprised at how much more enjoyable the sport would be from the shooting ranges to the back yards.

View attachment 7478085View attachment 7478086View attachment 7478087View attachment 7478088
Man those are fine weapons. I totally agree. My suppressors are ordered and I’m hoping everything goes through ok. Kind of worried given the change in administrations. Thanks for sharing your post.

Reactions: Longshot231
because it would be too hard to make a 22 sound like a howitzer . might as well go quieter .

Reactions: SBRSarge