• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why the AICS?

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
Help me justify giving the money for a stock. What makes the AICS so liked or disliked. I have no experience with one, so I'm looking for wisdom. Thanks.

Re: Why the AICS?

Justify the money on the stock:

A McM A-4 or A-5 or Manners with integral adjustable cheekpiece, Badger or Seekins bottom metal, and a magazine, and bedding will cost you more than the AICS. Plus the McM and Manners don't fold like the 2.0.

Why its liked: Its EASY and adjustable. Drop your action in, bolt it down, shoot it, and torque it again.

Why its not liked: The thumb hole isn't for everyone.

Its best to find someone that can let you try one out to see if its for you or not.

Hope that helps. I like them. I find on the LA 338 magazine that the first round can be hard to strip out but all four after are smooth as butter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Justify the money on the stock:

A McM A-4 or A-5 or Manners with integral adjustable cheekpiece, Badger or Seekins bottom metal, and a magazine, and bedding will cost you more than the AICS. Plus the McM and Manners don't fold like the 2.0.

Why its liked: Its EASY and adjustable. Drop your action in, bolt it down, shoot it, and torque it again.

Its best to find someone that can let you try one out to see if its for you or not.

Hope that helps. I like them. I find on the LA 338 magazine that the first round can be hard to strip out but all four after are smooth as butter. </div></div>

That pretty much says it right there. By the time you spend the money on a Mcmillan or Manners and have it bedded and put bottom metal on it, your going to be over $1000. The AICS is a drop-in fit. Bolt your stock down and enjoy. The thumb hole is seriously the only thing that people don't like.

Brand692 nailed it. The biggest selling point to me is included bottom metal. When you compare prices of a manners/mcmillan etc., the AICS compares very favorably.

The stock is not for everyone. If you are considering one, I would try to find one to try. Of course, since the stock is such a personal choice, I would do that with any stock.

Thanks for the info. I sure do like the looks of the AICS. I've never held one though. I'll try one first, before buying. Thanks again for the knowledge in these forums.

A manners with the mini-chassis will be slightly cheaper than the AICS 2.0 and does not have to be bedded.

Weight of the AICS was the biggest drawback for me.

If you order an AICS stock today you will have it in your hands in about a week. To me thats a huge plus I have gun project a.d.d. real bad and if I have to wait to long I might move on and start something else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Justify the money on the stock:

2nd that, give one a try first but for no bedding that is a added bonus.

Hope that helps. I like them. I find on the LA 338 magazine that the first round can be hard to strip out but all four after are smooth as butter. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you order an AICS stock today you will have it in your hands in about a week. To me thats a huge plus I have gun project a.d.d. real bad and if I have to wait to long I might move on and start something else.</div></div>

We've got most all AICS on hand and ready to go, and can always expedite shipping to get it in even less than a week
wink.gif
Not too long back a customer needed a 2.0 S/A rushed out due to unforseen events, and we managed to get it to him overnight so he could make his competition that weekend. No need to wait for the stock to be custom-built, then sent off to a gunsmith for fitting...just order online, get it, drop your 700 in, and start shooting.

Before you spend that kind of money make sure to get behind one. They are either a LOVE or Hate design.

There are some other excellent options out there that are even less money with the exact same features.

Just try before you buy.

If you do buy one and try it, Shoot it for a couple weeks. It is so different your first impression might not do it justice. I did not like mine much at all at first - a friend convinced me to shoot it for a couple weeks first before I got rid of it and boy I'm glad I did. I absolutely love it. Now it's the non-thumbholed stocks that feel ackward.

Likes - It becomes part of the shooter - the best way to describe, it's like driving the rifle rather than just being a passenger going along for the ride.

Dislikes - A little heavy, but the flip side is it makes it very stable. I never minded carrying a rifle that weights a little more as long as it shoots.

The nice part is that the re-sale value will be there if you do decide that the stock is not for you. Give it a try!

Good Luck,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crossgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before you spend that kind of money make sure to get behind one. They are either a LOVE or Hate design.

There are some other excellent options out there that are even less money with the exact same features.

Just try before you buy. </div></div>

The first time I jumped behind a rifle with a ACIS I hated it.
Later on in the same day I had a chance for more time with the ACIS and now like it.

The ability of the ACIS stock fitting multiple barreled actions is also a plus (IE no bedding).

I like mine...like SRT you can have it and be shooting in a couple of days. Which is not possible with either Manners or Mcm. I called Manners about a T5a mini chassis, 15 wks out..
I have the 2.0 and am glad I went that route, easier cleaning, easier to transport..

My .02 cents

If the thumb hole has the potential of bothering you than you might what to consider the McRees which can accommodate a variety of grips.

I believe another positive factor which hasn't been mentioned yet is the adjustability of both the ACIS and McRees line to your personal preferences.

Both are great choices....my .02 worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Help me justify giving the money for a stock. What makes the AICS so liked or disliked. I have no experience with one, so I'm looking for wisdom. Thanks. </div></div>

It's likes because it works.

It's disliked because some don't like how it feels.

Just be warned you need to spend some time behind it before you decide if you like it or not. When you first get behind it, it will most likely feel "funny" if you are used to traditional stocks. After some trigger time they start to feel just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Help me justify giving the money for a stock.</span> What makes the AICS so liked or disliked. I have no experience with one, so I'm looking for wisdom. Thanks. </div></div>

A quality stock with AICS compatible bottom metal is $800-1000 anyway you slice it.

If you can, try before you buy....

I could really care less if chicks dig it. Last time I tried to impress someone at the range I was probably 14 years old I prefer to shoot by myself now. I like it beacuse if fits me and works like its supposed to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could really care less if chicks dig it. Last time I tried to impress someone at the range I was probably 14 years old I prefer to shoot by myself now. I like it beacuse if fits me and works like its supposed to. </div></div>

That was a joke. I shoot by myself to.

Lee.

I hunt with mine too. Maybe I'll get some picks loaded up from deer season this year.

I, like most, started of hating it. Ended up getting one on a trade, and after spending some time behind it, I love it.

I don't even own one, but first time I tried it, it just felt natural. The extra weight is a huge plus when shooting prone. I like my McMillan too, but prefer the AICS.

likes?
-it is tough as hell
-if a skin is damaged it can be easly replaced
-color changes are easy
-adjustable cheek riser can be canted left to right as well as up and down
-i just added the adjustable but pad for it adjusts for cant as well as up/down
-easy to maintain
-not temprature sensitive, shrinking & expanding in massive temp changes like we get here in co.

dsilikes?, not really any
-if you have meaty hands the thumbhole can be a pain, the way i get around this is to not use it, i just allow my thumb to ride along the side of the stock
like a regular rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very high CDI factor! What more could you want.

Noone here mentioned that the mags are about the best you can get regardless if they are 5 or 10 rounders. And you get one with the stock instead of buying with separate dbm.

(CDI=chicks dig it) </div></div>

No, chicks don't dig it. Matter of fact they have no idea what it is.

I have McMillan A4, and a M40A1 HTG and I love the stocks. I did happen to buy a rifle recently that had an AICS on it and wondered if I would like it. After taking some behind it I really began to love it - it just fit me well. I have the 2.0 version which is nice when you have to clean so you don't have to remove the cheek piece. I find it a rugged alternative to the McMillan and Manners stocks. I am having another built right now by Mike Bush at Skunkworks in his Infidel Model I like the stock so much.

It is heavy but then again so is a McMillan when it is bedded and has sniper fill in it.

I thought I was the only one that had the first time I hated it syndrome:) Seems if you have big hands the thumbhole touches the back of your thumb/hand a lot, takes some getting used to. My big thing was I had to go to higher rings than normal to get a comfortable cheek weld. I have a 1.5 and even with the cheek piece all the way down I couldn't get comfortable with high 34 mm seekins. I put a set of 1 inch badgers on and they are better. I was thinking of even going to the AI mount. Does anyone know the height of the 34 mm version? Anyway love all the stuff people mention above not bedding, no wait, rock solid but still have to admit it feels a little weird still. Would I sell mine, probably not. Would I buy another one probably not. I have almost pulled the trigger on the Mcree but have trouble with the grip selection. Seems most grips that extend up under the curved area of the ar15 receiver ie the MIAD have to modified. Love Manners and Mcmillan but the wait does really bite. It seems I always seem to have some little difference that I cant find one on line inletted exactly the way I need it. As far as cost I think after bedding and bottom metal the AICS and the Mcree are probably the least expensive if you get and adjustable LOP and cheek piece at least. One thing i did have to have done on my AICS was have the recoil lug slot opened up for the badger recoil lug. I heard they were fixing that on the new ones though. Maybe someone that knows can chime in.
Just my onservations
Rad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you order an AICS stock today you will have it in your hands in about a week. To me thats a huge plus I have gun project a.d.d. real bad and if I have to wait to long I might move on and start something else. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No re-bedding every 3000 or so rounds. </div></div>

Who has to do that with a properly bedded McMillan or Manners?

Only advice is feel an AICS before buying. They don't fit me well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No re-bedding every 3000 or so rounds. </div></div>

Who has to do that with a properly bedded McMillan or Manners?

Only advice is feel an AICS before buying. They don't fit me well. </div></div>

How long until you re-bed?

i dont think they've made the one for savaged yet at all. i guess they're going to

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How long until you re-bed?</div></div>

Never had to yet and my .308 in a McMillan is going on it's 4th barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spoon063</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont think they've made the one for savaged yet at all. i guess they're going to </div></div>
damn.. well thats disappointing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long until you re-bed? </div></div>

We most definitely did not have to re-bed the M40A1 that often. I believe they were re-bedded when they went back for new barrels.

I couldn't see a bedding job wearing out unless the action was pulled every 100 rounds or something got under and ate it..

The AICS stock isnt for everyone. The cheek piece is high, even when as low as it can go and for me, the trigger is far too close to the grip and not comfortable. It is a very robust and well thought out design

Add me to the list of folks who hunt with an AICS. I took mine to Wyoming this year for antelope hunting and I really didn't notice the extra weight (compared to my normal hunting rifle). What I did notice was how easy it was to set up for long shots, how quickly I was able to get the rifle stable and how damn accurate the thing was out in the field (without the benefit of a bench, bags, etc.). As for the thumbhole, I have big fat hands and had the issue with thumb rubbing, but I put a small piece of moleskin along the back of the thumbhole and never thought about it again. I'm actually in the early stages of figuring out a new hunting rifle build featuring a 7-08 in an AICS...

I was stuck here about 6 months ago. I settled on the AICS, and here is why-

1.) Availability (as mentioned above, some have gun OCD and no patience, and this is huge.)

2.) Good, standard magazine

3.) No need for bedding and often times, no need for any fitting either.

I ended up coming to the conclusion that the AICS was the best for me, because of my lack of patience. I ended up buying and AW instead once I came to that conclusion.

After 2100 rounds, here is my conclusion- the ergos don't "fit me like a glove" but they are functional- I can quickly establish my shooting position and sight picture.

If I had all the patience in the world and the ability to try different stocks, I would probably get behind as many Manners and McMillans as possible, as well as an AICS, see which one gives you that "it" feeling, and order up that one.

I have always loved mcmillan stocks but the first time I shot an aics rifle prone, I loved it. The only way I'll go to an mcm is if weight is an issue. My short 2.0 weighs 5.4 lbs without a magazine. My light fill mcm A3 weighs about three with bottom metal and no other options. If you don't like the aics it will be easy to sell for virtually what you paid for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long until you re-bed? </div></div>

We most definitely did not have to re-bed the M40A1 that often. I believe they were re-bedded when they went back for new barrels. </div></div>

How many rounds between barrels?

I just had 6500 rounds on my last barrel and no need to rebed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many rounds between barrels? </div></div>

I believe it was at least 10k, but I don't recall for sure and I have not been able to locate supporting documentation. The M40A1 operators manual does not state what the rebarrel round count is. I don't have the manual the 2112's use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who told you that you have to rebed every 3000 rounds? </div></div>

It has always been my understanding that a bedding job is not a one time process. That all the products, Devcon, Marine-Tex, Acraglas all eventually loosen up from use and need to be at least re skimmed somewhere above 3000 rounds. It has also been my understanding that you don't want to remove a bedded action from the stock regularly unless absolutely necessary. I also had thought this is why the drop in chassis were created, not necessarily to eliminate the need for the initial bedding but rather to eliminate the variable for determining the time for re bedding - meaning systematic repeatability. I can not however point to any scientific data or personal experience to prove or discount this.

Maybe it's different for bolts I don't know. A lot of my information came from the M14 platform.

These issues were however a concern of mine when I choose my stocks, bolt and auto. I did not want to have to wonder if my bedding was starting to loosen up. I've got enough to think about in order to keep the holes where I want them.

It is very interesting to hear that people have 6500+ rounds on a bed job. If that's really the case then it opens up more options for me on my next rifle. Thanks

Remember that most of the bedding on TODAY's rifles are almost the same composition as the stock itself. They are two-part epoxy compounds.

You also cannot compare the bedding in an M1A with a bedded McMillan stock on a bolt gun. My understanding of half the problem on the M1A isn't the bedding, it's the fact that the bedding is supported by WOOD. Wood is susceptible to swelling and is nowhere near as stable as fiberglass/epoxy matrix.

Drop in chassis are beneficial because you do not need to re-bed if you have to change out the action. It is also less prone to damage when you remove the action for maintenance. However....how often are you removing your action from the stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember that most of the bedding on TODAY's rifles are almost the same composition as the stock itself. They are two-part epoxy compounds.

<span style="color: #3366FF">Good point. But I thought the wear/loosening happened between the epoxy and the action not the epoxy and the stock?</span>

You also cannot compare the bedding in an M1A with a bedded McMillan stock on a bolt gun. My understanding of half the problem on the M1A isn't the bedding, it's the fact that the bedding is supported by WOOD. Wood is susceptible to swelling and is nowhere near as stable as fiberglass/epoxy matrix.

<span style="color: #3366FF">That makes sense also. I again was assuming that the issue was between the action and the stock. The wood stocks are a weak link in the bond. But it also it seems to be an issue with the bedding jobs on the USGI Fiberglass as well. I wonder if it has to do with the type of action? I think I will wander over to the M14 Forum and see if I can get any clarification.</span>

Drop in chassis are beneficial because you do not need to re-bed if you have to change out the action. It is also less prone to damage when you remove the action for maintenance. However....how often are you removing your action from the stock? </div></div>

I actually have only removed it once to have some work done. Thanks

All of y'all are making good points that I might not have thought of. Thanks for all of the input. I sure need to get behind one. Right now I'm running HS Precision sendero stocks on my 700's. I have been laying my thumb up the side, not over the top. So, I don't think the thumbhole will give me trouble. I have a BO DBM in my 308's stock and looking to get one for my 223's stock. Which makes me think of another question, do the 223 mags fit in the 308 DBM with different followers and such, or are they the same mags?