• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why the push for a switch barrel rifle?

I've been hoping that number's wrong and with your evidence I might just make the jump to 6.5 early, thanks man.

To reverse the OP question, what are the benefits of having a fixed barrel that could only be serviced by a gun smith if there's switchable barrel options?

I expect my 6mm to be 2k, the 6.5 in a non magnum chambering will be more like 3-4

For benchrest quality accuracy most people go with smithed barrels. Now is that due to tradition? Probably somewhat but I do think that to shoot in the .00xs you need as few links in the chain as possible. For anything else I don’t see the downside. Oh, and people say they are ugly but I disagree. I think of it as just a little more flair.

I've been grabbing a piece of thin cardboard (like cereal box thickness) and wrapping it around the barrel 2-3 times. Works great. In the photo above I'd forgotten to bring cardboard so I think those are old paper targets wrapped around the barrel.

I always have my business card in my wallet so it’s the most handy thing and seems to work just fine. Plus most people have a ton of old cards they’d love to do something with lol

Last edited:
As a seller of switch-barrel setups, I can tell you that there is certainly a demand for more capable and adaptable rifles.

However I do make it a point to try to instruct my customers that the number one mistake I see shooters making is spreading themselves too thin. The time required to support a single rifle in a single chambering is pretty demanding if you are going to take it real seriously. Though some guys just want to shoot and don't take it very seriously and they are content bouncing from one to the next.

The fact that real solid switch barrel setups like Desert Tech are available, means it's an option... and options are good for those that want them.

I'm with you OP, I don't see the allure. I shoot one LR caliber, and spend my time/money on getting good with it.

I have an AW which, coincidentally, until a few years ago used easy barrel changes as one of it's main selling points (compared to the other rifles available at the time). I like as absolutely few variables as possible in a precision rifle, and a big slot machined down my action threads along with the additional bolt/correct torque needed to hold the barrel in isn't an improvement TO ME.

I even took it a step further and bought a dovetail AI because I didn't like that the pic rail wasn't integral to the action - so I'm sure as shit not going to be out there playing Mr Potato Head with my rifle while I'm at the range.

One additional consideration in favor of switch barrel systems. Barrels are consumables for anyone with a fairly decent round count on their normal shooting regiment. Switch barrel really minimizes down time when you need to install a new barrel. With the AI and DTA for example. Get the new barrel, drop in and check zero (usually very minor shift) and I am done other than checking velocity differences between new and old barrel.

As a seller of switch-barrel setups, I can tell you that there is certainly a demand for more capable and adaptable rifles.

However I do make it a point to try to instruct my customers that the number one mistake I see shooters making is spreading themselves too thin. The time required to support a single rifle in a single chambering is pretty demanding if you are going to take it real seriously. Though some guys just want to shoot and don't take it very seriously and they are content bouncing from one to the next.

The fact that real solid switch barrel setups like Desert Tech are available, means it's an option... and options are good for those that want them.

^This, I agree totally and if one can show the patience in shooting a barrel in a caliber on an adaptable rifle until it's spent, they'll be a better shot for it and maximize the value in what's most likely a substantial purchase for the user, I know it was for me anyways... I guess it goes without saying the benefits of maintaining the same upper/receiver + scope combo are huge, that is if the chambering matches between calibers of course.

One high end scope, one high end rifle, one manual of arms, different calibers. Makes it cheaper in the long run. And easier to train on. Plus if you get the itch to try a new caliber you can usually just have a barrel spun up and you're off.

I've got 223 trainer barrel, 308/260/6.5 Creed barrels for comps, 300wm for hunting or long range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. I can afford one $12,000 rig. I can’t afford another one for each cartridge, but I can afford barrels.

Saves room in my safe!
(TL3: 6-Dasher, .223, 6.5-Creed, .308-Win)

I like switch barrel rifles for the ability to just order a new barrel and swap it on without needing to go to a gunsmith or necessarily needing a barrel vise/action wrench. I don't use them for swapping calibers all the time. My AXMC for example I have one main cal I run and then other options for stuff I don't/won't use all the time but want to have the option of. For my shooting 243 does 95% of what I need but if I want to go shoot ELR or use it to hunt something big I can swap on a 300WM, 338L or a list of other cals in a matter of a couple minutes and be ready to rock. Double stack 300 and 338 mags are pretty sweet too.

IMO if you're running a certain round a lot it's probably worth it to have a rifle setup for that as well, all depends on what you can justify spending. That second, third, or forth+ rifle can still be switch barrel too for further utilitarian purposes. Nothing wrong with modularity when it doesn't hinder performance.