• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why the stock you have on your rifle?

PanaDP

Private
Minuteman
What stock do you have on your rifle(s) and <span style="font-style: italic">why</span> did you choose that particular stock? I'm as interested, maybe more, in the "why" as I am the "what".

I'm thinking about restocking a remington I have and was wondering why people like what they like. I don't really have the chance to feel every option in my own hands let alone shoot them all and see what I like.

Re: Why the stock you have on your rifle?

i have a m40 B&C medalist, i got it because i ordered a AICS stock and it didn't fit my hand, i like my long range weapon to be a little heave for stable prone shots, this has big draw backs when shooting standing but i hardly do that.

IMG_0998.jpg

I have a Sharp Shooter Supply stock very similar to Cowboy 1978. My first concern when choosing a stock was the adjustable comb, as I feel proper cheek weld is very important. Second was the vertical grip, for my body mechanics I find it very comfortable. It is a laminate stock and I like the weight and durability of the material. My rifle is a long action Savage with a detachable mag, so stock options in my price range (under $500) were limited. It also came standard with pillars, and wouldn't necessarily need to be bedded. My rifle, like Cowboy's, is difficult to shoot standing because it weighs 15lbs., but I configured it to be shot prone.

I've got an HS Precision vertical grip on my AAC-SD and got it because of the way the grip fit my hand. I need a stock with a pretty big palm swell to get my trigger finger in the correct spot. I was able to find one at a gun show to make sure it fit well. I also got the adjustable cheek piece and length of pull so I could fit the stock to me.

AICS. It manages the recoil very well.

Mine is a bit unconventional. Thought 30-40 years ago it was common.

Its a heavy Bishop Stock strickly for prone shooting with my Model 70 300 Win ( single shot at that). With scope or irons, I'm forced to lay my cheak on the comb, yet keeps my head stright up.

Kind of heavy, with the 29 inch barrel, but I don't have to pack it anywhere except to the firing line.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

Same as cowboy. Very adjustable and the price is not as much as some other brands.
Chris

MCS T4-A on one, MCS T3 on the other. The T4-A is more of a dedicated precision/target rig reserved primarily for the range or matches (or at least that is my intent as I am looking to begin shooting some matches in 2012). It's rock solid, manages recoils well and fits me great. The T3 is my all-around go anywhere do anything stock. It's as comfortable off-hand as it is prone. It's my hunting gun, my truck gun, and my backup match gun if needed.

Both rifle are set up just about identically otherwise.

Why don't you fill out your profile and maybe a member in your area will let you try out their stock.

I like McMillan A3's the best. I've had an HS (off of a stock Remington), HTG, AICS (liked it too a lot), A5, etc.

I think for a lighter, less bulky, great feeling "tactical" stock it's just perfect. Vertical grip, nice sized forend, no but hook, high comb, etc.

Here's my two. Really didn't "need" the adjustable cheek probably, but liked the idea.

3-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't you fill out your profile and maybe a member in your area will let you try out their stock. </div></div>

You're right. I'm going to do that right now.

MCS T4 on my .308 win
XLR Evolution on my .284 win
and my own remolded spin on a B&C A2 on my 6.5 x47 Lapua

Any of y'all have experience with the Mcree stock? More particularly the TMAG? They seem to be in the middle or so of prices, but I don't see nearly as many as the generic Macmillan's.

I have an H&S stock, the varmint/tacitcal stock. It doesnt have the huge palm swell, and for me, that's nice. It's simple, light weight, and does the job. I use my rifle for a lot of things, so its nice to have a simple stock.

Manners T3, or as I am going back to now... the MCS-T!!

Love the fit and feel of the stock. Works great for both target and hunting. Great all around stock, and they are incredibly strong!!

DK

I have loved the HS stocks, especially the heavy fully adjustable one. The return to zero when removing and installing the action and the overall durability and ergonomics of the stock won me over a long time ago. I found the McMillans to be too costly without bringing much more to the table as far as ergonomics went and weight.

Two AICS, I wanted something that has been battle tested, that way you know you are not getting junk. Solid platform and performs flawlessly and simple to maintain.

B&C light tactical A3, low cost, stiffer and more ergonomic to me than the SPS, like the hook for supported shooting, forearm is wide but round enough to be comfortable off hand.

I'm in process of adding a B&C Medalist A5 and bedding it for my Rem 700 SPS-Varmint in .308 Win. I have a friend who is a good gunsmith and his comment in re bedding was "If well done, it cannot make things worse and may well improve them. No stock will perfectly fit an action without some inletting or bedding, in my experience." Now this action was producing groups in the 0.2"-0.5" range with a factory stock and my hand loads and FGMM and 168gr SMKs so I'm not expecting dramatic improvement in accuracy but am hoping for improved consistency across a wide range of weather conditions. Also, I find that, my stocks rarely fit perfectly as to LOP and cheek rest position...I expect the A5 to solve that.

Stay tuned for report.

FH

I've tried so many....AICS (it was ok), HTG, A5, Sentinel (2nd favorite), T4A.

I finally found what fits me best it all situations and that's the MCS-T5A. I know own 3 of them and love them. It's just what works for me and fits me.

PanaDP, sent you a PM.

I have two McMillan A4 stocks, and love them for heavy tactical rifles. I also have a Robar SR90 stock that's been opened up for a different action, that I feel fits better in some ways. For my lighter rifle, I have an HTG.

My .300WM has an XLR chassis on it that I'm starting to love; much prefer it to the AICS that I had a while ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like McMillan A3's the best. I've had an HS (off of a stock Remington), HTG, AICS (liked it too a lot), A5, etc.

I think for a lighter, less bulky, great feeling "tactical" stock it's just perfect. Vertical grip, nice sized forend, no but hook, high comb, etc.

Here's my two. Really didn't "need" the adjustable cheek probably, but liked the idea.

3-1.jpg

</div></div>

KPK, you make my heart hurt! Glad to see the stock go to a good man.

I like different stocks for different applications/barrel contours.

For a heavy build(MTU or such), the McMillan Marksman is a great choice. It has a wide forend and the butt is wider. I also have a MTU contour in an HTG and like it. The barrel is a bit heavy for that stock, but the Marines seemed to do well with that combo.

For varmint wt barrels, hard to beat an HTG. I like the looks and I am an old guy and not so much into the A-series stocks. However, I have 3 McMillan A2's with MTU contour barrels and a Rem Varmint wt. Not a bad way to go, either.

david

McMillan a5. Love the vertical grip. Had an aics liked it at first but quickly found its down falls.

Have an AICS on one rifle and using a McM A5 on another right now.

The AI is mine and fits me well, comfy and like the option of changing stock panels (skins). I have 3 sets......

The McM A5 is for my wifes rifle. Fit and ergos are perfect for her and the it will be carried & shot off hand un-supported at times.

I have used McM HTG & HTG w/adj cheek, McM fully adjustable 40X, and a few different HS stocks (PSS, PSS w/adj LOP, LTR). As an all arounder do it all stock my favorite has to be the McM HTG w/adj cheek.

Just my opinion.

i went with the B&C medalist A3 stock. its great for prone shooting with the slightly vertical grip and the hook, also comfortable off hand shooting as well.

P1160494.jpg

McMillan A3-5, it's very comfortable to me. I like the skinnier forend (compared to the A4, A5, or AICS) but still keeps the butt-hook with adjustable cheekpeice.
2u8feae.jpg

KMW Sentinel

I like it because it's well thought out. I like the way I a able to use my home made poly-pellet bean-bag with it. I like that it has an interchangeable sling mount (for either a Harris or atlas bipod). I like how it has 5 flush cups. I like how it has the adjustable cheek piece. I do like it for more reasons then listed here, but the last reason that I'm going to post is; I like it because when my mother who was Diagnosed with severe case MS gets behind it, she is able to shoot and hit what she is aiming at.

P1030111-1.jpg

McMillan A3's. Narrow forend (easy to grab), lighter in weight than the A5 (we hike with them a lot), vertical grip, NO rear hook as we don't use that feature and the stock has good ergonomics from all positions. I've tried A5 (still have it), HTG (have this on my coyote gun), HSP Win marksman stock, and HSP M24 stock. For our uses, the A3 has what we prefer for competitions as well as hunting in one package.

Geb

I have the folding stock on my AI AW. The folder lets it drop right into a Pelican 1700, which fits in the trunk of my Jetta without having to drop the seats. It also eases storage in our small condo. I didn't consider rifles with fixed stocks during my search. Other than that, I find the stock very comfortable, like the range of adjustments, and folding the stock allows removing the bolt without pulling out the cheekpiece. The Anschutz rail also allows mounting a handstop.

—Andreas

Most of my rifles bear the factory stock. While I have a preference for the Savage (I own three), I also have Winchesters, Remmies, and Rugers.

I have owned McMillan A-3 and A-5 stocks, and found both to be outstanding.

The other stocks are typically 'improved' with glass bedding, and I sometimes experiment with a pressure pad in the barrel channel.

My two newest rifles bear AccuStocks from the factory and don't seem to exhibit any unsatisfactory tendencies.

Any reluctance on my part to restock a rifle stems from limited resources, as well as an enduring belief that most factory rifles shoot danged well just as they are. They may actually often shoot better than their owners can.

I also think that the first resort to enhancement passes through tweaking, and not outright replacement.

Problems may seem easy to fix when there's a large stock of money to throw at them; but there should be no surprise when problems don't care about price tags.

Tweak first, buy second.

Greg

We have a lot of rifles for different applications, so the stocks are chosen for their intended use. if you could tell us what you intend to use the rifle for, we could be more specific.
I like shooting with a stock that balances out the rifle, and adds to proper mounting depending on the intended shooting position. Hard to get it just right.

I use a stock because the reciever resting on my shoulder hurts

I went with the AICS for my Remington 700s. I wanted something simple and proven. Now with the Viperskins, you have even more options if you do not prefer the thumbhole. They also hold their value, so if you decide to go with something else down the road, the loss in value is fairly small.

I just got an off-the-shelf lightweight laminate and made it work. It's wood. I make adjustments/features as needed as I use it. I can add a lot of wood, remove a lot too for the price of the glass and plastic super-adjustable varieties everyone else has. Mine's probably lighter too.

The next project's probably going to be a composite adjustable cheek piece.

Besides the AICS grip fits women's hands better than mine.
laugh.gif

http://i39.tinypic.com/358syhd.jpg

Manners T5A. I have used thumbhole stocks for a lot of years because I find them easy to carry and easy to shoot from most positions. I chose Manners because it fits me better than the alternitive thumb hole stocks.

McMillan A-5 on existing rifle and McMillan A-5 on new rifle being built. I was lucky and before I had the first rifle built I got to try out a dozen or so stocks by various manufactures and types. The A-5 seemed the best for me of what I tried out. I'm very comfortable with it in an egronomic way.

Because it looks wicked...and it's versatile, easily maintained, adjusted and has modular change-ability.

IMG

PC100046.jpg

PC100043.jpg

CSS - RTS tube gun stock, Custom Cerakote Camo:Flat Dark Earth base w/Desert Sage and Patriot Brown air-brushed blotches.
Bartlein bbl., med Palma, 1-8, 26", 6BR
Jewell trigger w/low safety
Versa Pod bipod, SSS Tubb Mod
Vortex PST 4x16, mil-mil, FFP, EBR-1 reticle (so awesome)
Mag Pul, MOE pistol grip
AICS mags-.223 & .308 (mofified to run 6BR cartridges)

I run the McM HTG. No moving parts nothing to worry about, light and effective(No sniper fill). Most of my actual shooting is from the standing using a sling. The bipods are actually used more for setting the rifle down and pictures. I had a A3-5 but the adjustable cheek was always loosening, plus I had no real use for a butthook. I think if you are going to be target shooting or in a stationary position a lot then go for something with a lot of adjustments. If not then go the HTG, MCS-T(A) route.

iva61f.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Defib</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of y'all have experience with the Mcree stock? More particularly the TMAG? They seem to be in the middle or so of prices, but I don't see nearly as many as the generic Macmillan's. </div></div>

I used one of Scott's TMAG folders on my 338LM build and have been very, very happy with it. Scott is also one of the nicest guys to deal with and will walk you through every aspect of what you are trying to do so give him a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run the McM HTG. No moving parts nothing to worry about, light and effective(No sniper fill). Most of my actual shooting is from the standing using a sling. The bipods are actually used more for setting the rifle down and pictures. I had a A3-5 but the adjustable cheek was always loosening, plus I had no real use for a butthook. I think if you are going to be target shooting or in a stationary position a lot then go for something with a lot of adjustments. If not then go the HTG, MCS-T(A) route.

iva61f.jpg
</div></div>

That's a ugly rifle and I LIKE IT! You can see the character in that rifle and you can see that it's been a few places and actually gets used. I always like seeing pics like that.

Nice stick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like McMillan A3's the best. I've had an HS (off of a stock Remington), HTG, AICS (liked it too a lot), A5, etc.

3-1.jpg

</div></div>

KPK, you make my heart hurt! Glad to see the stock go to a good man.
</div></div>

Sorry man! I appreciate the kind words.

I just need to get this thing glued together and get to shooting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run the McM HTG. No moving parts nothing to worry about, light and effective(No sniper fill). Most of my actual shooting is from the standing using a sling. The bipods are actually used more for setting the rifle down and pictures. I had a A3-5 but the adjustable cheek was always loosening, plus I had no real use for a butthook. I think if you are going to be target shooting or in a stationary position a lot then go for something with a lot of adjustments. If not then go the HTG, MCS-T(A) route.

iva61f.jpg
</div></div>

That's a ugly rifle and I LIKE IT! You can see the character in that rifle and you can see that it's been a few places and actually gets used. I always like seeing pics like that.

Nice stick. </div></div>

I agree, makes me want to through my rifles in the dirt! I have an old Remmy 870 camo shotgun, looks worse than that...and I love it too!

McM Sporter...good compromise beween light enough, and some heft, for a short do-all rifle.

0220111521a95247996.jpg

This one is a McM Kevlar Mountain, or at least was when I bought it...believe it, or not. Now it's part of a 14.5 pound rig.

1119111543a95280162.jpg

I have tried 7 different chassis and dozens composites from MCM, Manners, HS, and B&C and kept the best for my applications.
Kinetic Research Group Whiskey-3
Manners T4A
HS Precision vertical grip duplicated in quilted maple with adjustable cheekpiece
McMillan Anschutz Silhouette
These have been the most confortable, durable, and ergonomically correct for me so far.

I have Choate stocks on 3 of my rifles the super sniper for me great stock a bit heavy but good. Then the Ultimate Varminter same thing and their center feed. The sticks are solid no play in the forends they bolt solid into the v blocks. They just work for me.

Love the look of the McM A5. Fits me perfect, i like the palm swell and grip. It's wide forend is great for heavier barrels.

Wilddog Thumbhole Tactical.. Because when I came up with the specs for my build nobody else had a stock that ticked the boxes, ie Adj cheek rest, adj LOP, thumbhole, and not cost 2 kidneys (AICS 1.5 WAS $1700ish AUD back then). Been a great stock, thinking of fitting a SP SRS rail and upgrade to an atlas.

JJ

gutsy.jpg

i shoot a B^C fully adjustable medalist, but I'm upgrading to a mcree precision to have a lighter stock