• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Why use a suppressor?

I shoot better with my can. I find I handle recoil well but the large blast from brakes causes me to flinch. It also allows me to enjoy the time shooting more with less fatigue.

Reactions: Vargmat
This thread certainly has me excited to get my first centerfire can. My TBAC Ultra-9 stamp should be arriving within the next week or two. I've only shot using my .22 Takedown can up to this point and I'm excited to use a centerfire suppressor.

This thread certainly has me excited to get my first centerfire can. My TBAC Ultra-9 stamp should be arriving within the next week or two. I've only shot using my .22 Takedown can up to this point and I'm excited to use a centerfire suppressor.

You're off to a better start than I was! My first one was an SDN6 back when AAC hadn't totally ruined their name yet. Didn't get a .22 can for a while, big mistake. Should have got it first, those .22's are really where it's at! The PPK/S and a Regulator and you're James Bond. Love the integral 10/22 the most of them all. An integral CZ bolt gun would probably be even cooler, quieter but the integral 10/22 is damn quiet. The TBAC 9 is about the best rifle can you can get and certainly the best lightweight one. So you have two fine ones, yessir.

Centerfire cans are cool and they make up most of what I have but I still think of them as tools. I like 'em just long enough so I don't need ear pro or can get away with light ear pro.

But for precision shooting, folks use 'em for various reasons with suppression sort of lower down the list. If I were to use one for F or benchrest, I'd probably use a direct thread and have the can indexed to the rifle, but that's me. I only have one done this way (well, KAC indexes automatically). Makes POI repeatable and vertical; an one click or whatever up and it's back to zero. Just so much nicer to shoot with a can than without. They ought to be standard, like handguards, stocks and bolts.

Shooting with a can is so much more enjoyable. I don't really shoot without one. Nobody that I shoot with uses them though and it bums me out. I'm always like "you need a can, bruh" as I get pelted with noise and dust.

My next match is PNTC Kestrel. I will shoot it suppressed and see if I notice a difference in my fatigue/hearing, and performance as related to health.

I almost have my teammates convinced...but they are all former Jarheads too, and very stubborn about change...just like the Corps! ?

Reactions: culater
Didn't get a .22 can for a while, big mistake. Should have got it first, those .22's are really where it's at!

But for precision shooting, folks use 'em for various reasons with suppression sort of lower down the list. Just so much nicer to shoot with a can than without.
I saw how people talked about their .22 cans getting the most use and figured I wouldn't be any exception. I actually ended up having a custom .22 rifle put together specifically to utilize the 22 Takedown.

As far as the Ultra 9, 7, and 338 I have on order it's different reasons. I personally feel that I am going to shoot better without the concussion of the muzzle blast. I've used an APA Little Bastard and I dislike the concussion that comes with it. I sold a 300WM rifle I had because I didn't trust myself to not develop a flinch with the recoil/concussion (unbraked). Using suppressors on all my rifles will, I believe, allow me to get back into the magnums and larger calibers for hunting purposes. I've even started saving for a Desert tech Covert rifle so I can shoot suppressed all the time even in confined spaces.

I can't begin to tell you how many dudes at a match have told me to take off my can as brakes are the golden standard...
Having fun is my golden standard.
My next match is PNTC Kestrel. I will shoot it suppressed and see if I notice a difference in my fatigue/hearing, and performance as related to health.

I almost have my teammates convinced...but they are all former Jarheads too, and very stubborn about change...just like the Corps! ?
USMC have a lot of suppressors in their inventory.

I saw how people talked about their .22 cans getting the most use and figured I wouldn't be any exception. I actually ended up having a custom .22 rifle put together specifically to utilize the 22 Takedown.

As far as the Ultra 9, 7, and 338 I have on order it's different reasons. I personally feel that I am going to shoot better without the concussion of the muzzle blast. I've used an APA Little Bastard and I dislike the concussion that comes with it. I sold a 300WM rifle I had because I didn't trust myself to not develop a flinch with the recoil/concussion (unbraked). Using suppressors on all my rifles will, I believe, allow me to get back into the magnums and larger calibers for hunting purposes. I've even started saving for a Desert tech Covert rifle so I can shoot suppressed all the time even in confined spaces.

The five inch TBAC can is nice if suppression is paramount, it does away with the brake blast but it's so short and light it's like having nothing on there at all. I SBR's a 10/22 and put it in a folder for the can. Then I built the integral using Kidd parts and the Titan stock. Night and day. That damn thing is fun! I just use the two thread on cans for, well, one PPK/S. And that SBR, but I don't really use it anymore.

The .22 gets used most by people for one reason only: they can shoot it in their yards. If you have to take it to the range all the time, I suppose it wouldn't be used much more than the next or just be dependent on what you have on hand.

When I play with a supressor on, I like having my teammates make lots of noise, peek the enemy and hide again. You're basically undetectable by both vision and hearing and will catch them by surprise more often than not.​

That's funny.

Reactions: 6.5ers
I look at it two ways...1) why have your weapon make more noise than needed? Personally, I already have tinnitus, so anything that allows me to shoot a lot without increasing the ringing in my ears is a plus. I’ll use a suppressor and double ear protection too. It just makes shooting all day a much more pleseant experience.

2) I use a suppressor whenever I can. Why? Because it’s fun lol

Reactions: Sierra770
As an volunteer ROing various matches, I appreciate suppressors since 100 shooters discharging ~10 rounds per stage leave me with ringing ears even with double ear pro (plugs and muffs) when shooters are unsuppressed or worse, braked.

It's pretty much the same with the local matches I participate in. 20 guys all running suppressors means that a day at the range is a lot more enjoyable. That and it's now considered poor etiquette to bring your short-barreled, braked 7mm Rem Mag to the party. You will get a bunch of off-color comments and others will be less welcoming of you and your obnoxious rifle.

Then there's the current state of my hearing versus what it used to be, and what I expect to happen over time. If I'm lucky I'll have another 40 years to enjoy firearms and with my hearing loss/tinnitus not getting any better, I've invested in equipment to prevent any more hearing loss over the coming decades.

As for the "Official" matches, I'm not going to win any "real" competitions, so if there is any negative impact to points scored, I'll accept a few points' loss over my hearing. I'm there to have fun, I don't really care how I score; the total points I accrue is not my performance metric for shooting comps.

Also, while shooting prairie dogs and other varmints, it takes them longer to figure out what's going on when their buddies are popping next to them. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sierra770
Silencer does help obscure your exact position and that's very important. On some weapons (either dealing a lot of damage or shooting very fast) the damage reduction is not really much of a problem, especially if you can land headshots.

At the very least getting silencer on a pistol is a good idea as it doesn't betray when you blow up the camera or Kapkan's/Frost's traps. I find it to be really strong on IQ with her gadget - you can use barricaded windows/floor/roof as cover to kill Pulse or destroy cameras/gadgets without exposing yourself, unlike the other operators.

WTF are you talking about? Did you stumble upon your dads laptop while he was logged into this site?

Silencer does help obscure your exact position and that's very important. On some weapons (either dealing a lot of damage or shooting very fast) the damage reduction is not really much of a problem, especially if you can land headshots.

At the very least getting silencer on a pistol is a good idea as it doesn't betray when you blow up the camera or Kapkan's/Frost's traps. I find it to be really strong on IQ with her gadget - you can use barricaded windows/floor/roof as cover to kill Pulse or destroy cameras/gadgets without exposing yourself, unlike the other operators.
Apparently making a joke about the game Rainbow 6. Never played it. But I've played more than my fair share of MW2!

Ok, my mistake. Never played the game but know about the tinnitus.

The better question is; why not run a suppressor. Unless you're in a place that it isn't legal, I don't see many reasons to not use one. The only rifles I have that are shot suppressed are the collector pieces and my 358win hunting rifle.

I still haven't talked @TBACRAY into building me a 358 Ultra 5...

Suppressors have ruined me. I don’t want to shoot my pistols or shotguns because they aren’t suppressed. It’s very nice when shooting out to a thousand yards to be able to hear impacts. If your state allows suppressors to be used for hunting then there is a major plus. Half the time for me when I’m hunting I forgot to put my hearing protection on before a shot with a suppressor I don’t have that trouble anymore

Reactions: Mooncake
Suppressors have ruined me. I don’t want to shoot my pistols or shotguns because they aren’t suppressed. It’s very nice when shooting out to a thousand yards to be able to hear impacts. If your state allows suppressors to be used for hunting then there is a major plus. Half the time for me when I’m hunting I forgot to put my hearing protection on before a shot with a suppressor I don’t have that trouble anymore

I'm the same way I just bought a threaded barrel for my pistol and a rugged obsidian.

I am considering getting a suppressor. Not in the budget this year but hopefully soon. This is a pic of my poor squad mates proned out next to me while I shot my course of fire with my brake lol.
E8ECE98F-C51E-4852-9877-E6544F47E2E2.jpeg

I run a can on my rifle. Can’t stand to be around others un-suppressed rifles. That said, it use to be (several years ago), the top dogs ran with brakes because it WOULD throw-off the shooter around them. It was sorta gaming. These are guys going for the for the win. Also, with a brake your rifle is shorter and if you are doing a mouse trap, close quarters, or crawling throug something; a shorter rifle has its advantages. I’m not in the upper tier...so, I use a can. I’m down with a suppressed and non-suppressed squad. My ears appreciate it. ?

I hate shooting next to someone with a brake. It’s annoying to be about to break a shot and the guy with a brake next to you breaks his shot first and the percussion throws you off.

Reactions: Vargmat
I also find the recoil impulse with a suppressor more pleasant compared to a brake. Maybe it just has to do with the noise reduction, but the recoil feels spread out longer and a less sharp impact.

I hate shooting next to someone with a brake. It’s annoying to be about to break a shot and the guy with a brake next to you breaks his shot first and the percussion throws you off.

I also find the recoil impulse with a suppressor more pleasant compared to a brake. Maybe it just has to do with the noise reduction, but the recoil feels spread out longer and a less sharp impact.

+1 on both!

I don't even hear it anymore. Suppressed gun shots are normal to me now.

Interesting thread. Kinda discouraging to me as a relative newcomer to this sport. So far I have put my dollars into rifles, optics, and ammo and into entering competitions, finding it hard to justify spending $200 just for the tax stamp plus the cost of the can, then having to wait many months for the "privilege" of being able to take it home and use it. There are too many other pieces of kit I can buy now and use now. I hate to hear that I'm judged so harshly by some because my gun makes too much noise. Reminds me of my early days of clay target competition, when some shooters dissed anyone not carrying a European tubed over/under competition shotgun onto the field.

With that said, I'll more seriously look into how a suppressor fits into my wish list, timing and budget. I learned there is a reason why European (and one American) competition shotguns are preferred by top shooters, and now own two of them.

Interesting thread. Kinda discouraging to me as a relative newcomer to this sport. So far I have put my dollars into rifles, optics, and ammo and into entering competitions, finding it hard to justify spending $200 just for the tax stamp plus the cost of the can, then having to wait many months for the "privilege" of being able to take it home and use it. There are too many other pieces of kit I can buy now and use now. I hate to hear that I'm judged so harshly by some because my gun makes too much noise. Reminds me of my early days of clay target competition, when some shooters dissed anyone not carrying a European tubed over/under competition shotgun onto the field.

With that said, I'll more seriously look into how a suppressor fits into my wish list, timing and budget. I learned there is a reason why European (and one American) competition shotguns are preferred by top shooters, and now own two of them.

Don't be so sensitive it's not that big of deal

Reactions: kthomas

Honestly, it's 100% in jest. Everyone I've shot with have been great people. Everyone prefers to shoot with someone suppressed, but as long as you're courteous and warn everyone before you shoot, you'll have zero issues.

Another option is to make a friend with spare cans and get a matching mount. My shooting partner is always suppressed with me.

Reactions: kthomas
What shooting sport are you guy's primarily talking about here? I ask because I've never been to a match where you're proned out in a line next to others so I've never seen where a brake would bother anyone.

What shooting sport are you guy's primarily talking about here? I ask because I've never been to a match where you're proned out in a line next to others so I've never seen where a brake would bother anyone.

Local matches where you shooting from a tower stage of groups of 8 -10 at multiple known distances or zeroing at the beginning

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 38

Happens often in PRS. It's even worse when your shooting off a concrete pad with a roof over it. I've shot brakes for year and and now going to shoot suppressed primarily. I feel like what I give up in recoil I get back in focus. I now try to squad with more suppressor guys as well.

Alright, I can see how a brake could disrupt someones focus in a line like that.

Honestly, it's 100% in jest. Everyone I've shot with have been great people. Everyone prefers to shoot with someone suppressed, but as long as you're courteous and warn everyone before you shoot, you'll have zero issues.

Another option is to make a friend with spare cans and get a matching mount. My shooting partner is always suppressed with me.
Good, because that's been my experience as well. I heartily agree that brakes on a roofed concrete pad make concentration extremely difficult... closest I've come to that in competition is a covered wooden "deck" about 8 feet off the ground where muzzles were out past the edge. I was so into my game I didn't hear the other people shooting. That would change on a concrete slab at ground level.

Heh. I just got back from LGS where I talked to their "can expert" about best approach for suppressing precision rifles. Conclusion was that I'm looking at about $1000 to get set up right, including tax stamp.

Ok... but on the way out one of the guys showed me a sale price on a rifle I've been drooling over for months. New can in 8-12 months or new rifle tomorrow? Hmmm.

I get the bothering squadmates aspect but I've done plenty of shooting through culverts, under tables, tight to walls etc. and it's never been a problem because I know when the concussion is about to happen. I actually spend a lot of my winter practice time shooting from inside my house out windows and you really do get used to the shockwave.

It's more annoying to the individual shooter than your squad mates.

Lets be real, only ~15-25% of any shooters at any given PRS match (with the exception of the Quiet Riot) are using suppressors. No one is going to bag on you for not having a suppressor, as you will be in the majority.

That said, sometimes on the zeroing line on the range day, the suppressed shooters usually group up together in their own little section on the line. They may not be happy if you get between them and disturb their silence :p

As mentioned above take a look at the PRS videos or pics, more folks shooting brakes than cans. I've never shot a PRS match but I have done the smaller local matches of the same shooting style.

That said I love my can (TBAC 30p-1) and ALWAYS shoot with it. On a 308 I can see a brake outweighing a can for recoil management but any 12ish pound (or heavier) rifle chambered in the 6 / 6.5 neighborhood has such low recoil its a non-issue IMO.

I don't see how ANYONE could possible say they'd rather lay prone next to a brake than a suppressed shooter; it flat out doesn't make sense. Yeah yeah seasoned shooter and the noise and shock of it doesn't bother you...but thats not the same as it not existing at all!

I shoot F TR where no suppressors are allowed, but on the range, on the firing line, its more pleasant to shoot suppressed and to be next to others shooting suppressed. I'm used to be on the line in a match where nothing is suppressed and I like the sound of it actually, but I also appreciate the sound a suppressor makes (or doesn't make).

You may not want to hear this, but you don't get use to loud noises, you actually lose some of your hearing when that happens.

Reactions: Holliday
I love shooting suppressed. Shooting at 1200 yards with the .308 in an open area without ear pro is a plus when the steel barely moves and youre trying to here the “ding”. The TBAC ultra 9 is really quiet! No question I’m a suppressor addict now.

Having said that, I LOVE the sound of “Thunder Spirit” aka “Thor’s Hammer”. Or as my holy roller Grandma used to say “make a loud noise unto the lord” .I refuse to become “girlish” about unsuppressed gunfire. Christ....? I like both and both have their place. Like anything, there are trade-offs. Yea its annoying when I show up at the range and another shooter shows up and unleashes Thor while I’m enjoying a quiet morning of shooting but I accept it and am more glad another shooter is in the field. (Then I try to sell them on a TBAC?)

Having said that I won’t own another heavy caliber lightweight rifle without a brake or suppressor. I don't mind recoil. Kinda like a Whiskey with a bite. But it really calms down the muzzle jumping around. I wear electronic ear pro when hunting unsuppressed, so the extra sound at the shooter is not an issue. That said, aside from the extra length hunting suppressed is really freakin sweet! Sometime though I want to run lighter and shorter......

1. Safety being of primary importance, cans make it easier to hear range commands.
2. Preserving our hearing should be important, use a can and hearing protection.
3. Sound traveling through the skeletal structure can cause hearing damage, use a can.
4. They get hot enough to cook a chicken breast for lunch, use a can.
5. They make an excellent paper weight when scoring targets on a windy day, use a can.
6. Depending on the rifle & barrel they can sometimes improve accuracy, use a can.
7. When you store it in a locked pistol case and forget the combination you can make your wife laugh when you tell her.

Here's the big thing: If the slight edge brakes have in recoil reduction actually make a difference in how well you shoot, you have bigger problems than suppressor vs brake.

Here's the rest in no particular order....

- I'm a double ears guy (foamies and cans) 99% of the time, and I fall into one of these categories so though it might not be hearing safe, if you carry a rifle daily for work (Guide/LEO/Rancher/Military etc) who may have to shoot at a moments notice and not have the time to get ears in, alert your buddy or call the shot it is light years, I mean eons less painful for everyone involved, to take that shot.

- Some _are_ hearing safe, and they are the tits.

- Being able to hear steel at long ranges in high wind

- As already mentioned, courtesy to both yourself and other shooters.

But here's the real trap......and I urge you into it. Get one, there's tons of sub 500 dollar high quality (AAC/SilencerCo/Griffin) rifle cans on sale right now. Just find out for yourself what it is all about, then, while you're waiting on it to get out of ATF jail, go ahead and buy one for every firearm you own because once you shoot suppressed, you're not gonna wanna be swapping it out between platforms. You'll want on every gun, ready to go whenever you are. I'm just trying to watch out for a brother, cause like everyone else in this thread....you will, buy more until you have the whole room covered at which point you begin to purchase suppressors first in anticipation of future firearm purchases.

So I get it if you feel this money pit on a subconscious level and are trying to talk yourself out of a 20k dollar race car because you know you'll dump another 80 in it before the years up, but if you're really trying to justify a brake > suppressor conclusion to the argument.....well....in the famous words of someone funnier than myself, you're just as wrong as two boys fucking.

Reactions: NorthWesterner
Just wondering why many guys use suppressors for competition. I get that they are cool, and in a combat situation they can help make it a little harder to locate where the sound originated. But shooting supersonic, the sound is still loud enough to cause hearing damage so you are going to be wearing protection either way.

It seems to me that in the context of competition a suppressor would be of little value because it does not eliminate the need for hearing protection and a good brake will do better at recoil/muzzle rise reduction. Am I missing something?

It removes concussion from the equation, which even with ear-pro is kinda nice. Especially shooting from inside vehicles, near others inside vehicles, etc.