• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Why Vortex will continue to sell scopes

raptor99

Minuteman
Oct 18, 2005
Pierre SD
Yesterday I had a chance to meet up and talk with a Vortex rep. He was out here in South Dakota on vaction with his family. He contacted one of his dealers in Belle Fourche SD and said he would like to get togeather with some long range shooters to find out what they wanted in longrange scopes.

The guys from the gun shop and Dakota Custom Rifles out of Whitewood SD put on a informal long range shoot and I was fortunate enough to be invited to it. WE shot steel and other targets from 600yds on out to a mile. The Vortex rep took in all we had to say and let us all know that they were a family run outfit out of Wis. and that they were in business to give the shooters what they wanted.

I was very impressed with all the feed back and thought it was really something that he would take a day out of his family vaction to come and talk with us and spend a day shooting with us. We had a ball and burned up a lot of ammo. He had a really nice rifle built by Patrick of Dakota Custom Rifles and shot it pretty damn well too!!

I was disappointed to find out the new HS-T in the MOA won't be out untill Nov. but will patiently wait for it. I think they are a great company and deserve our support. I know I will be buying them in the furture for all of my rifles.

that sounds like a fun day. well, i guess im with you waiting for the HS-T MOA.

I did a lot of reading about the other high end scopes out there before I ordered my new Razor. Also had sent my PST in for some lenses cleaning and had it back in a week...cleaned, checked over and ready to go. I think that there are a lot of very fine optics out there. Some, I'm sure, even out perform the Vortex but the stories I kept reading were guys that broke something or something needed fixed so they sent their scopes back to the manufacturer and waited...Most guys buy the high end scopes so they don't ever have to send them in but then the unthinkable happens and they have to miss a whole season of shooting while waiting for their scope to get repaired. I hope i'm as happy with my new Razor as I was with the PST.

Thanks for the news.

I will be onboard with the new HS-T for my wife's hunting rifle, as well as my rifle. The MRAD is fine for hunting, and I am all giddy thinkin about them. I would love to have a Razor for my LRP, but I can do without the illumination and save a few bucks. So the 6-24PST will serve the purpose for that role right now. We will see what sort of new "goodies" these guys come up with for us, they listen!!

DK

I was one of the lucky ones to be at this informal shoot with Raptor (being his son-in-law has it's perks) and we had a great time and a fun day of shooting. I would like to thank Toms wife for letting him take time out of his vacation and come play with us for a day... That's a good woman there... Tom is the accounts manager for Vortex and he took the time to talk to us about there new line of HS-T scopes and there other products as well and had a genuine interest in our input. They are a veteran/family owned business and the quality and service of there product stands alone and their account managers shoot pretty dammed well also.. I have 2 PST's and will be waiting patiently for the new HS-T in MOA. I think this will fill the needs of both the hunter and the long range shooter and at a reasonable price. Thank you Bill and Tom at the Buckstop in Belle Fourche SD, Patrick at Dakota Custom Rifles in Whitewood SD, and Tom from Vortex for a great day of shooting.. Raptor ( the old dog) Thanks for schooling us pups again. I will have to say that the 284 win. held it's own quite well though.. What a rifle, and hard to beat with a Vortex on it....

Vortex Optics... is a culture, a philosophy, a values-based company, a nice blend of blue-collar and white-collar thinking and action....a growing slice of Americana...selling them is one of the great calls I made early in my career.

Scott

Mr284 is way to modest on the schooling, he is the one doing that. "I used to hear his footsteps now I see his dust" . You have come a long way "Grasshopper".

Two companies I deal with now, NF and Vortex. I have the Razor and PST 4-16 and both are excellent. I had one problem with the PST and was afraid I may have voided the warranty by painting it. Called in and there was no problem at all. Hell I think I could have used it to hammer a nail and still had a repair/replacement.

Sully

I'm about to be up to 3 Razors. Did they mention any plans for a 4-16 or 3-12 Razor? The 5-20 is a little on the heavy side for hunting.

I spoke with a Vortex rep at the NRA convention 2yrs ago. He actually cared what I had to say, acted like he wanted to be there, and gave me a few shirts and hats simply because I said I own 2 PSTs. I haven't run across an employee yet that hasn't been helpful. It's sad that the new normal with most companies is that most of the employees don't have any knowledge in the product they sell. Whoever that guy was in the booth in St Louis sold a couple more PSTs, a Viper HD spotting scope, and binoculars in the near future.

I've talked with Tom several times over the last few months, and eventually ordered a PST after our conversations. Great guy, great company, and when I received my scope and had to turn around and send it back due to a loose fit eyepiece, they had it back to me with a clean bill of health in a week and a half (and that was only because of the ground shipping). And that included calling me and letting me know what was going on. I like S&B and Nighforce, but Vortex has earned my business for the time being for sure.

To add to Vortex's EXCELLENT CS rep..... I recently purchased a 1-4PST used for a deal I couldn't pass up. After looking at it closer I found the illumination wasn't very visible below "5". I printed out the form from Vortex's site and sent it back on a Friday (from PA to Wisc).
The following Monday I had an email saying the scope was on its way back to me. Wednesday I had scope in hand packed with more than just a sponge (See optics thread about sb shipping) and the letter explaining the switch to a new chip. Illum works great NOW if I could just get swfa to send me my *bad word* mount I'd be a happy camper with a new scope mounted an sending rounds down range.

I've bought two sets of there binos. Great optics for the price. I did have a complaint with the feel of the focuse knob on one set. One call and they sent me a replacement so I could make a hunt before I even sent the problem set back. I met a bunch of the guys at the NRA Convention in St. Louis a few years back and they were real hospitable.

I have 3 viper pst models and one of them had elevation turret problems. I filled out the form,sent it to them on a monday and had a brand new scope by friday. I dont care what anyone says you cant beat that. My next one will be a razor.

I fust got my first vortex and i love it. I plan on selling some of my other optics and going with some more vortex scopes. I thanks the guys here on the forum for recommending them.

I bought my first Viper due to readings on this site. I came here to learn all I can about long distance precision shooting.
I recently had an opportunity to compare it side by side with a NightForce scope. The NightForce was nice but not three times as nice and the NightForce owner was impressed with the glass on the Viper. I paid $599 for a PST 4x16 SFP an open box buy at Camera Land with free shipping.
Can't beat that with a stick.

Really wish they would ditch the BDC reticles and add a higher mag crossfire II scope for my rimfire bench rest guns. A 1-6pst would be great too. The razor line needs to go on a diet. They're just too dang heavy for a rifle that gets hauled around IMO. I own 5 of their scopes currently and intend on adding a few more. They also need to add the XLR reticle to the pst line. I like illumination on my hunting scopes since the pigs like to hide at dawn and dusk.

I ordered a 4x16 viper pst based largely on the recommendations on this forum - my first "long range" scope and first reticle that wasn't a duplex I think, as shooting beyond 250 is new to me and never had the need for an MOA or MRAD reticle before - been loving the viper, and the choice to go vortex was just so LOGICAL - great turret tracking back to zero, very good glass, and proving to be a beast on the durability front so far... best bang for the buck without going into the real high end market, which is still aways off for me.

Will definitely be buying more in the future!

They do have excellent customer service. I called in for more spacers for the zero-stop and the items requested were sent in 2 days at no charge.

It just keeps getting better and better. My soninlaw called the other day to say that he was notifed by the boys at the Buckstop in Belle Fouche SD that Vortex was sending out one of the new Viper HS-Ts in the mil configuration for us to try out and see what we thought of it. Tom said he knew we were wanting the MOA scopes but wanted us to try out the mil scope to see what we thought about the HS-T line. He then thanked "Us" for accomadating him while he took time out of "His" vacation to meet with us!! If anyone ever had doubts about a Vortex scope I would think things like this would sure push you to them!! Glad to have been introduced to them and will continue to support them in anyway I can!!