• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

why wont factory remington shoot tight groups?

JByrd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2010
north ga,usa,
just kiddin,they will!, my bud cpt.creedmoor shot this outa factory 243 remmy today in non bedded stock.this was done in wind that was pushin 300wm/208 .4mils @770
photobucket-4005-1317599558674.jpg

Re: why wont factory remington shoot tight groups?

I must be lucky, the last 4 700's I've had, have shot well under MOA.

I've had them that shot factor ok then had to work on finding a load. I've had them shoot factory extremely well. for example my current PSS. If I can hold the gun, it will print .75" CTC or better at 200. Unfortunately, it's me behind the gun

At 600 yesterday, if I did my part I was doing 4" or better...one was around 2.25" 3 shot

I think with Rem's you either get a shooter or you don't, very little in between.

My 700p .308 started life around 2 moa. I tried every bullet and scope I could think of. Changed bases twice, and rings too! I called them and asked if this rifle had a garantee and they told me to send it in. They found that they had miscut the rifling. They replaced everything on the gun except the stock. Now it shoots 1/2 moa regularly. It took them a long time to get it back to me, but it was well worth the wait. I could not be more pleased with it.

I've got three and all three shoot very well right out of the box.

My .22-250 is pretty picky about loads, but feed her something she likes and if I miss it's clearly my fault. Originally came with a wood stock, which has been replaced, but that is the only thing I've changed so far. Shoots 3/4" moa out to three hundred yards, probably much further, but I don't have a range to verify that.

.264 win mag and .308 AAC-SD are both well under moa. Both have printed several groups that made me wonder if a much better marksman was behind the rifle. .264 win mag has killed several hogs at well over 300 yards. .308 hasn't finished load development, but my amax testing indicates about .6" is average at 100.