• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Why you DON'T like Sig.

zjmccauley

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2014
Colorado
So i'm a sig fanboy who started the "Why you DON'T like Glock" forum, so it only seems fair to hear the other fanboys rip on us sig gay-boys.
I preach sig, but they're not perfect either.

Dislikes of Sig:

-Having to pay for SRT when it should come standard.
-That my wife won't talk to me the rest of the day when I tell her I want to spend another $900 on a new one because I HAVE to have it.
-Availability of parts isn't as common as other popular brands.

Tell me what you all think!

They break..
Gun sits too high in the hand
they rust
dont care for shift in trigger pulls

However they are accurate

Flame suit on

The controls are not what I call "lefty friendly". That's my only complaint. Well, the prices are a bit high. Other than that, Sig seems to make top shelf gear.

- The placement of the slide release makes it impossible for anyone with a high grip to lock the slide back on empty reliably. I would never trust the 226 I had in a gunfight due to this.

- Price. If these were still all Made in Germany imports I could somewhat understand the price/costs.

- Shit that should be standard is an extra.

- The fact that they like to fuck with useless dimensions on some of their handguns at random times that now make it impossible to find a holster that correctly fits them and let no-one know the change was made. They did this with the 226 and some others, where after a certain serial number stupid shit like the trigger guard is a different dimension that now makes any Safariland or high-end holsters not work with your handgun. That kind of stupidity makes me glad I switched to an M&P.

Last edited:
I love my sig, just wish they were cheaper. I only own a 226 and would buy more but it's hard not to go glock when they are half the price and tons of aftermarket parts everywhere.

Posted via Tapatalk HD for iPad

1. DA/SA

2. Slide won't consistently or reliably lock back for ME if using a thumbs forward grip. At least this has been my experience with the three I've owned. But as soon as I switched to a thumb over thumb grip, no problems at all with slide lock. Never had this issue with Glock or any 1911.

Last edited:
- The placement of the slide release makes it impossible for anyone with a high grip to lock the slide back on empty reliably. I would never trust the 226 I had in a gunfight due to this.

- The fact that they like to fuck with useless dimensions on some of their handguns at random times that now make it impossible to find a holster that correctly fits them and let no-one know the change was made. They did this with the 226 and some others, where after a certain serial number stupid shit like the trigger guard is a different dimension that now makes any Safariland or high-end holsters not work with your handgun. That kind of stupidity makes me glad I switched to an M&P.

I agree with the change in dimensions, serious pain in the ass when you dont see it coming. I've had a p220 stainless, plane jane 226, 226mk25 and 220 combat, the combat and mk25 have [oh so slightly] different dimensions that effect what holsters they will fit, which caused me to have to shuck 80 bucks extra out for a holster. But if I recall correctly, the combat was made on a request for a military contract and the mk25 for seals, so the military specs are different than commercially sold sig handguns.

1. DA/SA

2. Slide won't lock back if using a thumbs forward grip. At least this has been my experience with the three I've owned. But as soon as I switched to a thumb over thumb grip, no problems at all with slide lock. Never had this issue with Glock or any 1911.

DA/SA is a preference opposed to a flaw, but ive had issues with your #2 as well

I really like my p227 full size , just waiting on the g10 grips that will be available in a month or two , and really want the pspit trigger from Gray Guns . I think one of the writers that was at Sig last week ,at their media get together , said Sig was thinking to add the trigger enhancement as a standard item on future Sigs . Can't recall this very moment . Also next year a full stainless p227 was a strong possibility . As for as the others 1911's , xd's , 92's , maybe some more in there over the years ,I did'nt find really any duds except for a Ruger p85 it was really bad , could'nt hit a thing with it unless you threw at what you wanted to hit, not sure if it would then. but I really like my 227, Also,almost forgot, Sigs going to bring back the p225 in all stainless steel .

The heavy DA trigger pull, my thumb rests on the slide stop, the price they charge for mags that say sig, the new short triggers pinch my finger, high bore axis, spotty quality control for a period, price of admission (might as well get an HK), the 20 or so different variations of each model they do (do we really need a new model just because of a different cerakote color?), the diamond plate edition speaks for itself, and the sig p250...

i love my sigs. i really do. but the stupid slide lock/release prevents me from the last round staying on slide lock. i use a high, thumbs forward grip. if i use the thumb over thumb, i am not as accurate and follow up shots suffer. the DA/SA didn't bother me.

i switched to glock. but my heart will always be with sigs.

I am not a fan of how high they sit in my hand. Solid guns. Think if they were a couple hundred less I would own one or two. A little pricey for what they are in my own opinion.

To be fair I have my complaints about glock, M&P, and H&k too.

I assume you are referring to center fire handguns so my biggest complaint is the location of the slide lock. I think they are excellent pistols, just not any better than the $500 Tupperware. Probably not as durable.
I've owned three sigs. Mosquito, which was junk, a 226 that was fine, not great, and the P238. Wish I still owned the P238.

Honestly the best shooting carry gun I've ever had was a 239. Their cost is supposed substantial compared to other brands but other than that I've never had a problem with them.

Stupid slide release! I can't run a proper grip without my thumb sitting on it and stopping it from locking to the rear on an empty mag. Luckly With enough practice, I have been able to adapt.

Seems to me, to always be the big issue with Sigs.

I like some sigs:)
This one is my favorite but i like P210 to:)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405597816.474488.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1405597867.843510.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1405597888.480202.jpg

For me, it's mostly price. That said, I get it... they're high quality pieces.

Oh, and in the world of 1911s, the Sig sure looks to be a LOT of gun for the money.

Bore way too high over grip

Idiotic location of slide release, which always gets tripped by my high grip. I'm not going to learn a grip for SIGs and one that works on everything else.

Trigger reach way too long

Too expensive for what you get. I'd rather have a CZ 75, P-01, P-07, or P-09 over any SIG.

I have sig 210 and x5 level 1 and love them. The 226 is a great pistol I can deal with the controls. What I don't like is the marketing they.
1. All the gimmick special editions (sig and kimber both) they slap a different color set of grips and or a extra logo( blackwater, NRA, Mia-pow) charge an extra 10-15% with no
Performance improvements damn at least do a trigger job.
2. Some poor bastards pays 900 for a 226 the next month sig release a bunch of the red box recons that are 200 cheaper.

Sig makes a very high quality gun. Very high.

But, they feel very top heavy to me and fit high in the hand with a high bore center.

My grip disables the slide lockback feature.

Price too high ,Too heavy, They do nothing my Glock can't do. Too many parts. Do not fit my hand

High Bore-Axis, Slide Stop Release, Heavy, Overly Expensive, DA/SA, and Poor QC, to name a few, in no particular order.

Sig pistols are plenty reliable, and accurate enough to be well liked. When I instructed pistol, every malfunction on a Sig pistol was quickly be traced back to lack of normal cleaning, lubrication, and maintenance.

I just don't like the double/single action trigger mechanism. I readily admit is it mere personal preference. There are other pistols I would prefer to spend my money on.

Sig USA and their ability to ruin the name by branding chicom optics, the P250, diamond plate finished firearms, and unreliable QC

Suppose to smoke a cig (sig) not shoot one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P220 = Poor accuracy, poor recoil, poor capacity. However, it does go BANG every time....To me, not much difference between Glock and Sig, accept for hammer vs. striker / trigger....

FNX45 = VERY accurate, great recoil characteristics, great capacity. It also goes BANG every time.

1911 = Well, ya know.....

price is too high, spare mags are too expensive and hard to come by (compared to others) sits a bit too high in the hand.
I have 3 and won't trade them anytime soon.

Bore axis and cost.

I don't mind DA/SA (anxious to try out the P320 though). Its a metal framed pistol, its going to be heavier than plastic = duh. Trigger is much better than my old Beretta. Decocker and slide lock took some adjustment but thats a training issue.

Just when I was dead set on a P226 you start this thread and having me second guess myself. I wanted to try something other than a 1911 and wasn't wanting a polymer gun.

I dont like the bore axis and trigger pull/reset. I have owned a few of them and sold them all. Ive had a couple 220, 226, 228, 229 and 210s. Only one I regret selling is the 210 but I had to b/c of the hammer bite. Now I have Glocks and I shoot them better so Im happy with that.

I was issued a P220 a long time ago, and carried it for years. Below was my list of bitches.

-The finish is made of compressed rust I believe.
-They're way overpriced
-The mags split at the back (original sig - we switched to an aftermarket that were better)
-DA/SA trigger wasn't great in either capacity
-I had all kinds of parts break
-One of the least reliable pistols I ever owned - the armorers replaced and awful lot of parts before the frame cracked, and it was replaced by an equally unreliable pistol
-The pistol seemed overly flippy (high bore height) compared to other pistols of the same caliber
-Mags were too expensive
-At the time, no option for light mounting

I don't know if they're better now - but I lost my taste for them. They were accurate pistols, though.

As others have said, DA/SA is an issue for me, as is the slide lock placement. I carried an M9 for too long to have any love for DA/SA pistols. Take your pick, DA or SA, but for god's sake, when you have a choice, take one or the other. Both is far less than ideal. SRT should be the standard, and the trigger reach is a little long for me.

Sig makes a good gun, but at the price point, it's overpriced. The one thing I will say is that the Sigs I've had have been very accurate and reliable. I still have a Sig 2340 in my safe and I'll never let go of it. Fantastic, lightweight, accurate little pistol that I don't care if it gets bumped around a bit.

Once again, bore too high over grip, slide lock location, long ass DA creep (understood that that is a part of the mechanism, but it's still too long, as it can cause SA trigger control to suffer), rusting, and I will add to the mix the assembly of the P226. The mag release can be a pain in the ass if you screw up the reinstall (not that hard to do) and the reassembly isn't super easy (trigger bar/trigger, decocking plate, mainspring strut, etc.) The slide lock is pretty bad for a combat gun, I have a friend going through SQT right now who uses my MK25 to practice a lot, and when the slide failed to lock back the first time he relayed their instruction that the gun just sometimes does that, and to just TRB and be done with it. Granted this can happen with old magazines and weak springs, as the 9mm case is tapered and can cause the round to nosedive if the mag spring is old and weak, but this is on a newer gun. As soon as I showed him how grip can cause this and to change up your grip slightly to clear the slide lock the problem went away for him. Maybe he just didn't absorb that part of the instruction, but if what he said is the case, it's a little disturbing that they don't check the grip of everyone to make sure they aren't inducing FTFs unnecessarily, especially if they're going to rely on that pistol. I really wish I could mash the weight and balance of a P226 and the trigger of a 1911 into a Glock. That would just about do it for me.

Last edited:
I'm a huge SIG fan-boy, but all is not roses.

I agree that the slide lock is in bad spot for most people, me included. However, since I don't really care for DA/SA and mostly buy SAO versions, the slide lock problem is solved. When your thumb is riding the safety (1911-style), it can't interfere with the slide lock. Unless maybe you have gorilla thumbs....

Same here on the high thumbs forward grip and the slide not locking back I have owned and do owned several Sigs but don't carry them because of this and weight.

High bore axis and heavy slides means ALMOST NO ONE uses SIGs in USPSA competition. Decocker is also in a bad place.

Which is sad. SIGs are the gun I learned to shoot on. Now I just shoot Glocks and 1911s.

I am a fan they just require practice for DA/SA. I wore the FDE Cerakotee off my 226 practicing

My P226X5 L-1 is a Tac Driver even with my avg. pistol skills

+1 on tall slide & high bore axis.

With the slide lock/release in the location that they are in, I'm not too fond of having to roll my thumb off the frame and onto my opposite thumb to prevent overriding the slide lock.

To counter, I have been known to override my Glocks, 1911s & Beretta 92/M9s I have shot in the past. -__-

Double/Single Hammer Fired Guns are truly not complicated to know,shoot, & work. I just prefer the aftermarket & maintenance of Striker Polymer guns.

I would also mention--I had one customer service experience with SIG and it was not good. That is a sample size of 1, so take it for what it's worth.

same problem i have with H&K...

1)you pay for the name...and not much else
2)why is it so heavy?
3) and this is the biggest reason of all.....WHY DID SIG AND H&k MODEL THERE SLIDES AFTER A SIZE 14 SHOE BOX?!!?

i own several sigs, and H&K's and like them...but i will never recommend either..

bench

DA/SA

High bore axis

they rust

trigger reach too long with stock trigger

grip too wide for my hand

DAK is too long, too heavy, and not the same trigger pull every time even if close

My only complaint with the handful of sig's I have shot over the years would be with the location of the slide release and my grip. Every one has let the slide slip over the stop... and I refuse to change my grip, so they are not for me. Otherwise they are nice handguns in all regards.