• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up WI shooters... Anybody?

Re: WI shooters... Anybody?

Are you part of the RCLRC?.....and if you are I'm in! shooting .308 and 7.62*54r and of course plinking!....PM me

thanks!

Im in Winneconne, Id like to go up to Shocton to shoot at 500yd soon.

From about 20 miles east of Madison here right off 94. Shoot at Deerfield R&G. Unfortunately only 100 yards available there. And not willing to pay up the $400 a year up near Lodi for 1k. Just getting into long range shooting. Built a 700 SPS in .308, and also reloading. Should have my initial loads ready within the week, waiting on some powder. Have a new/first daughter on the way at the end of the month too, so would love to have some guys to get together with so I can "step away" every once in a while.

A bunch of us from the central WI area shoot cold bores and groupers with ranges in the 500, 600 and 880 yards mainly in the spring and fall. Marshfield,WI area

Also a few of us have made a couple trips out to Thunder Valley this year already.

Always looking for great places to shoot

oneshot.onehit

Hey guy's I'm new to the Sheboygan area and looking for a place to shoot. It would be nice to find a 500 yard range to shoot at. I'm not opposed to driving a little bit on the weekends. I'm used to shooting on the west side of the state where fields and ranges are plentiful. Seems they are a bit harder to come by on the east side of WI. Any one that wants to go shooting sometime let me know, I'm in.

I'll be on the 300 at McMiller this Sunday. That is on Cty NN south of Eagle for those close. Opens at 09:00 and closes at 17:00.

South of Madison but spend a lot of weekends in the Black River/Hatfield area. New to long range, look forward to the shooting with oneshot.onhit later this month near Marshfield.

Hello,

There will be a Full Bore Match at at the Gopher Rifle and Revolver Club in Harris, MN this October 9. While the NRA only recognizes sling shooters using iron sights in a Full Bore Match. I talked with Kurt Borlaug, match director and HP chair at GRRC and he said he would be happy to have F-class shooters in the match. The FB rules from the NRA make allowances for F-class shooters in a FB match and the equipment allowed and targets are the same as any other F-class match. Since the NRA has no F-class classification in Full Bore matches that F-class shooters would not be shooting in an NRA-recorded match but it would be fun to get together for one more competition before Winter.

Note chamber flags are required as a visual aid allowing the RSO to look down the line and see all guns are chamber clear with bolts open.
The match bulletin is at http://mrra.org/downloads/grrc/Fullbore_2011.pdf

The Course of fire is
300 yards; Two sighters and 15 shots for record on MR63 target.
600 yards; Two sighters and 15 shots for record on MR1 target
800 yards; Up to five sighters and 15 shots for record on LR target.
1,000 yards; Up to five sighters and 15 shots for record on LR target.

The course of fire is interesting and gives all of us a chance to shoot in midrange and longrange in one day which is unique and should be fun. The showing amongst F-class shooters at the matches at Harris have been much lower this year than last and I would really like to see a good turnout so if you can make it great, and please pass this email along to any shooters F-class or sling, the more shooters we have regardless of sub-discipline the better.

The match bulletin which has the times and all other important information. Given we will not report the F-class scores to the NRA we will not have to submit money for each F-class shooter. I forget what the NRA cost is, but it will be deducted from the match fee the day of the match. Do not register ahead of time if you plan on shooting F-class as I will collect the F-class registrations and money the day of the match.

Like I said please pass this on to other shooters and get a bunch of folks out for a good day of shooting and friendly competition.

Thanks

wade

Me and a few guys from work plan on joining the Ripon gun club at the beginning of 2012. Year membership is $50 and they have 600 yard range w/ 600 yard shoots scheduled about once a month. That is about the longest range I have found and closest to my loation. You can check out their website and they have a calendar showing all of thier shoots throughout the year. www.ripongunclub.com

Hi,
New to the forum, but I've been lurking for a while. I wasn't quite sure where the first/intro post should go. I live in Middleton but go to school at UW Platteville as a criminal justice major.I always enjoyed shooting in scouts and with friends and am taking an active interest in LR shooting because it makes me smile when I can hit something I can barely see. I have no military or police experience...yet, although I do work for the Platteville police department as a community service officer. Right now I'm running a marlin 925 with a newly added BSA FFP Tactical and DIP 25MOA rail for a rimfire, a doublestar 20" AR, and an M1 garand. I have plenty of other guns but I shoot these the most. Finally became a member on the forum so I could take part in this massive share of information as well as the online training. So far I do most of my shooting at the free range at yellowstone state park. Its limited to 100yds but makes for excellent practice.

I'm do East of you. Going to school for the same thing at Blackhawk Tech Janesville. I'm about done. I have filed out the paperwork for the academy for the spring. Just waiting for my transcripts to turn my packet in. How's Platteville? I hear they have a good program out that way. I'm keeping an eye open for opportunities for work in the area currently. All I really need is just a part time job to make ends meet right away. I have no bills really since I am a vet and things are covered. I'd like full time, but I'd also like to continue on with school. Platteville is a consideration as is just staying where I am, and going through Upper Iowa there at Blackhawk.
Anyway good luck to you. Welcome to the forum.

So far I really like Platteville. We have a lot of professors who have spent a majority of their adult life working in the fields they teach about and it really shows when you get into the upper level courses. Unfortunately the CJ department has lost like three awesome professors to either retirement or other opportunities. I'm trying to be done in 3.5 years, but my german courses for a minor are really kicking my ass so it will most likely take me the full four. Do you know what you want to get into; federal, local, corrections, law enforcement, forensics?

Kaput, when I was at UW-P freshman year, in glenview, known as the SPEW then, there was a soft serve ice cream machine. on it, a note was placed reading "warning to you freshman girls, this machine is known to give the condition known as tank ass. Stay away" what hall you in?

Haha, thats great. Pretty sure they upgraded to newer soft serve machines. I was in Porter hall for my first two years and now I'm in a super drafty old house(1891)on bayley ave just off of pine. Did they still have the bowling alley in the basement of the student center when you were here?

kaput, its only been 7 years since i was there. so im sure a lot is the same. i was there however when the student center did have their micro brewery. you could use your meal card to get beer then.

It seems that everybody I've met that went to Platteville has a story about something awesome that the school no longer has.

Is anyone a current memeber at the Ripon Gun Club ? I'm going to be attending the annual membership meeting on Jan 9th 2012 at 7PM to turn in my membership papers and fees with a few co-workers. I want to get into their 600 yd comps next spring/summer. Parallax, I see you were going to try to get therer to shoot..?

I almost forgot! This past weekend I stopped in at the gun show in Fond Du Lac at the expo center and found my first build rifle. Remington 700 .308 w/ 26" heavy barrel with HS stock Left Handed! Can you believe that? LH! I almost had to go change my drawers. Never did I think I would come across one and such a decent price. Can't wait to get my bolt back from having a tactical knob installed so I can shoot this thing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khall540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I almost forgot! This past weekend I stopped in at the gun show in Fond Du Lac at the expo center and found my first build rifle. Remington 700 .308 w/ 26" heavy barrel with HS stock Left Handed! Can you believe that? LH! I almost had to go change my drawers. Never did I think I would come across one and such a decent price. Can't wait to get my bolt back from having a tactical knob installed so I can shoot this thing! </div></div>

Not bad! I just bought a rifle used from Accurate Ordnance on the forum here. I'm excited about that. It's a 6.5x47 Lapua I believe.

My brother did all the ballistic research- I just bought the gun. Apparently it shoots at the cost of .308 with ballistics more like a .300win mag.

I'm pretty excited but won't see it for a bit either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khall540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone a current memeber at the Ripon Gun Club ? I'm going to be attending the annual membership meeting on Jan 9th 2012 at 7PM to turn in my membership papers and fees with a few co-workers. I want to get into their 600 yd comps next spring/summer. Parallax, I see you were going to try to get therer to shoot..? </div></div>

Just Mapquested the Ripon club, appears to be 1 hour and 50 minutes from my house in delafield. Not horrible... but does anyone know of a closer area to shoot LR? Closer to Oconomowoc/Delafield Area?

Also does anyone know if they have steel at the 600 yard range? If not do they mind if you bring steel?

Ripon has one beat up steel target that you can shoot from the 600 yard line. I asked about bringing your own steel target and was told it wouldn't be a problem, so long as the steel was targeted at an appropriate range and with appropriate backstop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JustForFun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ripon has one beat up steel target that you can shoot from the 600 yard line. I asked about bringing your own steel target and was told it wouldn't be a problem, so long as the steel was targeted at an appropriate range and with appropriate backstop. </div></div>

What does that mean exactly... Id like to shoot at a place where I can move steel from 100-x yards. Does it have to go at 600? or can you move it around wherever basically?

I bought one of those ar500 square sets and Id like to set up stuff at different ranges.

Thanks for your response.

They would have concerns if you were shooting steel at less than 100 yards. They have also had issues with people shooting up storage trailers and other "non target" items there, hence the "appropriate backstop". If you set up steel at the 600 yard target area, you can shoot at it from a variety of distances, there are usually benches set up at 200 yards, 300 yards and the 600 yard line. You end up shooting at a slight angle, because the path from the 600 yard line to the targets goes over some pretty marshy land, and most of the shorter shooting positions are from the side of the road that runs down to the 100 yard range and the 600 yard targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JustForFun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They would have concerns if you were shooting steel at less than 100 yards. They have also had issues with people shooting up storage trailers and other "non target" items there, hence the "appropriate backstop". If you set up steel at the 600 yard target area, you can shoot at it from a variety of distances, there are usually benches set up at 200 yards, 300 yards and the 600 yard line. You end up shooting at a slight angle, because the path from the 600 yard line to the targets goes over some pretty marshy land, and most of the shorter shooting positions are from the side of the road that runs down to the 100 yard range and the 600 yard targets. </div></div>

i guess id have to take a look at it. But thanks for the info. I'll deff consider them as a club. It might be worth the 2 hour drive.

unfortunately there's just nothing around waukesha count of any real distance.

Awesome info about the range in Ripon. I was wondering myself if they had steel target or would allow you to bring your own. A buddy and I are looking in going in together on a steel target and stand from bobcat steel targets. Thanks again for the info!

New to the Hide and I'm from Oshkosh.
What's up, guys?
smile.gif

Good stuff here guy's! I'm new to Sheboygan and places to get some distance are few and far between around here. I stopped up at the Shiocton range.Very nice range 600 yards deep self policed, take the targets you want to shoot and clean up the mess when you are done. That's one option. Kahll I will try to make it to the ripon range Jan 9th to sign up. Ripon is a lot closer than Lodi for week night shooting during the summer months.

For those in south central WI near Madison, the Columbus Sportsman's Association in Columbus, WI just added a 600 yard range to facility. I haven't seen it yet so I can't speak to it's quality.