• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wich 22lr to practice?

gknittel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Wich one would you choose for shooting up to 300m?

CZ 452 Varmint .22LR
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Marlin Varmint .22LR
Savage MarkII .22LR

Thanks for your commments..

Re: wich 22lr to practice?

1. CZ 452 Varmint
2. Savage MarkII
3. Marlin Varmint
4. Ruger 10/22
But 300 yds. will be pushing the limits on any of them.

+1 for Hillbillee except I would put the Ruger 10/22 ahead of the Marlin. If you swap out the barrel and headspace the 10/22 properly, it should be more accurate than the Marlin. But then you have put some money into it.

It depends on what you are practicing for. If you have a center fire and you are practicing marksmanship in order to shoot your center fire better, than pick one that resembles your center fire rig the closest. If you are just trying to practice shooting in general, I'd recommend the cheapest bolt action you can get. You won't rapid fire so much and you'll have to set up for every shot, and save ammo by making every shot count.

300 yards?
A 40gr bullet, with 0.15 BC, starting at 1200fps will drop about 130" at 300 yards. Or about 41MOA. Ending well below subsonic.
A 15mph cross wind will move the bullet more than 50" at 300 yards.
That's more mortar shooting than rifle shooting IMO
wink.gif

I'd use them all, but I'd start with the Savage Mark II as I've already shot out to 275 yards with it (Mark II FVT with a EGW 20 MOA Base, and a Tasco 6-24x42 Mil-Dot Scope.) Marked fairly well on an 8x10 inch gong, and then on a 6x8 inch gong.

Can't say what I would do at 300 yards, but I expect the results would be acceptable.

Its for practicing marksmanship, shooting in general and for having fun at the range without spending alot of money in .308 or .300wm ammo.
As for the distance, 300 meters is the maximum range without having to go to a private range 3 or 4 hours away from home.

Thanks!!

I like my marlin.it easily gets out to 200.

What I was saying, is that 300 yards is kinda overboard.
My scale for accurate 22LR shooting is:

50 yards = Perfect
100 yards = OK
200 yards = Pushing it
300 yards = Overboard

Carter,
+1 on what you said. I was placing the 10/22 as standard from the factory. I just finished a 10/22 on which I put a Shilen varmint contour 22" barrel, Volquartsen trigger group, and a Revolution stock. I have definitely put some money into it...lol. But now I would put it at #2 on the list. Gonna have to get some pics of it and post them in a thread.

Given the list I only have a 10/22. It shoots MOA now after spent a few hours(wks) doing the fit it and tune ups found at rimfirecentral.com. Polished the barrel adjustable stock it's a shooter.

I've shot 300yd at a 8x10 piece of a Humvee but that is stretching it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gknittel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks... what do you mean with spellcheck? </div></div>

He meant you triple tapped tapped the "m" in commments.

And I agree with Hillbillee

I have to agree with HotIce, past 200 yds in less than idea conditions and you're going to have to work for good hits. But then that's what practice is all about...

And the "wich" in the title which was probably supposed to be "which".

200 is easy with my Savage on a 4x6 plate

200 is easy with my Savage on a 4x6 plate [/quote said:
I would agree, 200 yards is no longer that much of a challenge once achieved and practiced. That's why moving past 200 yards makes it interesting.

I think that with the .22LR, unless there's something wrong with the rifle, the accuracy is in the cartridge. I think that when things go wrong, it's usually involved somehow with the barrel's crown.

I think that the CZ is the Cadillac (real nice but ya gotta treat it decent), the Savage is the F150 Pickup Truck (hauls the mail whatever the weather), the 10/22 is the Corvette (fast, but it eats a lot of gas), and the Marlin is the Buick Sedan (nicer than average).

I zero at 50yd, shoot 100yd for a challenge, don't shoot much beyond 100yd, and only go beyond 200yd once in a blue moon.

I'd shoot longer distances more often if I was shooting C/F at extended distances. These days, I'm not.

Pretty much all my comp is FV200 these days. I can R/F Sim that with the same target at 100yd pretty effectively.

In fact, I wonder if that might not make for a pretty decent event all by itself.

Greg