• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wichita Style Sling Swivels w Standard Bipod / Uncle Mike's Stud Thread Pattern?

kft101

Objective
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
NY
This may be a unique question, but does anyone make Wichita Arms style sling swivels (direct screw-in sling loops like used in the M40A1 rifles) that use the standard bipod or Uncle Mike's stud thread pattern?

I have a stock that has the t-nuts already installed for the standard bipod/sling swivel studs, and would like to install sling loops that sit closer to the stock like Wichita sling swivels.

Thanks, all.

i wonder if you could use something like this....https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/swivel-parts/swivels/ar-15-rear-sling-swivel-prod110066.aspx?psize=96

Wasn't aware, how about these?

Wasn't aware, how about these?

Thanks for that link. Will have to inquire what thread pattern their machine screw fore end swivel uses, but it looks like it may work.

Wichita is still a manufacturer.

Their web page....

Their Facebook page.

Mr McNally is really responsive to email.

See if he can thread up a set of his swivels for you.

Wichitas have a really big loop to fit a wider range angle of slings. Those Grovetecs only go 1.25 inches it looks like.

Thanks for the info. Just sent a message to witchita to see if they can do that, as well as to grovtec to see what thread pitch they use.

Reactions: pmclaine
So it looks like both are viable options. Grovtec responded to my inquiry and their threaded sling swivel are 10-32 thread pitch, which should be the same as the t-nuts for the regular studs.

Tim at Wichita is also willing to make some of their sling swivels with the bolts using this thread pitch.

Is anyone interested in going in on a group buy for these? They’d be $45 per swivel plus shipping.

I’ll post this to the m40 forum as well.

Reactions: pmclaine
I've got a McMIllan M40A1 with the Wichitas. I'm needing a regular swivel stud to mount a bipod on, and was curious if you came across one that I could put into use?

MZ

The Wichita swivels use a non-standard mil thread pattern (larger diameter studs). Try to reach out to user SDWhirlwind. He made some bipod studs with the same thread pattern as the Wichitas in the past, though not sure if he has any left or if he is still active.

You could also reach out to Wichita Arms directly. There was a bit of miscommunication when I contacted them about making their swivels with the standard bipod stud thread pattern and they basically remade a standard bipod stud by taking the studs from their swivels, re-threaded it, and cut down the sides of the loop sleeves so it fits a Harris bipod. They can do the same for you but it will be simpler (just take the studs from their swivels using their normal thread pitch, and have them cut down the sides to fit a Harris bipod).

The Wichita swivels use a non-standard mil thread pattern (larger diameter studs). Try to reach out to user SDWhirlwind. He made some bipod studs with the same thread pattern as the Wichitas in the past, though not sure if he has any left or if he is still active.

You could also reach out to Wichita Arms directly. There was a bit of miscommunication when I contacted them about making their swivels with the standard bipod stud thread pattern and they basically remade a standard bipod stud by taking the studs from their swivels, re-threaded it, and cut down the sides of the loop sleeves so it fits a Harris bipod. They can do the same for you but it will be simpler (just take the studs from their swivels using their normal thread pitch, and have them cut down the sides to fit a Harris bipod).

Very helpful; why I love this place. Thanks!

To close the loop on this thread: I found an earlier production McMillan HTG stock with a nice forest camo finish that I wanted to turn into an M40A1'ish stock by replacing the existing sling and bipod studs with direct screw-in attach sling swivels that would also be wide enough to use with a leather M1907 sling.

The final product is pictured here, with some stock work by McMillan (replacing the front two studs with a single one positioned in between, installation of a threaded insert in the rear since it previously had a wood type screw-in stud, install of thicker brown Pachmayr recoil pad since the LOP is cut for it) and custom threaded Wichita sling swivels. The custom threading on the Wichita swivel studs left a little play when screwed into the front aluminum t-nut, causing it to strip when tightened down, but this was fixed by adding a steel nut at the top from a wood stud.

Honestly, it would have been simpler to just have McMillan install the regular Wichita sling swivels and steel inserts, and doubtful that going this route saved me money, but... 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_3240.JPG
    IMG_3240.JPG
    816.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3731.JPG
    IMG_3731.JPG
    420.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3730.JPG
    IMG_3730.JPG
    422.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3729.JPG
    IMG_3729.JPG