• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Wilcox RAPTAR and RAPTAR lite

Hogstooth

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2004
Texas
www.vttactical.com
I have gotten to test out a really neat new piece of kit!

Wilcox has come out with a new system that combines IR illuminator/laser, vis laser (red), and a laser range finder capability out to 1500m. This is a mil spec unit designed for MIL/LE, but they also have a civilian eye safe version that is available.
Using a inline NV system like a PVS 22,24,26,27 be able to place the reticle on a target, lase it to get the distance, illuminate it with the adjustable IR flood, conduct a hold over and engage out to 600 yds with ease. With an extended reticle you could conduct hold overs out to 800yds easy!!

Night vision long range shoot - YouTube

Also in conjunction with the laser range finder system, they have another system for carbines that incorporates the IRs, vis, and a white light capability. Its called the RAPTAR lite and also comes in a eye safe model, these two systems for a sniper team would provide an incredible advantage in the field.

Wilcox raptor lite - YouTube

Both of these units are repairable unlike most units on the market today, plus all the features are programable, if you don't like the intensity of the laser go into the menu and dial it down, want it to be in meters instead of yards just change it, want the display brighter or switch between day and night settings just change it!! Pretty bad ass piece of kit!! Also with the visible laser you don't have to wait till it get completely dark, at dusk you can see the laser in your day optic and zero it at your optimal distance.

Potomac River Group is the distributor for these systems
Potomac River Group Defense

Last edited:
Here are some pics.
1zqexrr.jpg

vy6qdy.jpg

Here is a comparison to a PEQ 15 for size reference, RAPTAR and Lite
esw12e.jpg

Damn, that's slick! From what I can gather from Wilcox there are three models:

RAPTAR
RAPTAR ES
RAPTAR LITE ES

The RAPTAR has mil-grade laser wattage. The ES is a Class 1 eye-safe version. And the RAPTAR LITE ES is also a Class 1 laser but lacks the rangefinder? In other words it's more comparable to an eye-safe PEQ-15?

Damn, that's slick! From what I can gather from Wilcox there are three models:

RAPTAR
RAPTAR ES
RAPTAR LITE ES

The RAPTAR has mil-grade laser wattage. The ES is a Class 1 eye-safe version. And the RAPTAR LITE ES is also a Class 1 laser but lacks the rangefinder? In other words it's more comparable to an eye-safe PEQ-15?

Correct, it's a .7mW laser on-board. We had the gang out from Wilcox yesterday going over the some other new kit (will post shortly), and snapped a quick pic of the full up RAPTAR we had for some training.

20130805_150517_zpsb21560e5.jpg

How does the raptor lite eye safe versions IR laser illuminator compare to the dbal d2 LED illuminator?

Last edited:
Wow that's awesome. I'm not sure if the range finder would be needed for the civilian unit so I'm glad they added the option to not pay for something you won't need.

Wow that's awesome. I'm not sure if the range finder would be needed for the civilian unit so I'm glad they added the option to not pay for something you won't need.

Why exactly would someone want this unit without the rangefinder? I truly thought the rangefinder was what set this apart from everything else.

Does anyone at TNVC need a kidney? I've got an extra and I would be willing to trade straight across. PM me if interested.

Distance is harder to guage with NV, the range finder is the feature I think is swell, otherwise I'd get a DBAL.

i'm with dustin. a civ-legal range finder you can use in the dark is useful. i'd buy one for sure.

It does work really well at night I ranged out to 1235 yds and got it on the first go, plus hit small targets 8x13" at 675yds. The really great thing about this is the powerful visible laser, you can zero it at dusk as far as you can see it! All the lasers are co witnessed so you don't have to worry about zeroing all the different lasers and illuminators separately. It definately rocks shooting it at night, just lase, illuminate and engage! Using hold overs is the best and fastest way, I will try to get some video here soon.

It does work really well at night I ranged out to 1235 yds and got it on the first go, plus hit small targets 8x13" at 675yds. The really great thing about this is the powerful visible laser, you can zero it at dusk as far as you can see it! All the lasers are co witnessed so you don't have to worry about zeroing all the different lasers and illuminators separately. It definately rocks shooting it at night, just lase, illuminate and engage! Using hold overs is the best and fastest way, I will try to get some video here soon.

That's the best news I've heard in a long time. It sounds like ranging a hog or coyote at 600 yards shouldn't be a problem. There are a lot of critters that are no longer safe.

The biggest problem is that, while the non-rangefinder versions are fairly competitive with the rest of the market in terms of price, the rangefinder version is north of 6 grand. For that price get a PLRF-10C that will talk with ballistics software, do declination, complex measurements, etc.

Well a LE discount is a good question and PRG is LE friendly, but even with a 15% discount you are still talking $5500 + for this unit, you might want to look at grant programs for your department and or get the dept to fund it. This was built for the military so offering a civ legal version is pretty nice. One of the few items that has not been modified other than the power of the laser to make it eye safe.

Most of my LE discounts have been lots more than 15% but I'm not holding my breathe on something like this. My Peq will have to do for now!!

The pressure pad has a velcro backer on it so I just put a small patch of fuzzy side on the stock. For field use I would probably want to zip tie or dummy cord it. They didn't do a wireless version because of the EOD requirement of having everything hard wired.

I was told it will take any surefire bezels, but I am not sure that they are all the same size? If they are the same diameter and thread pitch then it should work, now I don't know that your 500 lumen bezel won't drain your battery in a half hour?

so let me see if I have this right, the IR range finder will work day or night and if I have the vis/ir laser co witness with my scope then I can switch from a dedicated NV d760 to a day scope and can confirm zero by checking the co witness ? not that this is the only reason to have one, just trying to justify it any and every way I can

pretty cool

Last edited:
well if I switch scopes 5,000 times and save 1 round each time having to check my zero, Then its almost paid for ,,,Right

Well yes I guess you could do that? You would want to zero your laser at your farthest engagement distance or the max effective of your caliber. Mine is zeroed at 800yds so there is some offset at the closer distances but no more than .5 mils, so if you know what your offset is then all you have to do is make sure that the offset is the same every time you switch optics or remount your primary optic.

Is the Raptor ES WITH the Range finder available for Non Govt buys? I'm LE but I'd be buying this on my own. And what's the price of a ES Lite unit. What's the benefit of it over an DBAL-D2?

I received my RAPTAR Lite ES in tan from PRG the other day. While I am a civilian shooter, I've used full power DBALs and PEQ15s but the RAPTAR is perfect for my needs (courses and hopefully a hog hunt).

I did not get the rangefinder version because as someone mentioned, I have a Vectronix for that and besides it's around $6500. Mine was $1700ish. Around the same price of the latest civilian DBAL. I love the fact it is upgradeable and comes with a warranty. The SF light is rated at 80 lumens which doesn't sound like a lot these days as my carbine currently rocks a 1000 lumen SF P3X but it seemed brighter than 80. You might be able to crank it up but battery life would be short. I'm mounting it up tomorrow on my Colt.

BTW, the folk at PRG are awesome. They answered all of my questions and shipped it to me overnight. Excellent customer service.

Last edited:
John thx for the detailed feedback, good information to have re. your specific model.

I bet that P3X Fury really rocks on your carb., now get your ass back to monitoring that CBS & Pizza fest on LF.

Hey Kevin, met you at AUSA just recently at the Wilcox both with Jason M. you had recommended the CleanFire products to me.

Guys if you have questions about warranty or sales, you will have to contact Jason or Mike at PRG, I am just a test dummy and trainer.

[email protected] He is out in Cali right now, but will be back next week so I am sure he will respond to emails

For those that have had some hands on experience with the Raptar Lite units. What are your observation and opinions on the Class 1 IR laser and illuminator? What is the useful range of each? How does the IR illuminator compare to say the DBAL D2 illuminator? Any excessive blooming of the IR laser? How do they compare in general to other Class 1 units out there such as the DBAL I2, or DBAL D2?

The really great thing about the Raptar is that it is adjustable, you can go into the menu and change every aspect of the lasers and display. If you know that you are going to be in an urban environment then you can program the laser down a bit to avoid blooming, granted you won't be able to set it up for every situation and taking the time to do it in complete darkness would require some time and knowledge of the system menus.

As for a comparison of other units, I actually like the class one lasers for short to medium engagements, I very rarely use the high settings on the Class III stuff, but it is nice to have it for illuminating and spotting at long range.

Last edited: