• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will 75gr. A-Max bullet fit in AR?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I just purchased 200rds of Hornady A-Max bullets to reload and just realized how much longer they are with the tip on them. Will they fit in a AR mag ao dont even bother trying? Im just wondering if they are going to be over the Max. Cart. OAL.
Shit, I hope not or im stuck with 200rds.
Or I guess I can load them and individually load them in my AR or not? I just dont want to have just wasted $40 for nuthin.

Re: Will 75gr. A-Max bullet fit in AR?

I think you are going to have a little problem with the COAL for the AMAX. It calls for a COAL of 2.390". Don't think it's going to fit into your AR mag. The 75 grains BTHP, however is another story. With the BTHP Hornady, you can load it to 2.250". Sorry for the bad news.

They need to be loaded longer than magazine length. They shoot great for single load longer range shooting. If you do not have a use for them like that I'm sure you could find someone to sell them to. They are a very good bullet for the 600 yard line slow fire stage of the national match course.

The problem is that by the time you load them short enough to fit in a mag, the neck has nothing to grab on to because the bullet is seated so deep in the case. You can only single load them for an AR.

If they're 75 grainers don't feel like you're stuck with them. I need some and would be interested in taking them off of your hands if they won't work for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they're 75 grainers don't feel like you're stuck with them. I need some and would be interested in taking them off of your hands if they won't work for you. </div></div>Dangit, I was going to offer to take 100 off his hands.
laugh.gif

I use the 75bthp with no problems at all in my AR, the Amax's are single load only and work well in that role.

They are the cat's ass at 600 single load, and perform like the 80SMK in some rifles. If you are looking for a bullet to get the best accuracy out of your AR, try a few with around 24.5gr Varget. The 75BTHP is mag lenght all day.

AG in NC

What tip is loaded into Factory 75 grain TAP ammunition? Is this a gifferent bullet than the 75 gr AMAX?

Thanks

I ordered the Original Bob Sled from Sinclair Int. to shoot single shots out of my AR (those damn 75gr. A-MAXs). See if I can stand it or not.

What twist does you barrel have? Th A-Max likes a 1:8 or faster , but there are cases where people have shot them successfully in 1:9 twist;keep them fast.