• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

will a muzzle break make me change my load ?

The_AKD

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2010
If I install a muzzle break on my rifle will i need to alter my load ?

Im asing in general but my rifle is a 700 5R millspec

thx.

Re: will a muzzle break make me change my load ?

No shouldnt need to change your load but you may need to adjust your zero as the addition may change your POI.

It might make it to where you are more comfortable with running a hotter load due to less recoil, but I doubt it will make any noticeable difference.

I have a DPMS LR-308. Before I had a brake installed it liked Fed GMM 168 ammo. After GAP installed a JP/Cooley brake it likes Fed GMM 175 ammo better. Fine with me though as I'd prefer to be shooting the 175 SMK anyway.

Adding mass to the muzzle changes the barrel's polar moment of intertia.

(Nongeekspeek: You changed the barrel harmonics. Do a load workup to see what it does to the barrel's load preferences)

Henceforward, if I use the acronym NGS, I mean nongeekspeek.

Greg

good point, i was not thinking of barrel harmonics. Makes total seance. Are your groups as tight still with a break as they were with no break ?

I have a brake on my 5r I got from RWS here on the hide and it works great and it is shooting some tight groups

You will probably need minor load tweaking after you install the brake

When I added the TRG brake to my TRG 22 it didn't change anything.