• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will i ever find that “do it all” rifle? Anyone else have this problem?

If you are referring to big game hunting .....nope, I solved that problem in 1990! One rifle, one cartridge, one bullet (actually 4, since 1990), and one zero! I’ve used it on everything from prairie dogs to moose! Though, it’s better suited for deer/antelope up to and through almost all African game! My wife has the same situation, except where she is caliber limited in Africa! It certainly simplifies things!

Though, if you want to shoot a lot of rounds at a sitting.....these may not be for the “faint of heart”! 😉 memtb

In my mind a 243 bolt gun is the closest I’ve had for a “ do it all” rifle.
Crows, groundhogs and drops deer on the spot. If twisted right they are good to 1000yds for target shooting also.

IMO, a .243 Win. isn’t the type of cartridge you can shoot a lot of though. Your barrel will be toast before long.

For me, it’s having 2 “do it all rifles.” My M1A and my Remington 700 in .308. Ammo can be shared between the 2(within reason) and I have one for defense, the other for support. Of course, I have my primary weapons above , along with a secondary rifle for overwatch security in 6.5 creedmoor 😬👍🏻 Win-win in my book.

IMO, a .243 Win. isn’t the type of cartridge you can shoot a lot of though. Your barrel will be toast before long.

For me, it’s having 2 “do it all rifles.” My M1A and my Remington 700 in .308. Ammo can be shared between the 2(within reason) and I have one for defense, the other for support. Of course, I have my primary weapons above , along with a secondary rifle for overwatch security in 6.5 creedmoor 😬👍🏻 Win-win in my book.
Overwatch security?

OP here. This is my newest project. Bighorn origin, proof research cf barrel in 6.5cm, trigget tech trigger, and aics chassis. Have had it a little over month or so. Have put about 150 rounds through it. Have used it from praire dog to coyotes so far. But i have to go pick up an ar15 stripped receiver set that just got delivered to my ffl. Going to build a 6mm arc rifle now. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• 696C1205-5CC7-447D-A1FC-91B37798E2ED.jpeg
    696C1205-5CC7-447D-A1FC-91B37798E2ED.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
my "do everything" had to be capable of 1000 yards and run on surplus nato ammo if needed, since "everything" included a zombie invasion and idiots in light blue helmets trying to enforce globalist rule. i'll use their ammo when they run away.

6190.gif

for this i chose the scar 20s. i wouldn't want to carry it very far, but since i wouldn't try to run from a tsunami, i don't care how much it weighs.
anything too close for the scar can be handled with a shotgun or handgun.

edit: if i wasn't too old and broken down to run around, i'd probably have a scar 17s with 2 or 3 different barrels.

Last edited:
We can't say "Do IT all" but if we're honest we might say "Do MY all". Im an out of shape computer nerd who likes to shoot whenever I can. Im not tryna be a PRS Gamer and Im not hiking backwoods 30 miles a day. Although I wouldnt have "1" because I really enjoy shooting rimfire AND centerfire. But on the centerfire side Im in the same boat - Ive got a 223 bolt that I rationalize as using for "training" since its cheaper to shoot but Im stuck on which long-range platform to build on - again not necessarily for hunting, although should be applicable to North American game OR steel targets. Id love to have matching calibers in gas and bolt guns - so maybe 224 Valkyrie, 6 ARC, 6 Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor? Im definitely not building up a Ko2M type gun or even tryna hit that 1765y steel at my range.

So, no - not 1 do it all for me either :D I need:
Bolt Gun 223
Gas Gun 223
Gas Gun Rimfire 10/22
Bolt Gun Rimfire 22 LR
Bolt Gun (600-100Y)
Gas Gun (600-1000Y)

Reactions: theLBC
We can't say "Do IT all" but if we're honest we might say "Do MY all". Im an out of shape computer nerd who likes to shoot whenever I can. Im not tryna be a PRS Gamer and Im not hiking backwoods 30 miles a day. Although I wouldnt have "1" because I really enjoy shooting rimfire AND centerfire. But on the centerfire side Im in the same boat - Ive got a 223 bolt that I rationalize as using for "training" since its cheaper to shoot but Im stuck on which long-range platform to build on - again not necessarily for hunting, although should be applicable to North American game OR steel targets. Id love to have matching calibers in gas and bolt guns - so maybe 224 Valkyrie, 6 ARC, 6 Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor? Im definitely not building up a Ko2M type gun or even tryna hit that 1765y steel at my range.

So, no - not 1 do it all for me either :D I need:
Bolt Gun 223
Gas Gun 223
Gas Gun Rimfire 10/22
Bolt Gun Rimfire 22 LR
Bolt Gun (600-100Y)
Gas Gun (600-1000Y)
we have a fair bit in common.
when i said one, i should have clarified.
i have 2 handguns, primary, back up and my retired p226 that i bought in 92.
a shotgun (mossberg 500)
a 22lr rifle (ruger 10/22 takedown lite)
a .308 levergun (winchester model 88 with weaver scope circa 1962)

the one thing i didn't have was a fully semi-auto centerfire rifle, since i didn't live anywhere close to an outdoor range to use one.
only reason i bought one was to fulfill my patriotic duty to prepare for the worst before "they" make them illegal to purchase.

Last edited:
Everytime i buy a "do all" rifle, i come home and try to wash my car with it. None of them have done all so far.

Attachments

• 16149879353915893596318136805063.jpg
    16149879353915893596318136805063.jpg
    883.3 KB · Views: 35
If there is one even close to a "do all" rifle, I would recommend a Pedersoli Boar Buster lever action carbine. Available in .45-70 or .444 Marlin. Straight wall, smokeless and black powder compatible. Proven Winchester Model 86/71 receiver. Cast bullets or jacketed. HUGE knockdown power for all North American big game. Compact. Easy to pack away in a backpack rig for hiking/camping, or toss in a car/truck. And most state and many local governments will not give you grief over it if you are traveling frequently with it. The Boar Buster Mark II is a modern tacticalized version of the original Boar Buster. Not a looker. Not at all. BUT, the Mark II is like a fat chick or a moped... As long as nobody else sees you with it, it is fun and not embarrassing, and definitely WILL fully satisfy any need you require taken care of... View attachment 7573558
+1 on 1886/71 in 45-70

Attachments

• BF785D62-5505-4E7C-941D-B06C0BEAFF03.jpeg
    BF785D62-5505-4E7C-941D-B06C0BEAFF03.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 51
3 rifles, for 3 different tasks.
Reload for all, to get best performance.
Easy.
My everyday feral basher, is my Tikka Super Varmint 6.5 Creedmoor.
The more I use it, the more I like it.

Reactions: camotoe
The M107A1 "CQ" is as close to a true do-it-all rifle as there will ever be.

keep buying and shooting till you do find it and good luck .

Overwatch security?

My "tongue in cheek" way of calling it a long range rifle; something that has better external ballistics than my .308's. Though, if I need a 6.5 for security, we're in a true SHTF condition. 🙂 Never hurts to be prepared though, right.

No such thing...horses for courses, the right tool for the job, etc. Pick your euphemism.

Closest I can think of is a well sorted AR-10, or maybe a SCAR17 as mentioned above.
Agree.

I have a SR25 ACC and a Scar 17 on honestly, and both could be considered very good field rifles. Especially if one does not go crazy and hang everything and the kitchen sink on it. I think that when either of those two rifles get chambered in a modern cartridge like the 6.5cm, I think they would be pretty close to your do all rifle.

Of course, I think that a quality 14.5 to 16 inch 556 AR is a damn good weapon with modern ammo.

Agree.

I have a SR25 ACC and a Scar 17 on honestly, and both could be considered very good field rifles. Especially if one does not go crazy and hang everything and the kitchen sink on it. I think that when either of those two rifles get chambered in a modern cartridge like the 6.5cm, I think they would be pretty close to your do all rifle.

Of course, I think that a quality 14.5 to 16 inch 556 AR is a damn good weapon with modern ammo.
My 6.8 AR15 upper takes care of pigs and deer just fine, as does the 450 bushmaster upper in close...and have popped plenty of both along with coyotes, feral dogs, etc. with plain old 5.56 as well, but my AR10 in .308 will take anything in North America if I do my part.

The new SCAR 20S can be had chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor...

Ive noticed i have a little issue. i’ll go out and buy a rifle, exactly how i want it. And i try to make myself believ that this is that one rifle. The rifle im going to shoot the hell out of. I try to convince myself im going to learn this rifle like if it was a part of me.The rifle im going to hunt all winter with, and put hundreds of rounds down range on steel so i can learn it. But ill take it out once or twice, and im on to the next project, and once again i make myself believe this next rifle is going to be the one i shoot the hell out of. But ive been doing this for years and i havent been able to stick to one rifle, learn it, learn what it likes, what it doesnt like. Learn the ballistics. I have friends that know their rifles like the back of their hand because they shoot the hell out of them. I cant seem to keep my attention on one for very long before im onto the next one. Anyone else like this? Ive come to realize i need to slow down. The amount of money i spend every year almost makes me cringe. I guess ive always been in search of that do it all rifle. Do those exist? I love banging long range steel and hunting coyotes and deer all winter long.
I think the best we can hope for is to get to that point where we say "This is the 'last' rifle I'd vote off the island". For me, that's my LWRCI REPR MKII Elite chambered in 6.5-Creedmoor. An AR-10 semi-auto high-capacity form-factor, affordable ammo (in normal times), good for close-in or out past 1,000 yards, piston-gas so shoots clean, super accurate, etc. etc. etc. That "do-it-all" rifle checks a LOT of boxes for me. If poverty struck me and I had to sell guns to buy food, this would be the one I own that I'd starve over. (With my Barrett MRAD as a close runner up.)

Your words:
I guess I've always been in search of that do it all rifle. Do those exist?

Will i ever find that “do it all” rifle?​

Society has collapsed. Due to many unforeseeable developments you are totally alone and must abandon your abode in a hurry...... Your pack is loaded to the max and as you walk out the door, you can only grab one weapon to take with you... You are stepping out into the unknown... What one weapon will you take?

You have just defined your "do all" weapon.... Best start spending more time shooting it, gathering parts, magazines and rigging your plate carrier accordingly. Now it is not just a weapon. It is a system to keep you alive.

Hobo

Reactions: 91Eunozs
I have a 60's era Rem 700 ADL in 25-06. Killed many deer and elk with 115 partitions. It's also the rifle I loaded 50 rounds for 3 years ago and have 30 left.

Bergara b-14 ridge in 6.5. I grabbed it because it was on the rack and had a threaded muzzle. Used it for comps for a summer and then moved it to kids hunting duty.

Rem 700 with a 243AI in a massive bull barrel is the latest comp rifle.

There are many others for prairie dogs, gophers, nrl22, because I can, etc. Those 3 have been the ones I've shot the most or always reach for.

My wife thinks I have a problem with a few dozen, but my good friends and family wonder why I have so few.

What’s long range steel?

If you’re ok with 500yrds or so for the steel, a nice AR like a JP CTR02 18” with good couture would do, toss a good optic on and maybe offset RDS and that would work well.
I know lots of people think you need a 125mm to hunt deer, however with most ranges most deer are taken at, and if you have the skill to hit long range steel, you should be fine
I don’t think “couture” means what’s you think it means.....or makes any sense in your comment...remaining confused here....help a brother out....

I don’t think “couture” means what’s you think it means.....or makes any sense in your comment...remaining confused here....help a brother out....

Autocorrect for the win lol

Reactions: John_in_WYO
h5X6PqbO.jpeg

I like the challenges that arise with a compromise gun.

Currently considering an over under survival gun just because.