• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Will switch barrel rifles begin to effect scope sales? Discuss.

Shoottothrill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Arizona
With companies like Desert Tech, Accuracy International and a few other companies beginning to make rifles that can shoot multiple calibers with one scope, begin to effect overall scope sales?

No.

Switching barrels and rezeroing all the time is a hassle.

The switch barrel is great in theory, but in practice if you really want to shoot both 243 and 308 (for example) you're going to get a second rifle.

I agree. Not to mention the fact that most of those switch barrel set ups cost as much as three custom rifle put together. For the average person you aren't going to drop 5K for a base kit than 1800+ for a caliber conversion.

I think it depends on what your shooting and how often you plan on swapping. I have a switch bbl rifle and 2 more on the way. But I wont be switching much. So yeah, I will use the same scope for each action. But I might change once a year.

I agree. Not to mention the fact that most of those switch barrel set ups cost as much as three custom rifle put together. For the average person you aren't going to drop 5K for a base kit than 1800+ for a caliber conversion.

Amen Brother.......

I can have 2 GAPs for the cost of 1 AX with an additional barrel. Now I realize the AX looks good at SHOT and it is Jack Bauer cool to assemble the rifle on the 32 floor of the Nakatomi Plaza and engage hostiles but are not in a movie. We should leave this type of work up to the only real heroes left the men and woman in the Armed Forces and Law Enforcement!

Why on earth would you want 1 rifle instead of 2???
I thought the one with the most toys wins??!!!!

No.

Switching barrels and rezeroing all the time is a hassle.

The switch barrel is great in theory, but in practice if you really want to shoot both 243 and 308 (for example) you're going to get a second rifle.

This. I bought a DTA and S&B thinking I would save money in the long run rather compared to building other rifles. Currently I have a 6CM build in the works and will more than likely top it off with a NF Beast.

The options of switching calibers is nice. However when you factor in additional reloading setups the price advantage is hurt. Sure I could have 243, 260, 6.5 SAUM, 300WM, etc. barrels spun up for my DTA, but in reality I'm just going to stick with my 308. When I shoot out this barrel or I get bored, I'll just get a new caliber barrel made and have that as my DTA caliber.

However I will definitely not be selling my DTA! Still an excellent rifle with amazing balance for off hand (hunting) shots. It'll also come in handy as a cheaper route into 338LM territory when that itch happens (and when I can stomach that costly of ammo!).

Does quick release mounts and people who play musical scopes effect scope sales? Who knows. If it does it's on an incredibly low level. Switch barrel rifles have been around quite a while and many have been done on Remington and other commercial actions.

The fact most of these rifles whether custom or factory typically run $3500 plus, not including an extra barrel means that most people dropping the cash on them have other rifles too.

It did with me.

My DTA gives me every caliber I need with a simple barrel swap.

One scope does it all.....that's why I got a Premier, zero change with no tools required. Because DTAs are so repeatable, I know what my zero shift is from barrel to barrel and it's within a 1/4 MOA every time. I really don't need to re-zero.

When I switch from my .243 to my 6.5 cm, I dial up 4-10ths and to the right 2-10ths......I have done it enough to know how repeatable it is....I trust it.

yes, a few people will buy a few less scopes. Its effect will be so small to the overall market that no one will notice.

Have 2 DTA - regular and covert with 5 barrels(308, 308 shorty, 243, 6.5 CM, 2 different 300 WMs and 2 338 LMS) Use 1 scope on covert and 2 scopes in Larue mounts on regular
have a rezero table for each

Have a hunting Blaser with a few barrels - scope for each barrel sitting on top of barrel itself in Blaser mounts

Probably would prefer same setup for my DTA

Custom action + Barrel vise + action wrench = switch barrel rifle in 1 minute

New scopes are like crack, it's hard to imagine anything slowing down sales unless the DEA gets involved

Until the cost of the multi caliber rifles come down in price, I will say no. These rifles cost a lot of money and at the end of the day there is something to be said for having two or three scoped rifles (Zeroed) ready to go, instead of one rifle that can switch to three different calibers and you have to rezero if you make a caliber change. Most people can't afford what these companies are asking for the initial cost if they are just getting into precision shooting.

I think the switch caliber design is a cool idea and I like how it' s effecting some of the new rifles (AI AT) where you can switch out your own barrels (.308 to .260 etc.) and not have to pay a gunsmith to do it. This is more practical for the guy who competes and can switch out his own barrel based on the rules of the comp or depending what ammo he has on hand. Not to mention who doesn't like having spare parts laying around and a rifle they can work on themselves?

I agree that it won't/doesn't hurt scope sales. What I don't understand is the mystique surrounding switchbarrels. You can switch barrels on a $500 Remington all day long. Re zeroing is a problem how? ....a couple shots and a couple clicks is all it takes I have a few and am building more. I love them and I still have a pile of scopes and will need more.

I agree that it won't/doesn't hurt scope sales. What I don't understand is the mystique surrounding switchbarrels. You can switch barrels on a $500 Remington all day long. Re zeroing is a problem how? ....a couple shots and a couple clicks is all it takes I have a few and am building more. I love them and I still have a pile of scopes and will need more.

A true switch barrel rifle can be done easily at the range or in the field. Based on what you're saying, an Ar15 is a switch barrel rifle.

Just because the barrel CAN be switched, that doesn't make it a switch barrel rifle.

A true switch barrel rifle can be done easily at the range or in the field. Based on what you're saying, an Ar15 is a switch barrel rifle.

Just because the barrel CAN be switched, that doesn't make it a switch barrel rifle.

Interesting perspective.

I've seen a lot of folks rebarrel their F class and Bench rest rifles at the range in a minute or two with a rear entry action wrench and barrel vice bolted to a piece of pipe.

I understand "true" switch barrel rifles generally rely on a clamping arrangement to afix barrel to action rather than tennon torque alone, but nonetheless, it's still damn easy to pop the barrel off most any non-factory rifle.

Yes. I have been running a Desert Tech SRS for a few years. All of the barrels will return to their respective zero. I have even taken out my barrel and put it back in to demonstrate its reliability during some local matches. I know where the zero on each caliber is and adjusting the scope is easy, especially if you have a scope that can quickly adjust its zero. Like the Premier Heritage (which I run on my SRS) or the new Tangent Theta scopes.

In my opinion the scope manufactures that realize the importance of a quick adjustable zero and zero stop and make scopes with these features will do very well being paired up with the switch barrel rifles like DT and AI.

I guess you learn something every day. All those times I changed barrels and calibers in 3-4 minutes, I wasn't switching barrels.

Again, sarcasm aside, if you need specialty tools like a barrel vice and an action wrench, head space gauges to do it, its not truly a switch barrel rifle. Most rifles allow you to swap barrels out and normally require a gunsmith to do it properly and safely if you dont have the requisite tools but the gun was not designed from the beginning to actually swap barrels.

I guess by that logic my Nissan Titan is a switch motor truck because I can swap motors out in it.

No I dont think so. I had a DTA but traded it for an AE. The caliber conversions cost a arm and a leg. 1800.00 bucks. Mags are limited to 6 rounds (not a huge deal). I can either run DTA with 3 calibers or build 3 rifles on remy receivers with HDMR scopes.

In reality if i want to go out and shoot 3 calibers on the same day i take 3 rifles not 1 switch barrel. switching zero's confirming zeros and swapping barrels is still kind of a pain even with the new AI's. Very cool feature but i doubt many people will buy one do it all rifle.

Was doing this years before AI and DTA even existed. They didn't invent the term. A switchbarrel gun doesn't need headspace gauges as it's already set up for it's intended barrels. You're going to need to convince more than me. Switchbarrel set ups have been around a long time and are owned by many.

No I dont think so. I had a DTA but traded it for an AE. The caliber conversions cost a arm and a leg. 1800.00 bucks. Mags are limited to 6 rounds (not a huge deal). I can either run DTA with 3 calibers or build 3 rifles on remy receivers with HDMR scopes.

Keep in mind, conversions include bolts as well. If youre sticking within the same case parent range, you dont need a new bolt. I get a barrel, extension, muzzle device and chambering work done for about $1100.00.

The new AI At looks very nice as well and the price point is killer considering its an AI.

Was doing this years before AI and DTA even existed. They didn't invent the term. A switchbarrel gun doesn't need headspace gauges as it's already set up for it's intended barrels. You're going to need to convince more than me. Switchbarrel set ups have been around a long time and are owned by many.

I know that people have been swapping barrels out....Ive done it.

I had a .308 and .243 chambered for this rifle and swapped them out. Although I didnt feel comfortable doing it without at least running a go-no go gauge through it. It is still something that most people would not want to tackle and it does require tools and a place to do it.

I can carry the tools to change my barrel out in my back pocket.

P7163109-vi.jpg

Whatever minor affect switch barrel guns may have, it is greatly outweighed by the huge increase in the total number
of shooters. As we all know, the industry has exploded over the past 3 to 5 years. More of my friends than ever before are into all sorts of shooting sports, including precision rifle and 3 gun. I doubt the affect of switch barrel rifles will even be noticed.

That doesn't somehow make a rifle any less switch barrel if you're using a wrench and vice. You don't need to headspace anything on a switch barrel rifle. You can't change it anyhow even if it magically became wrong. Switch barrel has been around far longer then its been cool.