• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will you guys believe this?

Johnny Sasaki

Minuteman
I got out of fairly serious surgery a couple months ago. I was in the emergency room for a full day, then went into surgery for about 5+ hours, then spent an additional 12 days in the hospital recovering.

How much do you think all that would cost? Gotta figure there's a crap ton of stuff you're paying for in a hospital. Doctors and nurses have to be paid, you gotta pay for the use of all the equipment, all the meds and shots they give you, the x-rays and CAT scans, in addition I'm sure they charge by the hour for being in the bed itself for 12 days and a day in the emergency room. That's not even counting the actual 5+ hours of surgery, and doctors visits after.

So what? 10-15 grand out of pocket after the insurance covers a good 90%?

I swear I must have paid about 400-450 bucks out of pocket.

Funny part was, me and my dad were joking when we got out of the doctors office the one day about how much he's probably gonna charge for the literally 30 second visit. He came in the room, checked out my stomach, and said I could go. He said there was no co-pay, but as we're getting in the car we were joking about how he's probably getting like 50 bucks for those 30 seconds. Turns out he actually didn't charge us anything, lol. Wow. Neither did the other doctor we went to.

Crazy.

Granted the experience was a nightmare. Got out of surgery at about 11pm on new years eve, and apparently they put the epidural in wrong and when the pain meds wore off from the surgery for me to find out they all had already gone home, and I had to wait a good 6 and a half hours before they got back in the next morning and could fix it. Then a couple days later when the epidural came off, they ran out of the IV pain meds after my first shot. Had to wait over 8 hours on that one. Not to mention the nurse must have punched me in the stomach (I had intestinal surgery) a good 3-4 times (she put something on too tight and her hand kept slipping and hitting me in the stomach while she was trying to get it undone).

Re: Will you guys believe this?

all depends on your insurance man

had a buddy who broke his leg skiing, compound fracture, he paid about 50$ total for everything including hospital stay

other friend, crashed his bike,x rays, nothing broken, a few stitches, one night for "observation" - 11,000

all depends on insurance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all depends on your insurance man

had a buddy who broke his leg skiing, compound fracture, he paid about 50$ total for everything including hospital stay

other friend, crashed his bike,x rays, nothing broken, a few stitches, one night for "observation" - 11,000

all depends on insurance </div></div>

I've got GEHA, but when you get the bills you still see what the hospital charged, then what the insurance covered, and then what you are responsible for. They said the 5+ hour surgery was only $1500 bucks. I paid about 150 for it. Crazy.

My wife's stroke...$21k. Out of pocket? $50. Glad I have good insurance.

Minor outpatient sugery last year. In and out in about 4-5 hours. Bill was 17000 and my cost was 3200.......but I carry a 2500 deductible.

Insurance plans vary immensely. Some have no co-pay, some have co-pay, some have deductibles, some don't, etc

Main thing is this....

Insurance plan = pre-negotiated rates for services/fees with hospitals & MDs

So, its kind of like the MSRP price for a vehicle....if you don't have insurance, then thats the cost. However, if you have insurance, then your price is actually 1/2 of MSRP b/c it was pre-negotiated. Then this is where your different nuances of your plan come into play (deductible, co-pay, etc)

Hosptials overcharge (MSRP prices) to recooperate the essentially 90% "no pay" patients that come into the ER every day. There is no more turning away people in the ER due to the wonderful decision by the federal government back in the late 80s.

THAT is one of the main reasons hospital charges are so high these days!!!!

Once people found out that they don't have to go to the free Charity Hospitals, where do you think they are going to head when they have a sniffle....the nice private hospitals.....we'll they are entitled to healthcare..right?

You can't be billed for follow up visits after surgery. You are under what is called a global. Global periods vary. When I do carpal tunnel surgery The patient has free follow up for 3 months. Whether I see them once or 900 times there is no charge...I can charge for other services needed such as x-rays or durable goods such as splints but not for my time.Insurance companies are very sneaky. They will show what the hospital/MDs bill and what is covered but often not what the hospital/MD actually got paid. These prenegotiated contracts are not fair to us because they change rapidly and with little notice. Insurances reimburses us in terms of % of what we ask. When that percent goes down too far of what I ask then I have to raise my rates to earn a decent living....that is part of the reason why our charges look so high. If I want $2000 for a complex open elbow fracture surgery and I am reimbursed 10% of what I ask ($200), the next time I renegotiate I will ask for $20,000 (of course they then drop the % of what they reimburse to 2% - this is an extreme example, but you get the idea). The bottom line is, if the patient sees a bill that says the doctor's fee is 20,000, that is NOT what I am paid. I will be lucky to get $1,000.00 for a complex surgery. It is also unfair to patients that are out of network because they are then hit with a huge bill that their insurance won't cover. We cannot then legally change our fee because it is against the law. I no longer deal with this mess since I quit private practice and became an employee of a center.

I had an MRI done a few months ago, and my explanation of benefits read something like this. Price $10,000 - Negotiated price $1400. My part was something like $240. Insurance paid the rest. Now if I had just gone in without insurance with cash in hand, at the same place, it would have cost between $400-$600. Medical billing is ,purposefully, a mindfuck.

back in2000 crashed my bike snapped mytibea,compound,went to hospital. went thru surgery,came out doc said looked ok removed couple bone chips.that was it. spent 2days in hospital sent home on3rd day, doc said if i couldn;t find doctor to put arod in my leg he would be more than happy to come to my city and do it.told me to follow up with myfamily doctor. sent me home in a ace bandage wrap!!! no cast , no rod,n only 3 vicodens .so i wouldnt get addicted. went to my family doctor ,nurse said stop rigt there. iwas rolling liability to their office.they called a ortho surgeon sent me their.rolled into their office , mindyou ballin from 3days of pain nout of meds. their nurse seen me n her jaw bout hit the floor.she thought my doc was kidding when called,an said i;D BE RIHGt there.icould hear her telln the ortho surgeon my condition, n he said what a dumb son of a bitch that other doctor was . they put my leg in cast up to my groin ,n for the first time in 3days felt RELIEFnow my bones werent clicking together every time imoved.ortho surg said i had to wait for swelling to go down toget new rod .he then made phone call to the last hospitalal iwas at and istill did not get a bill from them, to this day. second surgury was bout1000 thats the deductable i had .

My 1yo son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes back in August, he spent 4 days at St. Christophers hospial of Philadelphia. Total cost was 52,000!! My co-pay was 300 bucks...

We have a pretty good insurance plan with the FD. Maternity is an extra cost. We were not planning on having another baby but things happen and we did. We had dropped the maternity coverage and when the wife went to her Dr. we told them we were going to pay cash. The price was much much lower than the amount they billed insurance for the birth of our first son.

Maybe one of the Docs on here can chime in and give an idea as to the price difference. I think this is something to consider when you have a high deductible or copay.

My ACL reconstruction....$0 out of pocket. What wasn't covered by W/C was covered by insurance. I can complain about a lot of things with my company, but not that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10Truck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1yo son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes back in August, he spent 4 days at St. Christophers hospial of Philadelphia. Total cost was 52,000!! My co-pay was 300 bucks... </div></div>

Bucks County huh? I grew up in the Levittown/Langhorne area. Just moved away last year.

There is something called the Global Period of Service after surgery.
It includes the surgeon's basic aftercare for 90-120 days.
That is why often why there is frequently no charge for followup visits. That cost is included in the surgery bill.
After the Globa Period then there may be a per visit charge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10Truck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1yo son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes back in August, he spent 4 days at St. Christophers hospial of Philadelphia. Total cost was 52,000!! My co-pay was 300 bucks... </div></div>

Bucks County huh? I grew up in the Levittown/Langhorne area. Just moved away last year. </div></div>

Yup, grew up in Morrisville, moved to Bristol about 6 yrs ago. And i hope to do the same some day....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10Truck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10Truck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1yo son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes back in August, he spent 4 days at St. Christophers hospial of Philadelphia. Total cost was 52,000!! My co-pay was 300 bucks... </div></div>

Bucks County huh? I grew up in the Levittown/Langhorne area. Just moved away last year. </div></div>

Yup, grew up in Morrisville, moved to Bristol about 6 yrs ago. And i hope to do the same some day.... </div></div>

Sucks that there's no good ranges in area right? Langhorne Rod and Gun is basically the best one in the area and that only goes to 200, and plus it's private. Classic Pistol is ok, but it's only a pistol range.

Moved away and like 3 months after I got here a 1000 yard range with electronic targets opened up right next to me, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10Truck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10Truck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1yo son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes back in August, he spent 4 days at St. Christophers hospial of Philadelphia. Total cost was 52,000!! My co-pay was 300 bucks... </div></div>

Yup, grew up in Morrisville, moved to Bristol about 6 yrs ago. And i hope to do the same some day.... </div></div>

Sucks that there's no good ranges in area right? Langhorne Rod and Gun is basically the best one in the area and that only goes to 200, and plus it's private. Classic Pistol is ok, but it's only a pistol range.

Moved away and like 3 months after I got here a 1000 yard range with electronic targets opened up right next to me, lol. </div></div>

Yeah, not really. We go do Fort Dix on occasion in NJ, but you have to watch what you take. I joined New Holland range last year in Gap PA which goes to 600yds but only made it there twice..Classic Pistol is a freaking mad house anymore....

Fort Dix is too far for my lazy ass to be driving to go shooting, lol.

I'll tell you what though, I used to have to go to the McGuire commissary every week when I was a kid, then I went back for what ever reason about a year ago and it was MAJOR nostalgia.