• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wilson Combat 6.5 Will Not Cycle Correctly

metalfarm

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2017
Brand new 6.5 tactical hunter. I've had it to the range twice for a total of about 225 rounds. I just can't get this thing to work properly. The first thing I noticed is that the brass doesn't eject very far. It just kind of falls out of the port. In fact often it doesn't even come out it gets stuck between the bolt and the upper and now the upper is all marred to hell. The bolt also gets stuck in the feed ramp.

I've tried adjusting the gas block every which way. I've built several ARs. This was my first time buying one that someone else built, I went all out and the damn thing just won't work.

I've run it mostly with an Omega but as far as I can tell the issues are not suppressor related.
I've cleaned it head to toe once and cleaned the bolt twice today while on the bench with no luck.

Super unhappy that the upper is now messed up. Even if I can get this thing figured out I'm stuck with a scratched to hell upper on an almost new very pricey rifle

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_3439.jpeg
    IMG_3439.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_3440.jpeg
    IMG_3440.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 177
It has an adjustable gas block? If you have opened the gas up ESPECIALLY with a suppressor attached something is really wonky.

my 11.5 runs great with my Omega but if I take the can off the bolt doesn’t even cycle. That’s how much gas the suppressor adds to the system.

Reactions: D1gger
excellent point. I've tried the gas every which way. adjusted gas to lock the bolt back with an empty mag with both the suppressor and no suppressor. Won't function properly either way. Spent shells just kind of flop out of the ejection port. Some of them don't even make it and get stuck like the picture I posted.

I opened the gas just far enough to lock the bolt back on empty mag with no suppressor. Put suppressor on and the brass still will not fly. It just gets stuck between the bolt and the upper every 3 to 5 rounds.

You've managed to shoot 225 rounds on a dysfunctional rifle?

Does it have problems with and without the suppressor?

When you say gets stuck on the feed ramps is that without a round?

Is your bolt in backwards?

We need Pictures.... lots of pictures

Reactions: metalfarm
Does it have problems with and without the suppressor? Yes

When you say gets stuck on the feed ramps is that without a round? Both. Sometimes it just doesn't feet and the bolt gets stuck anyway

You mean the cam pin in the wrong side? No. This bolt wont even let you do that it has notches on the bottom.

Same ammo each time?

Strange, 99% of the world is overgassed.

Agb plugged up or not seated properly over barrel gas port?

Reactions: FatBoy
Ammo was mostly hornady match 140. Also had some federal non typical 140.

You'd think if the bolt locks back with no suppressor it would be chucking brass two bays over with the omega. Damn brass just flops on the bench like dead weight.

AGB off center did cross my mind but problems are not consistent.

If it’s locking back on an empty mag it has enough gas. This isn’t a gas block issue.

this has to be a bolt, extractor, ejector problem.

Does it have problems with and without the suppressor? Yes

When you say gets stuck on the feed ramps is that without a round? Both. Sometimes it just doesn't feet and the bolt gets stuck anyway

You mean the cam pin in the wrong side? No. This bolt wont even let you do that it has notches on the bottom.

Yeah just spitballing here. thought maybe somehow yours allowed the bolt and cam pin to go in from the back ejecting into the action.

I would definitely investigate the bolt catching on the feed ramps issue. Is it actually the bolt on the feed ramps or another part of the BCG catching on the upper? Maybe the barrel is slightly out of time?

Are there any unusual marks on the bolt or BCG?

Have you broke down the bolt?

If it’s locking back on an empty mag it has enough gas. This isn’t a gas block issue.

this has to be a bolt, extractor, ejector problem.

This^^^^

It sounds like the extractor or ejector.
Take the tip of your firing pin and push down on the ejector plunger, it should be under spring pressure yet compress smoothly. Next take the tip of your firing pin and push out the extractor retaining pin and inspect extractor spring, some have a rubber bushing or o-ring around the spring if it's missing I would call Wilson to see if there should be one there.

And if you don't feel comfortable doing this, as others have said call Wilson I'm sure they would be happy to fix the problem.

Reactions: bfoosh006
After a few boxes of ammo, I would have called Wilson, and got a prepaid label to ship it back for them to look at it.
No way in hell I'm buying a Wilson and doing my own work and investigating. Thing should cycle like a Swiss watch.

If I had to guess, your ejector has a broken/missing spring.

I would try a heavier buffer, willing to bet it corrects the problems, even if it doesn't lock back on an empty mag.

I have them in almost every rifle I build, including the 4 using the majority of WC parts.

After a few boxes of ammo, I would have called Wilson, and got a prepaid label to ship it back for them to look at it.
No way in hell I'm buying a Wilson and doing my own work and investigating. Thing should cycle like a Swiss watch.

If I had to guess, your ejector has a broken/missing spring.

Exactly this.

I just kept thinking "there's NO way this rifle isn't perfect it has to be something I'm doing wrong -let me tweak the gas one more time" and now I've got myself a chewed up upper receiver and a rifle that won't function.

The guy on the bench next to me said "did you trade in a car for that thing?" As I watched him shoot an AR with the same suppressor I was using -his functioned flawlessly and ejected the brass to the EXACT same spot every time. MIne ejects brass into a different zip code every time.

I'll just add that if you have messed with the AGB and still have not fixed this, it's a mechanical issue somewhere.
My 6.5 with a Wilson barrel has 2 distinct ejection patters if I don't adjust the gas. Unsuppressed, it's about 3:30-4. If I add the suppressor and don't adjust the gas block, it's more like 1:30-2 and it beats up the brass.
If I take 2 clicks out, it will eject pretty much to the same spot. If I go back to unsuprressed, without changing the GB, it won't lock back.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I'll just add that if you have messed with the AGB and still have not fixed this, it's a mechanical issue somewhere.
My 6.5 with a Wilson barrel has 2 distinct ejection patters if I don't adjust the gas. Unsuppressed, it's about 3:30-4. If I add the suppressor and don't adjust the gas block, it's more like 1:30-2 and it beats up the brass.
If I take 2 clicks out, it will eject pretty much to the same spot. If I go back to unsuprressed, without changing the GB, it won't lock back.

This thing is literally ejecting I a completely different spot every round. And more often than not the spent case just flops down on the bench with no force. Even suppressed. For 4 grand Wilson can send me a whole new rifle to make up for the banged up upper

It’s also possible that it’s over gassed. I assembled my 6.5 and ran into some issues. One issue I had was gas rings that fit too tightly. The bolt would not move smoothly in the bolt carrier. Does your BCG go into battery when you let the charge handle in slowly? Mine would not and I’d have to use the forward assist. I switched to the one piece gas ring and now it cycles smoothly.

I had a similar issue and a BCM extractor spring upgrade kit solved it.

I had similar problems with a Seekins 300 blk (full disclosure, I had it built from all Seekins parts but not by them). I sent it to them and at no cost (even though they didn't build it) and they repaired it free of charge. They paid shipping also. Very stand-up company. Turned out to be a loose (possibly defective) AGB. They replaced it with a new one and voila worked perfectly.

If the gas port was undersized on a brand new $4k rifle, I’d be more than a little disappointed also...send it to Wilson and give them a chance to make it right as well as diagnose the issue.

I will third the ejector check... sounds weak, broke or at the very least.. suspect.

Next while the bolt is out... check the claw of the extractor... both "ends" of the claw should allow the spent case to freely roll out of the claw... if the edges are to "pointy" those pointy edges might be holding on to the case rim.

From the internet...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!__________________________________________SuWHaxU-912480.jpg

I'm joining the extractor or ejector club... i had an VEPR12 that had similar issues and ended up being a faulty ejector.. I sent it back and they sent me a new one that ran like a champ.. also built a 6.4 grendel that did the same thing and after adding the BCM O ring amd spring, it never had another issue. It's worth a try before you send it back to Wilson.

Wilson will pay shipping both ways and get you fixed as well as fix the damage you caused by messing with it there a great customer service company. If your gas block adjustments don’t seem to be making a discernible difference it’s also possible the block port is slightly out of alignment with the port hole in the barrel. Just a thought

Brand new 6.5 tactical hunter. I've had it to the range twice for a total of about 225 rounds. I just can't get this thing to work properly. The first thing I noticed is that the brass doesn't eject very far. It just kind of falls out of the port. In fact often it doesn't even come out it gets stuck between the bolt and the upper and now the upper is all marred to hell. The bolt also gets stuck in the feed ramp.

I've tried adjusting the gas block every which way. I've built several ARs. This was my first time buying one that someone else built, I went all out and the damn thing just won't work.

I've run it mostly with an Omega but as far as I can tell the issues are not suppressor related.
I've cleaned it head to toe once and cleaned the bolt twice today while on the bench with no luck.

Super unhappy that the upper is now messed up. Even if I can get this thing figured out I'm stuck with a scratched to hell upper on an almost new very pricey rifle

Any suggestions?

Have you checked to make sure your gas rings are staggered on the bolt and not lined up creating a gas leak? As mentioned above, WC has one of the best warranties in the industry bar none...they will take care of the issue.

I’ve personally used their warranty on my CQB w/a gritty trigger. They sent me a prepaid shipping label, stoned the trigger, changed all the springs, shipped it back to me with a crap load of swag and even included a free magazine for my trouble. Bill Wilson & crew are top notch!

AvsFan:coffee:

UPDATE!

This was shipped back to Wilson about 2 weeks ago. They have not gotten to it yet.

Did you ever pull the bolt completely apart?

What did the ejector spring look like? Before you pulled it apart and when you'd depress it in and out - did it drag? If the spring looked great and it did not drag with the spring, did it drag without?

How did the extractor look and how were the springs / O-rings (if it uses them)?

I am not familiar with the Omega suppressor - is that considered a low back pressure can?

FWIW I had a hell of a time getting an SR25 to run suppressed b/c it was over gassed with an SRT Shadow - did a lot of things you're describing. I tried it all (buffers / springs). In the end I came to find that I had kinked ejector spring and I had to go to a low back pressure can (SF).

Hope you get it sorted out.

My Wilson 6.5 barrel has the same issue. It’s not an extractor problem, as there isn’t enough gas to cycle the bolt.

I forwarded this thread to Tressa @ WC. We’ll see what happens.

Wondering how things were resolved with this rifle ???

I sent it back to Wilson and I believe they put in a heavier bolt. They also fixed where the casings banged up the upper. Still pretty dang annoying this would happen. Also annoying to buy a lightweight rifle only to end up making it heavier.
I have not shot it since I got it back from them. I have ordered another 1911 from them though so I'm not mad at em lol

Are you sure they didnt mean "heavy duty" bolt? Sounds like they found a problem with the original bolt and upgraded you. Thats not going to make the gun any heavier.

I will third the ejector check... sounds weak, broke or at the very least.. suspect.

Next while the bolt is out... check the claw of the extractor... both "ends" of the claw should allow the spent case to freely roll out of the claw... if the edges are to "pointy" those pointy edges might be holding on to the case rim.

From the internet...
View attachment 7334062

I wanted to make sure this post didn't get missed. I had a ton of issues when I first started shooting 6mm Fat Rat. Working the corners of the extractor and angling the ejector spring solved all my issues. I also was able to find the right mags. My brass was getting torn up due to the incoming round bouncing around and catching on the sharp corner or the ejector spring, it would exhibit the marks you are seeing on the shoulder. My rims were also getting beat up due to the extractor getting jammed on the case Rim. It would be a bolt over round failure. Knocked the corners off and then no issues. I also learned that my gun doesn't like any curved mags, all my mags are straight 17rds.

Reactions: bfoosh006