• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wilson seating die?

prodigalson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2012
Butler, PA
Does anybody have experience with a Wilson chamber type seating die? And would you recommend one for a newb, such as me?

for accuracy its really pretty good, how many rounds do you plan on loading at a time. that was my first die, I got it from sinclairs, and I spoke to their tech support and they squared me away. I mostly use a redding comp seater now just cause I load more.

Last edited:
I used them for rifle cartridges. I won't speak the accuracy potential because I've not tested the difference. For me, it's more a matter of convenience. I prime a bunch of cases and then take my powder measure, B-Square arbor press and Wilson dies to the range and do load development. I have recently starting do simplex load development where you vary the seating depth and charge and it's not practical to do ahead of time.

I've only had one problem. My 300 Win Mag die would seat the bullet in far enough when using 220 grain Matchkings. I had to chuck the die in the lathe and turn a "crown" on the top of the die to let the larger part of the seating stem go into the die.

Brad

When I started using Wilson straight line chamber type seating dies, I found that my concentricity gauge was unnecessary. I do not bang away at paper once I have zeroed my rifle, so speed and volume is not particularly important to me. I hunt, but accuracy is critical, all the same.

If possible, when you have your barrel chambered, it's a good idea to have a blank Wilson die cut with the same reamer. BB

When I started using Wilson straight line chamber type seating dies, I found that my concentricity gauge was unnecessary. I do not bang away at paper once I have zeroed my rifle, so speed and volume is not particularly important to me. I hunt, but accuracy is critical, all the same.

If possible, when you have your barrel chambered, it's a good idea to have a blank Wilson die cut with the same reamer. BB

Apparently, I have a lot more reading and researching to do. Im completely new to this.and understand everything I have read so far, but its things like this I have no idea about.