• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wilson vld chamfer/reamer problem?

SPAK

Stupid can be fixed
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Alaska
Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone who uses a wilson case trimmer with their vld 30 deg chamfer tool (the one that uses the crank handle just like the trimmer) has had a problem with not being able to get an even chamfer all the way around the case mouth??

I have to rotate my case 180 and then a 1/4 turn then 180 deg again to get an even chamfer all around my case mouth on all my cases all brass. This is after the sizing, process, neck turning or on fired brass without the prep.

I called wilson and they said their bearings although square may or may not be concentric to their case holders.

has anyone else had a problem with this? Would the K&M vld tool be easier to use??

Thanks in advance!

Re: Wilson vld chamfer/reamer problem?

I have had this EXACT problem. It occured with my RCBS VLD on the trimmate also, and is intially why I had switched to Wilson.

I have found that the culprit in alot of cases is neck thickness irregularities. I started turning my necks and the chamfer improved. It also improved with the trimmate, so I think that was the major part of my initial problem.

I have tested my Wilson by turning the case like you have, and it was still uneven in the same places, so thats when I tried the neck turning.

Give it a shot, it will help, but I can't say it will completely fix the issue. I have not noticed any degredation in accuracy with a slightly uneven chamfer.

madd0c

Madd0c,

My necks are turned to within .0005" in neck thickness variation. The vld cutter/reamer puts the chamfer/cuts in the same place on the case regardless of what case it is when I index the wilson case holder.

I have had 2 Wilson shellholders that didn't hold the case concentric to the cutter.. One was .005" off, and the other was .006".

I emailed them, and they took 2 weeks to reply, and gave a very un-interested response that it was within their normal tolerance.

When I stood the trimmed cases upright, they were just cut off-square enough to see by eye. What difference this made I have no idea, but it bugged me, so I bought a third caseholder which fortunately was machined true, and no problems arisen since.

-1 for customer service tho from my experience!

Hmm, mine did clean up some after neck turning, but it still isn't perfect. Any ideas on how to ream or lap the holder to get it more concentric? I would bet one of the good gunsmiths on here might be able to true up our shell holders.

Anyone else with other input? I really don't want to grab new shellholders with the chance they too will not be concentric.

madd0c

Reaming the inside of the holder would only make an uneven fit I think (worse than present)
I bought fresh holder, because my gunsmith is over 2hrs away, and with fuel costs etc, it was cheaper and easier to order a new one.

Note that my 2 holders that were slightly off, were seperate calibres, so I actually got a decent holder second time around for my 308..
The 22-250 holder I use as it is, because it's just my hunting rifle, and can still hold .5moa if I do my part.

Maybe we are worrying to much about it, but it does bug me.
Good luck anyhow!!
smile.gif

giles.

Wasn't really thinking of reaming, more truing. Maybe something like lapping it with a steel rod and lapping compound.
Might have to try that on one knowing that if it screws it up, then I have to get a new one anyway.

madd0c

Bart Bobbitt's observation in 1979 on how he got his 5" groups with a 308 down to 3" at 600 yards:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.guns/...b0693e343ea2417

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">chamfered with the No. 5 easy-out.
Under a magnifying glass, the easy-outed cases had much cleaner chamfers
than the ones the Wilson tool was used on. </div></div>

No. 5 is used to remove broken bolts from 9/16 inch to 3/4 inch.
http://www.nationalwholesaletools.com/5pceasyoutscrewextractorset.aspx

2201785.jpg

how do you make sure the depth is uniform using the easy out?? is it not that crucial???

I think that is a cool idea...but probably just replicates TwoShoes use of the Lyman neck expander described in the Sticky on speeding up your reloading rate at the beginning of the thread. JMHO