• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Win Model 70 Canjar (sp?) Trigger

RMB

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2019
A friend recently had a death in the family (his uncle). The family was selling his firearms. I was invited to take a look.
Long story short I bought a Win 70 in 30 06. It appears to be an early 70's model. HOWEVER, it has a fiberglass custom stock and an older 2 x 9 Leopold scope. I was told that his uncle built it for a sheep hunt in the mid 70's.
So, bring the gun home. Clean the bore. And take some 168 grain loads to the range. The thing shoots 3/4" 5 shot group at 100 yards and is 2 1/2" high. WOW.
BUT, what I was really impressed with was the trigger. The trigger was so crisp and "clean". I usually shoot timney triggers and this trigger put the timneys to shame.
So I take the rifle to my gunsmith and after he inspects it he tells me that the rifle has a Canjar (sp?) Trigger. And the gauge reads at 2.25 pounds.
So, my questions are:
1) what is a canjar trigger?
2) when were the made?
3) are they safe?

Thanks in advance!

Canjar was an old dude who made triggers back when a nice trigger was a rarity. They and Kenyon’s are on all the old target rifles of people who wanted to seriously compete from, idk, the 40-70s? Yeah, they are safe so long as you don’t adjust them outside of their ranges. A drop test should prove its adjustment… safability?

Last edited:
They were made here in Denver.

Darn nice triggers.

Had one of their BR set triggers.
It was really slick and I was working on building my first LR rifle.
Shoulda learned more and kept that old Ruger bull barrel target rifle.
It shot darn well for an old factory rifle, just bedded and a trigger upgrade.

My dad had a Canjar trigger on his winchester model 70 pre 1964 220 swift. It was set at 2.5 lbs as you have discovered.

On his trigger, if you push the trigger forward, it would push a small metal tab forward, from the middle of the trigger shoe, and set at that point.

Now he had a trigger that released at 6 to 8oz (forget which). I assume that your trigger will do the same? That was what the Canjar was known for.

Unfortunately when the guy passed away his son wasn't interested in continuing the business and no one else picked it up. My Dad's trigger eventually malfunctioned and he couldn't find any gunsmith that would fix it.

Found a link that gives a bit more info.

Last edited: