• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 1894 restoration

LuckyLuke80

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2023
Kamiah, Idaho
Hey everyone. I have an 1894 Winchester 32 special that I inherited from my late dad. It’s been passed down for a few generations now. That said it will NEVER be up for sale or trade due to sentimental value. So, obviously sale value doesn’t matter to me, but I’m curious about restoring it. The wood is solid, but has some minor dents and scratches due to age. The steel is not rusty, but the finish is worn off on the barrel and action. Basically I’m wanting to know if anyone can give me some pointers on restoration of this old beauty. I’ll pull the stock off to strip and refinish, but I’m curious about how I should refinish the steel. Should I just have it blued? Or some other option? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpeg
    IMG_1376.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    753.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1374.jpeg
    IMG_1374.jpeg
    578.8 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Makinchips208
Don't touch that!!!! You will ruin its value if you do any restoration beyond careful clean-up.

That has great patina and honest wear. Make sure it is lubricated and working well, mechanically. Clean the barrel with brushes and bore cleaner. You can put some 'wood food' on the stock. Pledge actually works fine. Or something like butchers wax, lightly rubbed on.

But do not do ANY refinishing or restoration. That's a somewhat valuable gun. The .32 Special is a great cartridge and you can shoot the daylights out of it! But clean, do not restore!

Cheers and thanks for sharing!

Sirhr

The only person I'd let touch that is Doug Turnbull. It'll cost you, but it's money we'll spent.

Be better off buying one that someone else has restored or a better condition 'shooter.' A Turnbull Restoration on that will cost about $4k and, honestly, you'll never justify that. The gun is perfect as is... OP should just do mechanical cleaning/restoration which it is unlikely to need. And keep it nicely oiled!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Don't touch that!!!! You will ruin its value if you do any restoration beyond careful clean-up.

That has great patina and honest wear. Make sure it is lubricated and working well, mechanically. Clean the barrel with brushes and bore cleaner. You can put some 'wood food' on the stock. Pledge actually works fine. Or something like butchers wax, lightly rubbed on.

But do not do ANY refinishing or restoration. That's a somewhat valuable gun. The .32 Special is a great cartridge and you can shoot the daylights out of it! But clean, do not restore!

Cheers and thanks for sharing!

Sirhr
Yeah I hear you. My dad shot a few deer with it and at least a couple elk that I can remember. My brothers and I have hunted with it. It’s an awesome shooter and is very accurate. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah I hear you. My dad shot a few deer with it and at least a couple elk that I can remember. My brothers and I have hunted with it. It’s an awesome shooter and is very accurate. Thanks for the advice!
Much rather someone 'ask' than come and show off the 94 they just sanded down or had "hot Blued" at the local dip tank!

Gun is a gem! Thanks for sharing.

Sirhr

A Turnbull Restoration on that will cost about $4k and, honestly, you'll never justify that.

And after you spend that, it will no longer be the gun that was handed down for many generations. Oh it'll be the same model, and the same serial number, but it won't really be the same gun. It won't be the gun your father or grandfather hunted with.

And after you spend that, it will no longer be the gun that was handed down for many generations. Oh it'll be the same model, and the same serial number, but it won't really be the same gun. It won't be the gun your father or grandfather hunted with.
Exactly. It will be shiny, but 3 generations of sweat, blood, dna and history will have been erased!

Cheers,

Sirhr

That is a fine rifle, I would clean and lube it only . You mention sentimental value in its present condition . By restoring it you are erasing parts of it's history , every ding has a story and worn bluing shows it was handled by family members. Just my opinion, just seems a shame to change a thing about it.

the op doesn’t have to claim me as his lil bro if he doesn’t want to… 😀

But I’ll share a scary story anyways.

Some relative (not dad or my brother) borrowed this rifle, then pawned it, then the generous gun store owner called dad, so dad went and redeemed the rifle!
Literally was days away from loosing an heirloom cause someone needed a few bucks or didn’t know what they had.

Dad claimed ownership from that day forward since he had to pay to get it back.

There was a broken firing pin at some point that dad also paid to get replaced, which could be par for the course on such an old tool?

the op doesn’t have to claim me as his lil bro if he doesn’t want to… 😀

But I’ll share a scary story anyways.

Some relative (not dad or my brother) borrowed this rifle, then pawned it, then the generous gun store owner called dad, so dad went and redeemed the rifle!
Literally was days away from loosing an heirloom cause someone needed a few bucks or didn’t know what they had.

Dad claimed ownership from that day forward since he had to pay to get it back.

There was a broken firing pin at some point that dad also paid to get replaced, which could be par for the course on such an old tool?
Yes I’ll claim you as my little bro! Yes that story is true, and yes there was a broken firing pin about the same time. Came from another family member dry firing the rifle-at least that is what the gunsmith said after he repaired it. Needles to say this rifle has not been dry fired since.

Reactions: Makinchips208
I would look to preserve it, ensure wood is preserved in it’s well used/loved condition, bore does not go south and metal maintains it current patina but free of major rust. This is a jewel!

Reactions: LuckyLuke80
I have that rifle chambered in .32WS only in an octagon long barrel version. My dad told me his grandfather bought it new. It was my dad's go to whitetail rifle as a young man. Perfect for the thick woods in northern Maine where longer shots were a rarity. Many deer and dare say a black bear or two on that rifle. I too have used it on whitetail and pig hunts. It is better shape then yours but I would not even think about touching except for routine cleaning ect. Too many memories to be washed away by a "restoration".

Last edited:
Sure new one are beautiful, but they're supposed to be, they're new ones, but even then there's something lacking. A rifle like this, in spite of all the, what some people would call "imperfections", it's still beautiful. It's those lines and dings and wear that make it more beautiful. It's like Milf Monday in the Bear Pit. ;)

Cool rifle. As stated a few times, if it shoots good and functions correctly, leave it be!!

The family history is worth more than that thing would ever be to me.

Reactions: LuckyLuke80
Cool rifle. As stated a few times, if it shoots good and functions correctly, leave it be!!

The family history is worth more than that thing would ever be to me.
Yes sir! Thanks to all the good feedback it’s going to stay just as it is. It’s a solid rifle and I still shoot it occasionally, although it’s been a while since I’ve shot it. Thank you for the input