• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 52C Bullgun

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    After decades of active and passive searching I located a Winchester Mod. 52 C bullgun. I have seen dozens if not hundreds of ads and auctions where a heavy target was listed as a bullgun. The true bullgun has a 1.25” x 7/8” x 28” barrel and weighs 12#.

This is the only one I have seen that is a true bullgun. Fortunately it is in new condition and appears unfired. The scope block screws had not been removed. Zero finish wear on bolt or high edges.

I stripped it down and removed the grease and crud. Cleaned the bore of dust and grease and bore scoped it. Adjusted trigger, added scope blocks and mounted a 20x Unertl.

Will sight and test when conditions permit.

IMG_8092.jpeg
    IMG_8091.jpeg
    IMG_8090.jpeg

nice what are you planning to use for a stock

I have the stock it’s just out of it for cleaning. Old varnish does not like cleaning solutions.

Reactions: deltawiskey
    So not too much power for a 22. I’ve got a 24x I’ve been debating on keeping or selling away. Wasn’t sure what it would be good for. It’s a monster of a piece

Nice find, true bull barrel rifles are rare and don't change hands much.

The 52C I got from the CMP shoots lights out with everything but Eley. My 52C sporter is also very accurate.

Reactions: RTH1800
    I degreased it with lacquer thinner and oiled it to prevent rust. Bore cleaned up with a couple of patches and some solvent. Looks perfect.
    I did find a very cool little Win 52 bore guide I will post up photos of this evening.
    It's back in stock and ready for a trip to the range over weekend.

The 1950 B Bull gun I had measured 1.125 at the tenon and .875 at the muzzle.... This and the BSA Martini are only guns I have ever sold that I still kick me self for at least once a week ... And I have bought and sold quite a few guns

There is a nice C on Gunbrokers right now that the seller has listed as a Bull Target It is not a bull gun but a regular heavy....

So not too much power for a 22. I’ve got a 24x I’ve been debating on keeping or selling away. Wasn’t sure what it would be good for. It’s a monster of a piece

The one on my 52 is a 24x IIRC. Not too much scope at all for fun with a .22!

OP… amazing Find! Beautiful!!!

Sirhr

These are both custom Winchester 52 bore guides from the ‘50’s era. Both maker marked. One is an Al Freeland the other a known maker from KC. H G Baucher

View attachment 8339835View attachment 8339836

Thanks for those… I’ll be turning up one post-haste! Can you post some more pix with a vernier on it? Or some measurements?

Very cool!

Cheers! Sirhr

Fun things to do with a model 52 and a Unertl!

BTW @168BTHPM mine does not like Eley either. Standard velocity CCI… holes in holes! But spendy British target ammo… not so much!

Cheers!

Sirhr

Fun things to do with a model 52 and a Unertl!

BTW @168BTHPM mine does not like Eley either. Standard velocity CCI… holes in holes! But spendy British target ammo… not so much!

Cheers!

Sirhr
    Mine did really good with RWS....

I owned a true 52 bull gun at one time. Shot 3/4 P small bore with it. Heavy beast at the end of the offhand stage.

Here with data on boreguide. @sirhrmechanic .

It’s based off a C bolt so I will give relevant dimensions of both the bolt and bore guide.
    I found an extra 52C bolt in the drawer BTW. Picked it up for parts years ago. It appears unused.
    Body diameter. Both .685
    Bore guide length overall 5.55”
    Bore hole .228 or near that. Chamfered on both ends.
    Length at flat area 2.25 thickness .400
    Length of second flat area 1.50 thickness .550
    Distance from front edge of guide to back edge of retaining pin 4.50
    This could be moved back as it has slight play as you go back and forth.
    IMG_8129.jpeg

Last edited: