• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Winchester M70 Picatinny Base Question

Arc Light

Sheeple Herder
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Mountainside
    Quick question for you guys. I've got a 1990's production Winchester Model 70 in .308 that I would like to add a picatinny base to. I noticed when looking at Leupold Backcountry picatinny bases, the one I could find says "Winchester Model 70 SA-Post 2001". Yet EGW, for example, makes no distinction in their bases for pre or post 2001. Did Winchester change something in 2001 that I need to be aware of when ordering a base? Appreciate the help.

Dude, I have one similar model 70 and I’ve had tons of friggin problems getting bases/rails for that rifle.

To the point where I’ve had to have them made for me.

(Insert a long drawn out attempt to get Seekins to make one for me. He simply took my money and never bothered to make one… which is reason I never buy anything from Seekins.)

If you need one made an absolutely cannot find one for that action, reach out to me and I’ll tell you who to have meKe you one.

There is a period of time where Winchesters were being produced with multiple hole dimensions, which caused problems for some owners trying to put rails on as opposed to individual bases.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Arc Light
    Dude, I have one similar model 70 and I’ve had tons of friggin problems getting bases/rails for that rifle.

To the point where I’ve had to have them made for me.

(Insert a long drawn out attempt to get Seekins to make one for me. He simply took my money and never bothered to make one… which is reason I never buy anything from Seekins.)

If you need one made an absolutely cannot find one for that action, reach out to me and I’ll tell you who to have met you one.

There is a period of time where Winchesters were being produced with multiple whole dimensions, which caused problems for some owners trying to put rails on as opposed to individual bases.

Damn, that sucks about Seekins. Surprised to hear that actually.

If I can't find one locally at Cabelas or a local gun shop that fits, I'll definitely reach out to you.

Reactions: LG65CM
    The two changes were 1984 when they made a short action (previously 243/308 were LA), and then 2006 when they opened the receiver for the WSM’s and carried that to the FNH marked guns.

The post 2006 size was adopted across the board and all FN made short actions.

your 1990 308 should take the regular Model 70 SA rail that is not specifically a WSM, post 2008 Winchester, or FNH rail.

It appears that the screw hole spacing on certain M70s are not the same... so that can be a PITA.

Its primarily an issue on long actions, but I’d not be surprised with anything made in the late 80s / early 90s.

Talley makes a one piece mount for Winchester model 70, the only thing you will need to know is pre 64 or post 64, that is for hole spacing and short or long action.

Reactions: Arc Light
    Have you called Murphy Precision? They can make pic bases for just about anything.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to find something on the shelf that I could get quickly. If not, I'll check out Murphy Precision.

I'd still call them with your hole spacing measurements- they might have something on the shelf

I have a 1992 model 70 in .223 short action obviously. What is so difficult about finding a base?

I just searched online for a post 64 SA mod70 and bought the one I wanted.

If you're having so much trouble, measure the distance between screw holes, call EGW and tell them those distances, and they will point you to the one they have that fits your action.

I went with weaver 20 MOA on this one but have an EGW on a different model 70. Both are good products but I think I'll do Nightforce on my next model 70.

I have a 1992 model 70 in .223 short action obviously. What is so difficult about finding a base?

I just searched online for a post 64 SA mod70 and bought the one I wanted.

If you're having so much trouble, measure the distance between screw holes, call EGW and tell them those distances, and they will point you to the one they have that fits your action.

I went with weaver 20 MOA on this one but have an EGW on a different model 70. Both are good products but I think I'll do Nightforce on my next model 70.

What threw me for a loop was Leupold stating "post 2001" on their website. I thought maybe their was something I needed to be aware of since my gun is from around 1995. Must be just Leupold because I don't see that stipulation from any other manufacturer.

Reactions: stello1001