• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Farrell Industries, vs Near Manufacturing, vs Murphy Precision one piece bases for Winchester Model 70 Super Grade.

cjdun1234

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2023
New Hampshire
Greetings!

I recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .308 Win, and I am trying to figure out which one-piece picatinny base to purchase. The brands I keep seeing appear are Farrell Industries, Near Manufacturing, and Murphy Precision. I would like to purchase the highest quality, strongest base available, preferably in steel with a recoil lug. Additionally, what base MOA is typically recommended for .308? I do not have previous experience shooting this cartridge.

Much thanks in advance!

Any 1 of those 3 are extremely high quality and have excellent reputations.

I would not hesitate to use any of the 3.

I have used Ferrell base and rings previously and they worked perfect.

If this is a pre 64, look at pre64.com.
I like rails just find and period correct is cool too.

Reactions: cjdun1234
Greetings!

I recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .308 Win, and I am trying to figure out which one-piece picatinny base to purchase. The brands I keep seeing appear are Farrell Industries, Near Manufacturing, and Murphy Precision. I would like to purchase the highest quality, strongest base available, preferably in steel with a recoil lug. Additionally, what base MOA is typically recommended for .308? I do not have previous experience shooting this cartridge.

Much thanks in advance!
I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about my bases. Without knowing more, I'd suggest going with a 20 MOA base. This will work with probably 98% of the scopes you might run, and will give you an extra ~200 yards on the long end before you need to hold under the reticle.

And you won't go wrong with any of my competitors bases either. I'd use either of them without hesitation.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about my bases. Without knowing more, I'd suggest going with a 20 MOA base. This will work with probably 98% of the scopes you might run, and will give you an extra ~200 yards on the long end before you need to hold under the reticle.

And you won't go wrong with any of my competitors bases either. I'd use either of them without hesitation.
Wow, thanks for the reply! I'm sold on one of your bases with a few parameters. I am planning to use a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm on this rifle. Additionally this is a current production model 70 (made in Portugal, FN barrel). Also planning on using Badger Ordnance Max-50 rings. What height do you reccomend?

Also, do your bases use a recoil lug?

Last edited:
Ken Farrell is hands down one of the nicest people in the firearms industry. His products are well worth it. Every time i have been lucky enough to call over there and he answers you end up getting 30minute education.

All three are excellent companies. My personal recommendation is Ken Farrell. Years back I was trying to complete a project in a hurry and didn't know what combination of rings and mounts would do exactly what I wanted. I called Farrell and Ken shipped me a selection of rings/mounts with no up front charge with the proviso I pay for what I used and ship the rest back (no restocking fee either). The companies I deal with are chosen for quality product and more importantly customer service, and with that exchange Farrell topped the list.

All three are top notch.I’ve dealt with Cameron Murphy and he was exceptional helping me with a base for a unique project .

I’ve used Murphy and Farrell. No issues with the Farrell base (though they are tall) but really liked the fit and finish on the Murphy base. That’d be my pick.

I’ve used Murphy and Farrell. No issues with the Farrell base (though they are tall) but really liked the fit and finish on the Murphy base. That’d be my pick.
they make shorts versions of all of there rails!

Wow, thanks for the reply! I'm sold on one of your bases with a few parameters. I am planning to use a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm on this rifle. Additionally this is a current production model 70 (made in Portugal, FN barrel). Also planning on using Badger Ordnance Max-50 rings. What height do you reccomend?

Also, do your bases use a recoil lug?
With your scope, you should be fine with the lowest rings you can find. Typically, "Lows" will work with up to 52mm objective lenses. 56+ will need mediums. High rings generally aren't needed unless you've got some sort of handguard over the barrel.

Unfortunately, it isn't possible for me to machine a recoil lug with the way I fixture and machine the underside of my bases. :-(

I can only say the TRG base I bought from Richard Near is excellent as are the rest of his products. I don’t care for the laser engraving, but that’s not really a big complaint or factor in its performance as a product.

Thank you everyone for the advice! I have gone ahead and purchased a base from Murphy Precision. I'm looking forward to setting up my rifle and getting to the range!

Reactions: Coejro