• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester mid 70 7wsm ?

jackdaddy

Minuteman
Mar 18, 2010
Stover, MO
Don't have any experience starting a build using a barrelled action off a Winchester and looking for some opinions and or bad experiences. Now I currently just have a USO on top of stock winchester....

Pack up your rifle and head North. You can stop by either GA Precision or Cresent Customs for all of your 7wsm needs.
About an hour drive +/- given traffic from Harrisonville. You can pick up a stock at Manners and rings at Badger Ord.
One stop shopping in North Kansas City!

My 7wsm was built by Moon when he was still at GA, it rocks!

I appreiate your words i know moon,tom and George they are definitely top of the line builders craftsman in the field of long range and bad ass weapons in general. I have talked to moon a few times he is just waiting g my arrival I was just curious if anybody had build of there own that was off a factory winchester action and if it held up and was a tac driver or just a good shooter.

Why not? Solid action, but won't have the plug-play parts that a 700 rem does, but nobody does... My first suggestion would be to start reloading that thing...

Yea I definitely need to start reloading ammo is getting harder and harder to find for it...I have never reloaded anything besides a 12ga kinda nervous to start loading my own rifle rounds. I normally pay my brother to do my reloading but he has no dies for 7wsm.

I had GAP build off my M70 action. It's a 7WSM, 26" 5R Bartlein Barrel, and Manners T3 stock. It's nothing fancy but shoots outstanding. My first try at 917yds didn't do too bad on this 10" plate. I'm sure a better shooter could really tighten the group up a lot. This was my first attempt at this range. I had it built mainly for antelope hunting in S.E. Colorado. We hunt a private ranch S.W. of Lamar and you can see to the horizon in every direction.

My load is:
65.80gr H1000
CCI BR2 Primers
Winchester brass
180gr Berger hunting VLD
2.2475" Base to ogive
2,880fps @ 57 deg, alt. 1,374ft
100yd C/C 5 round group 0.116"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 14
Seems there is nothing but good opinions on the m70action I do believe my first couple moves will be new bbl,stock, and new bolt knob. Kinda looking forward to this build trying out a new action cresent customs here I come....