• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Model 100

lash

Swamp Rat
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
Vintage but not snipery. This is the rifle that led me down the cherry path towards precision rifle shenanigans.

It holds minute of meat when called upon to do so.

Anyone else have one like this?

4111ACC8-01A9-4BD1-A158-1E952DA2B6BB.jpeg

2B12213E-D187-4DF3-881B-E430D2BB6D5F.jpeg

60AECC13-BCFF-4E41-9207-E856EFAFCE66.jpeg

I wish that I had a dollar for every one that was brought to me frozen shut after being put away dirty at the end of deer season. They had to be hammered open just to get them out of the wood so they could be freed up. That was a fucked up design on Winchester's part.

• Haha
Reactions: sandwarrior
Never had that problem. I guess that cleaning it afterwards was a good idea?

Never had that problem. I guess that cleaning it afterwards was a good idea?
Pull it out of the wood and clean the gas system before storing it and you'll be fine.
Shoot surplus ammo and put it away w/o cleaning it, and someone will be taking a rubber mallet to the bolt handle under the principal of "If it jams force it, and if it breaks it needed replacing anyway".

Reactions: lash
I wish that I had a dollar for every one that was brought to me frozen shut after being put away dirty at the end of deer season. They had to be hammered open just to get them out of the wood so they could be freed up. That was a fucked up design on Winchester's part.
Yeah, they ain't the best ever, but they're still a pretty good rifle. Handy is probably their best asset. These and the 88's. And, no I would probably not be taking the 600 yd. shot at dusk with one of these. They hold minute of deer and elk just fine.

Like most semi-auto's cleaning is a really good thing.

Mine’s a 308 and as @sandwarrior said, it is a handy little rifle. Not a precision distance rifle, but even with cheap box hunting ammo, it holds under 2 Moa and gets the job done.

Even though mine is a post ‘64, which means it has embossed “engraving”, it is still walnut and feels good in the hands, comes to the eye quickly and works.

I took it in trade and have never regretted it. I have lots of “better” rifles, but this one doesn’t get short shrift here.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZG47A
I think that I’ll take mine out to the range next time I go and run a few rounds through it.

Reactions: Bravo6
Let us know how it shoots. I don’t see these as precision rifles to use for tight groups or competitions. I see mine as a meat getter and it fits that purpose just fine. Best part to me is that, like you found out, they can be found for cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZG47A and Bravo6
Let us know how it shoots. I don’t see these as precision rifles to use for tight groups or completions. I see mine as a meat getter and it fits that purpose just fine. Best part to me is that like you found out, they can be found for cheap.
Right on man, hoping I can kill some running hogs or coyotes with it in the next couple weeks, going to take it shooting first soon

My dad bought one in 308 when he got back from Vietnam in 1969. He shot a lot of deer through the years. Then I learned to hunt with it and eventually I bought my own rifle. About 10 years ago he handed it down to my son and he shot his first buck a few years later. We never had any issues with until yesterday. The son and I went to the range just to make sure everything is good for deer season. Twice it shot 2 rounds with one trigger pull. Did some google research and found there was a recall for that I believe years ago. My dad said the recall was done. This week I’ll have to tear it down and see if it has the updated firing pin failed? Anyone else have this issue come up?

Not that I’ve noticed on mine. I’d say it’s something that can probably be fixed though.

Better not let the alphabet boys hear about your multiple discharges. 😁

I’ve inherited a pre 64 in 284. I’ve never even shot it but it’s in great condition. Just need to find some ammo for it. It would be cool to shoot a deer with it this year for nostalgia reasons.

I’ve inherited a pre 64 in 284. I’ve never even shot it but it’s in great condition. Just need to find some ammo for it. It would be cool to shoot a deer with it this year for nostalgia reasons.
For what it’s worth, I shoot regular off the shelf .308 hunting rounds in mine with no issue. I just have stayed away from things like Superformance ammo, since they tend to be higher pressure rounds. I probably could hand load for it, but haven’t seen the need to do so.

I hav some buddies who think they are the only deer rifle made. I killd a truckld of deer in the past with a 740 carbine w 180 RN bullets. It was minute of deer and those 180’s wood do a job on deer!! And if we still ran dogs I wood break it out again

Reactions: ZG47A and lash
When I was a kid and my mom wanted me to have something to hunt with (My father, who was a shotgun man, had just died and she realized hunting/shooting was one of the things that got my mind off of that worry) We got a Marlin .30/30. I would have have been so better off with a Remington 740 or a Win 100. (Or a Savage 99 in .250)

Oh the decisions we could have made with the knowledge we have today