• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester model 70 help needed.

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
My father in law wants to hand down a pre 64 Model 70 to his son. He and I have thought this rifle has been cursed for a while, as he has never been able to sight it in. Well I took it from him to help out and there are a number of issues I have come across. I am no gunsmith, not that is needed, nor am I a model 70 expert so any help or guidance is appreciated.

1. After taking the old sights and bases off, I noticed it seems the rear base section of the receiver sits lower than the forward section. Looks like the wrong pair of bases was used so the scope had a very odd cant making it impossible to zero. Is this true? Hopefully I am explaining this correctly.

2. The threaded holes are full of gunk. It looks like some one tried to bed each piece of a 2 piece rail system, but got it in the threads real bad. What is the best way to remove this gunk with out messing up the receiver. I was thinking of running a tap through it, what is the thread pitch?

3. Any other information or points of interest I should look at before throwing a scope on and getting it zeroed?

First, sounds like someone put a bad base... and did a bad job.

Thread pitch should be a 6-48. But check! A tap is the best way to clean out the gunk... But you probably want two taps. A starting tap and a bottoming tap. One will clean to the point that the bottom tap will start without cross-threading. But if you have any doubts... take to a gunsmith! You don't want to mess up a pre-64.

For bases and supplies... check out New England Custom Guns in New Hampshire. They have some first-rate stuff for the older rifles.

When fitting, a bit of Blue Loctite helps.

Post a picture of the rifle! Not only are they beautiful and great/accurate/smooth rifles, but one that has been handed-down in a family is extra special!

Cheers and congrats!

Sirhr

If you truly feel that this rifle is cursed you should get as far away from it as you can , I will gladly take on the responsibility dealing with a cursed rifle ! pm me !
Seriously though contact Chad at LRI he is very adept with Winchesters among others !

So the story of the curse continues. I was fact checking the story of this rifle, and turns out it is not a Pre 64, but instead a 1965. Very close to the cutoff when the serial number is compared to several of the Winchester serial number publications. Makes me concerned for some of the other rifles he owns. He has a Model 94 that he claims is from 1905, but I dont know if I want to know anymore. Maybe ignorance is bliss?

Sirhr, Thanks for your guidance. I assumed either you or Chad from LRI would offer some advice here. I am going to do you a favor, and not post pics of this thing. I am not sure if the curse is able to be communicated via computer screens and the likes. I will update on if this thing ever finds zero though.

On the base holes get them cleaned up before running anything through them. Acetone works pretty well. It was sometime in the early fifties that Winchester even started drilling and tapping [corrected] the model 70.

Again, before running any tool through anything, you also need to identify exactly what vintage the rifle is. A pre-'64 is a control round feed and the post-'63 is a push round feed. There is a difference in length and the height of the rear ring of the action. Is it round, flat or does it have a cut with little ribs running lengthwise of the action. Knowing that will determine what the correct bases are for it.

To see the difference in a control vs. push feed, you only need look at the bolt. A control feed has a blade alongside the bolt. A push feed has nothing on the side of the bolt. There is a small "sharkfin" button at the top left rear of the action. Depress that and work the bolt. It should come right out of the rifle. Then you can see the bolt by itself.

Pics would help immensely.

Last edited:
sandwarrior- It is push feed. Here are some pics. Let me know if you need more detailed ones.

edit: those uploaded horribly. I will see what I can do about that.

Attachments

• photo78797.jpg
    photo78797.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 23
  • photo78798.jpg
    photo78798.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 28
  • photo78799.jpg
    photo78799.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 24
Here is a good base for most anything you want to do:
Again clean it up first, get some blue (soft -red is hard) Loctite to hold screws in once torqued.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/28...hoCVcEQAvD_BwE

If just wanting a simpler mount for hunting:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Redfi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Picatinny is like weaver except they are spaced at given intervals. Even though these are Redfield, the patent is Weaver. There is no set spacing to them so either way you put the bases on (tall one on the rear reciever ring) you would have to change the scope ring spacing to move it to a picatinny. So, for the few extra bucks, I'd go the Picatinny.

Last edited: