• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Model 70, whats wrong with them?

There is nothing wrong with a Winchester. As other have said there isn't the range of parts but you can still get what you need.

Stocks: McMillan, Manners, HS Precision
Triggers: Timney & Jewell
Bases: Farrel, EGW, Weaver & Brownells
Firing Pin and Spring: Tubb
Bottom Metal: CDI Precision (need to modify receiver)

Here are some of mine:

6mmBR

30-221

25-06AI

223 7 twist

223 8 twist

280AI

223AI 6.5 twist (at the front)

New PT&G's DBM installed
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-fn-spr-owners-pt-gs-new-dbm.html#post2696022
ptgdbm002.jpg

Nice! I finally found my Extreme Weather model 70 in .308! will be in tomorrow. If anyone is looking for one, Ron Shirk has one left.

Great looking rifles there Seddo. Who did the 'smithing?

What is the Mod70 PT&G bolt going to do that the current one doesn't? Stay in one piece?

Cheers, Chris

That looks fantastic! But I'm told the bottom metal is only for the old AIAE Mk1 single stack mags.

That is correct.

This offers a DBM with zero mods to the metal action unlike the AICS system from CDI... and in return you still get AI quality mags with the ability to run ammo up to ~2.950" COAL without the mods necessary to do the same with AICS mags to achieve the same. As a hand loader I can then run my bullets up to or into the lands with long VLD bullets like the 180 JLK LB-VLD in this Winchester Stealth... transforming the 308 into nearly a 6.5 creedmoor, LOL. All at a cheaper price point CDI's AICS system or FN's conversion and proprietary mags. The down side is your limited to 5 round mags which isn’t an issue for me on this rifle but YMMV.

Great looking rifles there Seddo. Who did the 'smithing?

What is the Mod70 PT&G bolt going to do that the current one doesn't? Stay in one piece?

Cheers, Chris

Rockdoc, about 4 smiths in total as it was over a 5-6 year period they were rebarreled.

I have ordered one of the PTG DBM's, to date i have been using CDI and maching the action for them to work. If they are good i will get a couple more.

I've got a classic sporter chambered In 300wby that shoots 3/4 MOA all day bedded in the factory wood stock. I'm going to have lane precision rebarrel it in 7-300 this year. I've never felt a better trigger in my life!!

First, We gotta separate the various kinds of actions.

The pre-'64 actions were controlled round feed. I'm thinking from either some time in the '50's or right after WWII they went to the coned breech? My late 40's rebarreled to .257 Wby had a flat face. Maybe that was a 54/70 change?

Then there was the post '63 which were push round feed (PRF). Very much like a Rem 700 except a better extractor and safety.

Then for the WSM/WSSM's they had a controlled round push feed. Which I really like except it isn't as strong as the CRF or PRF.

And of course the post '94 push round feeds.

there used to be a lot of aftermarket parts for these rifles. That is until we got into the composite stock era. By that time, Win 70's were replaced by the Rem 700 crowd.

I have a CRF in .300 WSM, a CRPF in 25 WSSM, two PRF's one in 6mmAI and the other in .308 Norma. And one more PRF in .270 that will go out the door when the deal gets done. They all shoot very well. Definitelly within hunting accuracy for the hunters and well within target/tactical accuracy for those rifles.

Say sir, is the Parker Hale (M82 I believe? the one with the closed top Mauser action + M14 mags) a straight up CRF action?

If I was building a custom action, thats exactly what Id base it on, a kinda Parker Hale clone short action with M14 mags(or maybe AI mags depending on what users want) and then a Parker Hale clone long action using AI mags, both using the closed top Mauser style action. Call me crazy, but thats the most badass action I ever seent.

Sounds interesting, the Parker hale is a controlled round feed action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk