• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester or Remington ???

holy cow

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 22, 2010
    South East Ohio
    I have been looking at a Remington BDL and a Winchester Coyote lately to build off of for a future varmint rifle. My intentions are to only rebarrel, have action trued up, bedded and trigger work done to it some day. 1 of the 2 is to be built as lite as it can in 243. I like to do a lot of walking and still hunting so i do not want to lug around a boat anchor. I am leaning towards the Winchester for some unknown reason. I have heard the actions being built today are alot nicer than in the recent past. Would like some comments and some suggestions that you have and for those who have a Winchester, what do ya think and how well do you like them.....THANKS......DAN

Re: Winchester or Remington ???

The new Winchesters are built by FN. It may cost a lil more to have the Winchester action rebarreled since it'll require a clearance cut for the extractor.

I'd get the winchester. Between the two Winchester/FN actions are better. There is better aftermarket support for the Remington but in regards to overall quality you'll be better off with the Winchester.

+1 for Winnie.

I like it better than my Remington 700's

I have both a Remington 700 and a Winchester Model 70.
    I prefer the Winchester.

I will tell you this.... the Winchesters SUCK as finding optic bases for... there are about 4 or 5 different hole patterns... which can get VERY frustrating to get the right one...

But all in all... its a personal preference... I have a couple of each and like them all.

Matt.

I just got an FN SPR A1, I own 2 Rem 700s, one 7mm mag and 700 SP 308. I just scratch my head at the push feed thing, but I REALLY like the trigger shoe on the FN. I also like how you can take the FN Bolt apart to clean it.

Accuracy? Dunno, I bet in the right hands they would all perform about the same. I do really well with the FN SPR, and I think that is just the stock being so much more comfortable than the 700 SP.

I am a terrible gun evaluator though, I generally like just about everything, minus my desert eagle 44 mag. Stupid boat anchor.

Go with the FN SPR action off CDNN sports for 350 and build a rifle around that. You'll be under 2 grand for a very good shooting stick. And it'll be what you want.

xdeano

I would suggest at least looking at the Savage 10 Predator Max I. The regular Predator is cheaper, lighter, a tad shorter, and lacks the Accue-Stock. A standard Predator .223 has been shooting well in our more recent FV200 Matches.

Greg, i have a Savage 10 precision carbine in 223 and love it. Shoots great with the 55gr. v-max factory ammo i bought to site it in. Going to work some loads up and change out the trigger and i bet it will get better yet. Just can not get used to the trigger. I am going to call SSS and order 1 of his triggers and try it out. Looking for something different this time and in a 243. On your post for the hide rifle project, I would love to see them do a Savage build. I would be in for that. Like to see how it would stack up to the other builds. I think you would be very surprized.

Chevrolet. Oh wait, wrong debate. Not much difference in the argument between the trucks and the guns though. Both get the job done and have their attributes. Get your hands on a couple of different models at local stores, including the Savage and see which one suits you. The Remington is definitely easier to find aftermarket parts for, but I would not let that be the only point that would sale me to buying a Remington. You will also find it a little easier to find a gunsmith that will work on a Remington.

I have both and they both have good and bad points. Its a lot easier to get parts for a remmy but you can still get them for a Winny you just cant be as brand picky.

My next build will be on a winny, thats only because i have an action i picked up pretty cheap. If you want to go the winny route and plan to use a BDM try picking up an old W670 without a floorplate as a starting point. They are easier to find as a bargain in australia but having said that i have picked up a few good M70's as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=229541

I know its a BARF15 link, but its a good comparison.

Take a gander at the quality of the recievers.

that thread was one of the main reasons i didnt go with remington or savage </div></div>

So what fountain of knowledge did you glean from that post on Barf15. Please enlighten us, since at least 80% of the membership here uses Rem 700's, so tell us why the quality of our receivers generally suck, and why your brand is superior.

Facts, and figures please.

Thanks,

Bob

Its personal preference, but the little things really stick out when you look at a receiver naked.

Just from the pics, and readings on here, the extractor on the M70 is a hell of alot better.

To me, the flat bottom receiver of the M70 seems designed better. The rem receiver looks like it was just spun on a lathe..

The fact the recoil lug on the M70 isnt a steel washer jammed between the barrel and receiver is another quality touch I notice instantly.

The other thing i notice is that the Winchester bolt handle isnt *soldered* on like the remington.

Again, these are just opinions that i've gathered. good thing im the consumer, because if i didnt have a choice, i'd hate life

Less filling / tastes great.

....now back to the arts.