• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester pre-'64 action...is it THAT special???

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    I've heard often that the pre-'64 Win. action is quite desirable.

There's a benchrest gun in .243 at the LGS that is built off the Win. pre-'64 action (supposedly). Didn't go over it extensively as I wasn't familiar with the .243. But, having just read up on it a bit it's a pretty impressive round. I can see why a benchrest gun was chambered in it...

Anyway, it's a nice, heavy custom BR stock. Don't know who the maker was. It apparently had a high-end scope that was sold separately. I thought the asking of $900 was high...but now I'm not so sure..
    Obviously there's room for nego in the price, but I was wondering if the pre-'64 Win action is "all that".

I ran the bolt, and I gotta admit, I was impressed.

Should I take another- serious- look at this rifle?
    Wasn't really looking at this time, but if it's unique, and somewhat collectible....???

Re: Winchester pre-'64 action...is it THAT special???

If it is a pre 64 mod 70, then it will have a cone breech, big claw extractor. Collectible if all original gun. No more accurate than a rifle built yesterday.

It's probably more special as a collector's item. It's more folklore than anything.

But I love that action - beefy, straight action with the claw extractor...yeah it's special. It's basically the most up to date version of the mauser/1903 action. But I don't think it's any more accurate than any other blueprinted action.

The pre-64 craze is based on collectability. Winchester eventually began making that action again ands its called the "classic" action. FN also makes them...the SPR, and maybe another line as well.

Is there something awesome about the pre64/pre64 style controlled round feed, coned breech action? YES!! They're fantastic! Are Remingtons and post64 actions accurate and good? Yes.

The high value of a "real" pre64 winnie is ONLY if it is original. Put a new barrel/sights/drill/tap/stock on it, and it's no more valuable than anything else.

Hows this .243 from 1959 with less than 100 rounds through it? Funny, I was just thinking today about trading or selling it..

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

Understood, thanks.
    So, the nine bills asking may, or may not be reasonable depending on the quality of the mods done in the benchrest build.
    I just might have to take another look to dig a little deeper to find out. I have no idea if the action/barrel is all or mostly stock or if it's been extensively modded.

i dont know much about them, but i was reading they have some little springs that corrode easy, so they may not be the best for extreme use.

for anyone that has used one, do they work well in extreme condition such as being wet, ice, or sand in the action?

the open top would also leave me to believe the action wouldnt be as stiff as some.

the trigger is simple and seems like it would be hard to make fail.

for a tactical build, i think i would pass. an original in good shape would be a nice piece to have in the collection though:)

They don't hold gas as well as a Rem 700 if that is a concern.

ddj

Yes Winchester M70 Classic and the FN SPR are all that. FN SPR is what I had GAP build my 6.5x284 Norma. Yes the Winchester M70 243 depending on the parts used and the builder can be worth $900.00 or even more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyena74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

the open top would also leave me to believe the action wouldnt be as stiff as some.

</div></div>

...but the rest of the action has a lot of metal - overall it's probably even stiffer than your average receiver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnnycat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyena74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

...but the rest of the action has a lot of metal - overall it's probably even stiffer than your average receiver. </div></div>

The open top is balanced as the action is made from forged steel then heat treated. Not just bar stock like most others.

a lot of hand work went into building the old Pre-64 model 70's. I've seen several of the older pre-64's where the actions show that faces were not trued on a machine.

So if you're buying a collector item, yes the model 70 is a beauty.

But for modern day accuracy I'd much rather go with a CNC made action that has very exacting tolerances.

Hey Bob L., is that a Unertl scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bob L., is that a Unertl scope? </div></div>

Yes sir, sure is.. 12X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a lot of hand work went into building the old Pre-64 model 70's. I've seen several of the older pre-64's where the actions show that faces were not trued on a machine.

So if you're buying a collector item, yes the model 70 is a beauty.

But for modern day accuracy I'd much rather go with a CNC made action that has very exacting tolerances. </div></div>

Gotcha.
    I might try to see if they can turn up any history on it. It's been modified for sure- at least to the extent that it's not in the original stock anymore.

If it was used as a comp benchrest rifle, one would ASSume that work would have needed to be done on truing the action, I suppose. As you say, back then I would imagine that one straight out of the factory capable of holding sub-moa would have been very much the exception, rather than the norm, for a production rifle. I'm going to head over there this weekend and see what I can find out.

If it looks good, even if it's not for me, I'll pass it along in case someone else might be interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . .is it that special. . .

Aaaabbbbbssssooooeffinglutely!

That is all. </div></div>
    Is your phone tapped? We had just got done having this very conversation. How'd the hook up go for those couple pre-64s go?