• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Stealth 308 vs FN SPR A1

Wayfaerer320

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
PA
Aside from the fact that the Winchester has a 26" barrel and a different stock, are there any other differences between these two rifles?

Are the barrel contours/profiles the same on both the SPR and the Stealth?

I believe that the barrels are different. The SPRs were using chrome lined barrels based off the M240 blanks. The stealth should be a traditional none lined barrel

Based on your experience, comparing the two actions, how are the spr actions trued?

My SPR, which was one of the CDNN "over-run" actions with FredEricksburg misspelled as Fredricksburg, was extremely true. Good within .0002" or better. 95+% lug contact as well.

^^I'm sure you're info is dead on, I guess I was curious as to what they meant by "trueing". As there is more than one definition, even gun smiths seem to have more than one definition when they say, "the action was trued". But if a FN action is Trued, then purchasing a lot of custom actions does seem quite expensive, as with a FN you get the entire gun, ready to run to under $1200 (Bud's Gun shop last price sold) . From Bud's:FN 75424 TSR XP Bolt 300 Winchester Short Magnum 24" 3+1 Syn, Last Price MAP, $1174.00.
It really starts on thinking about paying for all that gun smith's "trueing", when one "true" from the factory with tube, trigger, stock, chambered etc. is in line with a stripped custom! Thanks for the heads up.

Bud's Gun Shop, : FN Herstal 4 + 1 308 Win. w/24" Fluted Barrel/Detachable Box LAST Price $1100.00
Bud's Gun Shop :
FN Herstal PATROL BOLT RIFLE 308 DBM 24 LAST Price, $950.00
Are both of these trued?
One thing is for sure, if you're sending your FN off to a smith for a new tube, and he wants to charge you for "trueing" you know right fast you're dealing with a crook! Again, thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
It's my understanding that no, both are not trued, only the SPR actions are. I can't think where I read that, but that has always been my understanding. That said, I've seen 2 other PBR's (forerunner to the TSR's) shoot, and they were also quite capable rifles. IMHO, FN makes some great products, especially for the money.

Thanks for the update, I hate to put out something that was wrong, so just to recap, FN actions are not generally trued, but if you have an spr action it is trued. When looking at an FN action, not a rifle, just the action, is there a SPR stamped on it? How would you know for sure, you were buying one of the trued actions, just by looking? For example you bought a Winchester -same action as the spr, but it is delivered to Win Un-trued, are any of these actions trued? If not, how far out are they? It still seems like one can buy a FN, having already been trued, in a complete and very capable rifle, without having to spend all kinds of extra money getting it trued, not to mention when you do need a new tube, an honest smith won't charge you at all for "trueing" as it is already trued!

Last edited:
I’ve had a couple SPR’s (308 & 300wsm) and now have a Stealth. I can tell you the barrel contour is extremely close. I measured it but didn’t write it down so I don’t have the exact measurement. IIRC, it was within .03” at the 24” mark of the SPR’s 24”muzzle and the shank was the same size of the SPR. No chrome lining in the stealth as mentioned above. It has standard size scope base holes, not the heavy duty screws of the FN nor does it come with a high quality base like the SPR does.

When I dropped my action in a takeoff McMillan A1 I had bedded for the SPR I had to open up the inlet slightly after removing the bedding. The channel from the mag area back to the action screw was just narrow enough not to fully seat. The recoil lug was also a touch wider in both directions. The stealth has a MOA Winchester trigger rather than the two lever of the SPR.

Both types of triggers can be tuned if you don’t like how they come from the factory, however, the MOA does need a spring to be replaced and I found a good source if you are so inclined.

That and the truing mentioned above (which I didn’t know about at the time I owned the SPR’s) is the major differences.

Now for the little things.

Because I reload I can also say that the chamber on my Stealth is also different. The free bore is much shorter and the chamber case dimensions also appear to be tighter. Don’t miss read that, the SPR was not Remington sloppy by any means. It’s almost like the Stealth has a minimum spec chamber as my brass requires very little sizing. 175 smk’s run into the lands of my Stealth at around 2.785” COAL where the SPR, IIRC was a good .050 longer or more... I got rid of my SPR measurements when I sold the rifle.

Performance differences...

The 26” Stealth is a good 75-90fps faster than the 24” SPR was.

My best loads in the SPR after I bedded it would run in the .4-.6’s at 100 yards for five and before bedding, was a .7 of an inch. The Stealth is by far the most accurate factory rifle I have had the pleasure of owning. Mind you it’s been restocked and bedded now... so I guess it’s not necessarily a spec factory rifle anymore. But it has now shot several groups in the .2-.3’s during load testing.

The last time I was at my 1000 yard range I was doing a drill where I would get out of position for every shot and it just hammered the 800 yard steel target, 15 shots all inside of .25 milrad on my FFP reticle and here’s the kicker, I was using pulled (de-milled) 175’s, some of which I know to be out of round. To say I am pleased with the Stealth would be putting it mildly. Fast and accurate, I am going to be holding on to this rifle. And to think I was considering cutting the barrel down but decided I should shoot it first, glad I did...

I picked up my Stealth used a couple years back and it looked unfired. The clerk told me the previous owner had won it at a local gun club and didn’t like it. If I was a betting man, I’d bet he didn’t like the chamber as I could see it causing a problem with standard grade factory ammo... I know FGMM ammo will be jamming into the lands a little.

Restocked
Firearms2013025.jpg

Firearms2013023.jpg

Last edited:
There is a lot more to separate an SPR from the Stealth than a trued action. The SPR comes in a McMillan stock with an aluminum bedding block. The trigger is a two lever Mod.70 design which is easily adjusted to appropriate weights for a tactical rifle and has a very clean break. The barrel is chrome lined and reportedly has a life in excess of 10K rounds. The rifle has a 20 MOA rail (I believe Near is the manufacturer). On top of all this, the rifle is guaranteed to be 1" or under out of the box. The exception to this is the A3G model which is guaranteed at 1/2". The rifle has a lifetime "performance" guarantee. If you ever shoot the barrel out to the point that it will not hold 1", FN will replace the barrel at no cost to the owner.

Niles was faster than I am. Great post. Niles, other than the things you mentioned, how do you like your Win.? :)

There is a lot more to separate an SPR from the Stealth than a trued action. The SPR comes in a McMillan stock with an aluminum bedding block. The trigger is a two lever Mod.70 design which is easily adjusted to appropriate weights for a tactical rifle and has a very clean break. The barrel is chrome lined and reportedly has a life in excess of 10K rounds. The rifle has a 20 MOA rail (I believe Near is the manufacturer). On top of all this, the rifle is guaranteed to be 1" or under out of the box. The exception to this is the A3G model which is guaranteed at 1/2". The rifle has a lifetime "performance" guarantee. If you ever shoot the barrel out to the point that it will not hold 1", FN will replace the barrel at no cost to the owner.

A McMillan stock with aluminum bedding block?
Never heard of such a beast.

The SPR A3G's are (or were at thet time i bought mine) bedded with Marine Tex by GA Precision, and do hold the 1/2 moa waranty...it shoots lights out for an $1850 rifle. My SPR A5M doesnt have the 1/2 moa waranty from FN but it shoots just as well as my A3G. I've heard the same to be true for some of the A1's, too.

All in all, you can't go wrong picking up an SPR for under $2k because they shoot just as well as 90% of the customs being put together at twice the cost. If you dont care that youre shooting something that doesnt have a custom action, then an SPR is a GREAT option.

My understanding is GAP is no longer doing it, FNH is doing it in house in a similar fashion. At leat that is what I heard.

I fell out of love with my SPR because of the DBM (first gen) and switched it over to a FLP. It worked but FN puts a cut on the action for some reason right where the cartridge retaining lip is. 80 percent of the time it would feed right, the other 20 I’d have a double feed on my second to last round. The reason for the switch was I had three DBM mag’s break with in the first two months of use, to FNH’s credit they kept replacing them... I wish they still made a FLP, if they did I’d get another one. I’ve looked at the A3G but detest the adjustable saddle system they are using on the McMillan and how easily it shoots loose. I suspect the model with the A5 stock would do the same... still have a bad taste in my mouth from the original DBM to trust the new model.

Hows yours doing?

Last edited:
To clarify some things:

SPRs, regardless of model (A1, A1a, A2, A4, A3G, A5M,etc) are "trued". By trued, it is meant that the action face is trued, the bolt face is trued and the locking lugs are lapped. SPR actions can be identified by "FN Special Police Rifle" on the left side of the receiver. They always came with the two-lever original M-70 style trigger. Their barrels are always hammer forged, chrome-lined. Since the second generation "A series", they have had McMillan stocks. The first generation SPRs with HS Precision stock and 26" barrel were the only ones with M-240 barrels and aluminum block bedding. All subsequent SPRs, made by both USRAC and FNM in Columbia, SC have 24" or 20" barrels purpose built for the precision rifles. Another difference on SPRs is the headspace held to the bottom .002" of SAAMI for its caliber.

PBRs, PBR-XPs and TSR-XPs do not have the trued action. They do not have the chrome lined barrel, but are still hammer forged. PBR and PBR-XPs have the receiver marked "FN Patrol Bolt Rifle" on the left side. PBRs have CRPF actions, XPs have CRF actions. They have the same two-lever trigger. They were made in New Haven, CT at the USRAC plant. Headspace met the bottom half of SAAMI allowable.

TSR-XPs are not trued, non-chrome lined barrel, hammer forged. TSR-XPs have the CRF action, TSR-XP USA have the ultra short action with CRPF. They are built in the FNM plant in Columbia, SC. Thay have the new Winchester MOA trigger, FNH calls this the "Tactical Sport Trigger". It is the same three lever trigger as current Winchesters. TSRs hold headspace in the bottom half of SAAMI allowable. Left side receiver is marked "FN Tactical Sport Rifle"

M-70s from USRAC had the original two lever trigger, non-chrome lined barrels, hammer forged. They held SAAMI headspace. Receiver will be marked "Winchester" with the model and caliber being role marked on the barrel, left side. Some receiver markings have changed over the years to show licensed by Olin, and other remarks such as made in the USA, etc.

M-70s from FNM in Columbia have the new MOA trigger. Other wise they are the same as their USRAC predecessor.

Hope this helps.

^^^^^^The above is as good a post as I've ever seen, informative and to the point! Thanks for the clarification(s)! The SPR guns are truly worth every penny, having a trued action should keep the owner from ever having to pay for that in the future ( after 10-15,000 rounds) when it comes time for a new tube. I know the FN's shoot really well, and they "give fits" to custom makers, as the FN's shoot as well as most customs, for less than 1/2 the money, not to mention the CRF. Again "Action Guy" thanks for the very knowledgeable post!