• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What value do you give the wind on the angles?

• Half Value

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • 3/4 Value

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • More refined, like 3/4, 1/2, 1/4...

Votes: 70 67.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.6%

• Total voters
For reference here is how I have this in my data book.

data book.jpg

Reactions: alexandru.pricop
Make the numbers for wind speed as large as possible without bumping into adjoining chart sections, I'm going to shrink it and slap it on my impeller cover.

I like the zero's also.

As a practical change to method, all it means is that your finger slides out from center to either 90* or 270* rather than 0*.

Reactions: Jack Master
Greetings all!

This is "Greekman", an old member, that drops by from time to time to catch up.
Way back then I posted a practical method of calculating wind value, which I will repeat here.
(Admirably the 'Hide has progressed a lot on practical ballistics)

How to Calculate Wind Values with your Compass (or Protactor)

The goal is to calculate a wind angle correction with simple means, no printed data books, and no trigonometry!
But to do that one has to understand some trigonometry.....😳😳

The key is to understand that sine and cosine values are projections of the (wind) force on the X and Y axis.

Have a look at this pic:

85d2f3f59329227faabb1656da4c8eae.jpg

What I have done is plot the two axis on a piece of paper. Both are the same length, 40mm, but you can use any length, the longer the better.
I assumed that the wind comes from 2 o'clock, which is 30 degrees off the horizontal.

Then I used my compass to plot the wind force vector at the angle it comes from, again 40mm long. Equal length of is Important.

What is left to do is to project the wind "vector" on the X axis to get the correction value.
So we get 34 out of 40 = 0.85 or 85%
and
Cosine of 30 degrees = 0.8660 (y)

And this is a half done Wind Rose, based on my method.
It has a generic scale drawn and a wind value scale every 15 degress of angle.
One can have a blank wind rose like this and draw wind lines as needed when in the field.

c18dd5ed5b73fa641fbe436d9f177c23.jpg

Here is how the method is applied to the "corrected Lowlight's wind rose"

aade4bfc44f2192b881b6c29e517d598.jpg

You can put a ruler on your screen to verify yourself.

And riifraff's wind rose is very close to my method.

34862879784d7f2cdc830c3bbf9c212c.jpg

A wind that comes at 30 degrees off the bore axis will have a value of 0.5, right?

Well, in this wind rose, it drops right in the middle of the 10 squares riffraff has drawn!

And what about a 2 o'clock wind?

It drops right in the middle of square no9, and is eyeballed at 0.85!

Just as simple as reading distances on a map!

Hope you found it of use....regards!

Last edited: