• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wind at W.A.R. Rifles / Geissele Match in Tremont, PA?

stanley_white

If it ain’t broke, you can’t resist.
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Washington D.C. Metro Area
    In 2024 I will be shooting the W.A.R. Rifles / Geissele Match in Tremont, PA.

I have shot two PRS matches so far, at locations where wind was negligible to nonexistent.

I am looking forward to windier conditions at W.A.R. Rifles / Geissele.

For those of you that have shot there, care to share any information abnout the wind?

Thank you in advance.

-Stan

There is no one direction the wind will blow. Its like a giant soup bowl with outlet on one side so wind will swirl in & out. You are shooting from the side of a mountain to the bottom on the other side so what you feel might not be what the bullet experiences in flight. It will certainly teach you.

Are you shooting the one dayers or the pro match?
    The one day matches have larger targets and higher par time so its a bit easier than the pro match.
    The facility is great and Drew puts on a great COF

There is no one direction the wind will blow. Its like a giant soup bowl with outlet on one side so wind will swirl in & out. You are shooting from the side of a mountain to the bottom on the other side so what you feel might not be what the bullet experiences in flight. It will certainly teach you.

Are you shooting the one dayers or the pro match?
    The one day matches have larger targets and higher par time so its a bit easier than the pro match.
    The facility is great and Drew puts on a great COF
    Thank you!

I am shooting the one day matches.

I spoke with Drew on the phone before enrolling, to ensure the matches were not beyond me as a new shooter, and he was very kind.

-Stan

Reactions: Haney
    Thank you!

I am shooting the one day matches.

I spoke with Drew on the phone before enrolling, to ensure the matches were not beyond me as a new shooter, and he was very kind.

-Stan
    Just tell your squad if you need any help. Its always a great group of shooters.

Also, best to have a 4WD to get there :)

Reactions: stanley_white
    Lol. Wind goes all over the place

I remember both targets being same distance but one to far right one to far left.

Wind holds were opposite.

Best advice I can give is be on glass , spotting watching other shooters. Also lots of times the target and dirt will be beat up on one side

You in DC? Try the mason Dixon Prs matches. Range isn’t near as cool as tremont/Pigg/mkm but laid back and real
    Helpful people

Reactions: sachsmart
    Theres always more wind then you think out there. I started just adding .2 to my best guess and it worked well. Its really tough if you get a tail wind there. Either way its a fun, challenging place to shoot and the people there are great.

WAR is my favorite place to shoot. I usually close out there year there with their October match and its usually been cool but wind hasn't been terrible, usually holding one far edge of the target. Max range is 1250 or so.

The first time I shot there I used a stock remington 700P in 308 with a 4 round internal box, and I had a blast. So don't worry and just have fun.

WAR is my favorite place to shoot. I usually close out there year there with their October match and its usually been cool but wind hasn't been terrible, usually holding one far edge of the target. Max range is 1250 or so.

The first time I shot there I used a stock remington 700P in 308 with a 4 round internal box, and I had a blast. So don't worry and just have fun.
    Thank you!

-Stan