• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Windex for AR cleaning ?

BurtG

GOLDEN TICKET HOLDER
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2022
    Northeast
    Anyone heard of such a thing. @theking recommend it

C15A00EA-E728-408D-80BA-041A822F675F.jpeg

I've seen custom paint videos on YouTube (painting motorcycles and such) where they de-grease the panel with Windex. Blew my mind but it clearly worked.

I think better slightly more expensive cleaners will prevail.

Reactions: shoobe01
    My Windex application is to neutralize the corrosive action of Russkie ammo before even leaving the range.

I use Hoppes once I get home to clean my stuff.
    What window cleaner still has ammonia in it?

What window cleaner still has ammonia in it?
    Good question....
    Just like my primers and powder and ammo, I’m using “old” stock.
    The windex jug is about empty though.
    I might have to come up with another solution.

Good question....
    Just like my primers and powder and ammo, I’m using “old” stock.
    The windex jug is about empty though.
    I might have to come up with another solution.
    I bet the off brand versions might have ammonia in them still. I remember shooting 5.45X39 Russian ammo in a Polish Tantal. Windex was the rescue.

Reactions: MadDuner
    Pfft. Amateurs.

Gasoline.

Set a timer and let your parts soak for 5 mins. Pull them out of the gas and lay on a towel but don’t wipe them down yet. Next, get a match and light them on fire. Once you smell rubber just blow them out. Lube up with used motor oil and you’re in business.

Last edited:
    Pfft. Amateurs.

Gasoline.

Set a timer and let your parts soak for 5 mins. Pull them out of the gas and lay on a towel but don’t wipe them down yet. Next, get a match and light them on fire. Once you smell rubber just blow them out. Lube up with used motor oil and you’re in business.

Sissy. If you use 2-stroke premix you can just shoot it until the gasoline is gone. Keeps it lubed.

o_O

Drop it into boretech c4 and wipe it off.

Or just keep putting clean mobile 1 on it and letting it run. I haven't ever cleaned the bolt on my 3 gun rifle that's in excess of 15k rounds now. Just oil when it's starts slowing down.

I don't know why people insist on re-inventing cleaning. Use a solvent that dissolves what you're trying to get rid of. Windex isn't a solvent, it's pretty much water.

Reactions: BurtG
    My Windex application is to neutralize the corrosive action of Russkie ammo before even leaving the range.

I use Hoppes once I get home to clean my stuff.
    You don’t have to do that. I live on the Texas gulf coast and even after a few days of not cleaning my rifles there wouldn’t be any rust or corrosion anywhere. I would normally clean my AKs the same day but not always.

I would run water from the hose down the gas block, gas tube, barrel, and on the front half of the bolt carrier. I would then hang my rifle by the sling and let it drip dry for a bit then spray reassemble. The corrosive stuff doesn’t reach the receiver, bolt, or even much past the gas piston. Never had any problems and I used to shoot tons of 5.45 and 7.62.

Reactions: BurtG
    Mr. Clean & Brylcream..."a little dab will do ya."
    Mr. Clean cleans the blood spatter off the weapon and the Brylcream lubes and improves the smell and performance, and as added bonus, it styles your hair for those intimate times.

As someone said, Windex is made in different flavors. I just bought some ammonia-based Windex a couple months ago.

Reactions: FredHammer
    How about some G96 for cleaning? I'd get a cologne that smelled like it! It does a pretty decent job too!

FYI don’t use ammonia around bleach…a highly exothermic reaction can result, with poison chloramine gas as a byproduct. Or with another type of bleach, a bunch of potentially semi-explosive oxygen.

I keep the ammonia Windex in a cabinet for windows, and the vinegar Windex in the bathrooms for cleaning. Edit: I also tell my family about this.

Slightly different, but here’s some poor Buffalo Wild Wings schmuck that died from some chlorine gas from this mix that was spilled on the floor:

“Super 8 is a mixture of 8–10% sodium hypochlorite in water, stronger than household bleach. Scale Kleen contains 22–28% phosphoric acid, 18–23% nitric acid, and less than 1% urea.”

I’m no chemist, just what I’ve read. Your PSA for the day.

(Also, don’t weld something after cleaning it with brake cleaner, esp. the chlorinated kind. Unless you like dying of phosgene gas like in WWI)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Makinchips208
    70 or 90% Isopropyl alcohol cleans and degreases, cheap too. 90% evaporates more quickly........

I've seen custom paint videos on YouTube (painting motorcycles and such) where they de-grease the panel with Windex. Blew my mind but it clearly worked.

I think better slightly more expensive cleaners will prevail.
    Plain old rubbing alchohol is about the best pre paint cleaner made.

Speaking of The King, did he change his username? Banned?

I
    Speaking of The King, did he change his username? Banned?
    another OG contributing member banned by Napoleon

“I don’t need those people I have hundreds signing up everyday “

Meanwhile those hundreds are feds / arftards / AI / etc

Reactions: TheBigCountry