• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wine Thread

As someone who was introduced to wine from waitressing at Italian and French restaurants in college, I'm all about finding the right wine to pair with food. So there isn't 'a' wine you can recommend in general ... for me it's all about what's the right wine for what you're eating or doing, even if what you're eating is no more than buttered popcorn or a hot dog. That being said I've always been partial to the Old World wines since that's what I knew. I've recently started getting more into New World ... California, New Zealand, Australia. My suggestion is to get a good book and start to learn ... it's a fun hobby to get into and good news is you can get a pretty good start with a fraction of what you'll spend on guns and ammo! My hubby got me Wine Folly for Christmas last year and it's by far the best, easiest to understand, practical and useful wine book I've ever read. As someone else here said "it's a journey" and it's a lot of fun to be on!
Oh and the other thing to consider investing in, if you really start to get into good wine, is a Coravin. Total game changer. You can extract a glass at a time from a bottle without removing the cork, preserving the wine indefinitely. Has made it so I can drink some of our early 90s Barolos without any guilt!

Cooking spaghetti tomorrow night. Picked up a few to test out. (We liked the Claret and Decoy so they are the current standards) There’s not a big selection at my local small town grocery. These are top shelf here. However, the largest wine selection in the state is 30 mins away, and we’ll hit it up soon.
View attachment 7300633
That Decoy is the value wine for Duckhorn. When you get to the state store, buy a bottle each of Duckhorn Cabernet Sauvignon and a bottle of Merlot. If you like Decoy, you'll love Duckhorn.

Their high end wine tends to come from "Three Palms Vineyard". Those are over a Benjamin apiece and hard to find. So stick with the regular Duckhorn and thank me later.

Reactions: ccasanova
How’d I do?
Where you are able, when selecting a Bordeaux, I tend to stick with the Grand Cru opposed to the Cru Bourgeois. It's not that Grand Cru guarantees goodness or that Bourgeois is necessarily bad. It's just that your chances are better of getting an acceptable quality. Think of it in terms like Grand Cru is Knob Creek or Booker's and Cru Bourgeois is regular Jim Beam. (It's more complicated than that, but just trying to draw a comparison) Also, Bordeauxs are meant to lay down for a few years to allow the tannins to soften. Sometimes if you get a young bottle, it may be unpleasantly astringent. It might be 5-8 years before it's ready. Not always, just something to keep in mind.

The guy helping me last night was young, and not as experienced as most of their staff. They advertise 6,300+ varieties, and I believe it, as the store is huge. I’ll pick up some Duckhorn next time. Also will look for some of the others mentioned in this thread.

@deltaheavy I’ve been watching/reading Wine Folly vids/articles the past week, and learning. I agree with your thoughts about practicality and simplicity.

Is it strange that starting out, I seem to prefer darker/dryer/stronger reds (Cab Sav > Pino Noir) and reds to whites? It could be what they are paired with, but even after dinner, just tasting and drinking to enjoy/learn seems to be that way.

Wasn't big into wine until I lived/worked in Italy for three years, '14-'17. Brunellos and Barolos spoiled me. We've also been making annual trips to Napa during the holidays since we've been back CONUS. Big fan of Howell and Spring Mountain vineyards.

Given COVID bullshit, we've been straight up murdering our supply (only a few weekends worth):

20200330_093414 (5).jpg

View attachment 7300706
My palate is a bit more refineried, I insist my drink to pare well with Doritos and Dinty Moore.

You forgot
View attachment 7300706
My palate is a bit more refineried, I insist my drink to pare well with Doritos and Dinty Moore.

You forgot :
1587683995567.png

And the end of all:
do you know how th make Mogen David wine?

Kick him in the balls.
Concord

Tasting Note: A nice sweet wine with aromas of fresh Concord grapes that finished eleg

The best advice I was ever given "try different kinds and find out what works best for you". I found out that I don't like really dry red wines, there are some white wines I like but once again, not too dry. I prefer Jacobs Cellars and it is cheap. More expensive does not always mean better, because it could have sat for too long in the wrong conditions and turned to vinegar.

Reactions: Maggot
Having this tonight. A very special barrel I won at auction. You can't really see it but the bottle is deep etched and filled with gold leaf. This is a really magnificent, yet still young, wine.
View attachment 7288995

We were there in 2013. Loved the speakeasy hidden in the basement. My wife loved their Viognier. Much better than Stag’s Leap.

wife and I are Pinot fans . Twomey is her go-to. Their 2013 Russian River was awesome. This one is very very close.
F4E2DE71-8FFE-4EA8-9801-6F136C291F23.jpeg

Random fun fact I learned on a work trip to New Zealand recently: their Pinot noir and Gris is garbage.

Burn your money instead, it'll provide more utility.

If you like whiskey and hate beer like me, try port wines. They’re the best.
I was trapped in my room on the Azores in the middle of a hurricane with nothing but a Swanson tv dinner and a bottle of 40 year ruby port.

I have not been able to drink port since. 🤮

I have been for a very long time a fan of Napa Cabs. I know California is a shitbag state but damn the true Napas not blends seconds etc.. are absolutely world class. That said for 25-30 btl Sterling Cab is very very hard to beat. It lingers nicely on the pallet but not too heavy. It goes great with everything in my opinion. NOT the vintners blend. Cakebread, Jordan, stags leap (all of them), caymus are all faves, but cost double if not triple the sterling and may need to be decanted a lot longer before enjoying.

Add another fantastic Red Blend to the list: “Tenshen”.

Runs about $20 or $25 a bottle and is well worth it.

They also make a rosé, a white blend and a Cab, but I’ve only had the red blend. Caymus is still my favorite wine, but the budget doesn’t always support Caymus.

Random fun fact I learned on a work trip to New Zealand recently: their Pinot noir and Gris is garbage.

Burn your money instead, it'll provide more utility.
I spend January - May in NZ for the last few years, and have found a few good Pinots. There are several good wineries in the Marlborough and Nelson areas of the south island. My favorite Pinot Noirs are still from Willamette Valley in Oregon. Especially like some of the Rex Hill vintages from the early 2000's.

Reactions: chrome
I spend January - May in NZ for the last few years, and have found a few good Pinots. There are several good wineries in the Marlborough and Nelson areas of the south island. My favorite Pinot Noirs are still from Willamette Valley in Oregon. Especially like some of the Rex Hill vintages from the early 2000's.

Spent most of my wine touring in the Central Otago valley. I'll admit I am not a white wine guy at baseline, but gave 10'ish vineyards a try. It simply felt like I was tasting straight up liquid green pepper in my glass :(

• Haha
Reactions: Joel Danielson
Enjoying Decoy Cab tonight...our favorite so far. Will look for Duckhorn next time I get to the bigger store.

I picked up the rest of the Decoy wines we haven’t tried. We’re really liking them so far.

They did have Duckhorn and Caymus. I didn’t pick any up this trip, but will soon. My birthday is coming up And one of those with a steak sounds promising.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 29
Well, we’ve been through all the Decoy, and most of the Duckhorn offerings. The Duckhorn Cab was great. We prefer Cakebread Chardonnay over the Duckhorn Chard. Picked up Mayacamas Chardonnay for a special occasion. Really wanted the Caymus Cab, but held off.

What’s your favorite $50-$100 Cab and Pinot Noir?

Well, we’ve been through all the Decoy, and most of the Duckhorn offerings. The Duckhorn Cab was great. We prefer Cakebread Chardonnay over the Duckhorn Chard. Picked up Mayacamas Chardonnay for a special occasion. Really wanted the Caymus Cab, but held off.

For under $100, our favorite Cabs are:

For under $100 Pinots:

All of these are in our around Spring Mountain

well if your going to wine you have to have some cheese
1592871834320.png

and then you really need someone playing a violin to make the whole picture complete
1592871901114.png

and of course its a tiny violin cause no one wants to hear an adult wine .

Rombauer chard is very popular. Although I am not all about it personally. Grgich Hills chard is good too.

Why don't you give "The Prisoner" a go. It's a red blend. I think you will like it.

Rombauer chard is very popular. Although I am not all about it personally. Grgich Hills chard is good too.

Why don't you give "The Prisoner" a go. It's a red blend. I think you will like it.
Rombauer chard is also well known as “cougar juice”. 😂

Reactions: Soulezoo
A friend of mine once told me, she gave up her virginity for a bottle of Micheloeb Ultra and some Provolone Cheese!

I’m a Pinot Noir drinker here. Picked it up about 6 years ago and quickly realized I’d rather stay in the $18-30 a bottle range. La Crema is a great budget Pinot. Decoy was great but the flavor has changed with the vintage. Currently drinking Sonoma Cutrer and Duckhorn Migration. The Migration is normally $34-36 a bottle. Scored a case at $23 a bottle.

château margaux
get your credit card warmed up
Funny you mention that now.
I just received the email to purchase a futures contract for this. 2019 vintage at only $470 a bottle.

Of course, that is dirt cheap compared to a 2005 (really any vintage) Petrus.

Let's see, a bottle of Petrus or a new Tangent Theta with Sphur mount...hmmm.

Go be poor somewhere else!!

• Wow
Good price, if the harvest was a good one you can figure it being around $1500 a bottle in a decade or so.

Good price, if the harvest was a good one you can figure it being around $1500 a bottle in a decade or so.
I don't know what the overall vintage score is for 2019 for Margaux region, but the specific wine is rated 98-100. Although it does need to be properly cellared for at least 15 years.

I don't know what the overall vintage score is for 2019 for Margaux region, but the specific wine is rated 98-100. Although it does need to be properly cellared for at least 15 years.
I think I paid 1150 for a ‘06 bottle about 7 years ago. Can’t afford to be frivolous now that I’m married.

Here's today's selection for lunch with charcuterie:
View attachment 7309229
It's something you will not find anywhere else. White Barbera. The taste profile is close to a less sweet Viognier.
Oh man, I make a mean charcuterie tray. Work next to this place— Spanish cured meat and cheese distributor.

wife and I catered our own wedding withselections from this place:

Reactions: Soulezoo
The best advice I was ever given "try different kinds and find out what works best for you". I found out that I don't like really dry red wines, there are some white wines I like but once again, not too dry. I prefer Jacobs Cellars and it is cheap. More expensive does not always mean better, because it could have sat for too long in the wrong conditions and turned to vinegar.

try Dr. Loosen Rieslings or other German rieslings. Dr. Loosen is a great bargain proposal offering easy drinking quality.

Pinot Grigio recommendations? I need some on hand to cook with and drink.
Mezzacorona. About $12 for a 1.5L bottle. From the Adige Valley in Italy. The Dolomites. Beautiful part of the world. PG is also grown in California, but it usually is never as good as Italian PG.

château margaux
get your credit card warmed up
Along with the other 1st growths! A friend said he drank them for free essentially. Said he’d buy two cases, wait 5 years and sell the 2nd case for what he’d paid for both cases originally. Chateau Lafite mostly. I never had the balls to try that, so I stuck with Pape Clement level stuff. 1982 was a favorite. Have switched since then to California vintages. Shafer is one of my favorites, along with Del Dotto and Groth. For everyday wines, I hit the Costco bin and pick up bottles that look interesting. All Bordeaux style.